WHAT THE HELL WE DIDNT PICK UP WYNNES OPTION?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by dismemberment, Dec 3, 2012.

1. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    He probably isn't worth more that $250k, if you're only looking at last year. Which is how our FO seems to operate with Hinchey in the team. They overreacted to one really good year of Wynne and paid him beyond what he should have earned (and similarly over-rewarded Larentowicz, et. al.), and now they're overreacting to one bad season and letting guys go left and right in a panic to try to get out of the problem they created for themselves.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though to be fair to Hinchey, Plush was in charge when they gave Wynne the new deal.

3. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a very important distinction to make. Thanks for remembering Jason.

4. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to say it but Colorado might lose Wynne hear. What is sad is that the FO didnt learn from the Houston-Ching-Montreal situation that happened last season. There is not much you can do as an MLS club on one hand. It is a dissapointing reality to MLS..

5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird, I thought MLS said all contracts had to be for 3 years but he is already into his option now after 2 years.

Yet another example of our poor FO.

6. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Fair enough, even if I feel no obligation to be fair to Hinchey after how all of this has gone down ;).

Plush indeed had final authority to award that contract, though I do wonder at what point Hinchey was micromanaging as well, given we heard about half-way through last year via Gary that Hinchey was butting in on player acquisitions.

22SteveD repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would of thought Bravo would be person coming up with Salary$ and Either Plush or Bravo would rubber stamp it?

DO I have job duties confused?

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Standard MLS contracts tend to be 2 years + 2 team-held option years + 1 team-held option year. So its not unusual that Wynne would be in an option year right now.

That's certainly how things seem to be right now. It wasn't as clear in the 2010-11 offseason when it was Plush/Bravo/Smith.

9. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typically, I agree with your sound analysis but the 2010 team was a mid-table team with mid-table talent. They got hot & lucky simulatneously at the right time and carried home the cup. However, they were nothing more then a mediocre collection of talent.

22SteveD and Jasonma repped this.
  10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Mid-table is the best we've ever been with any roster we've ever had. Even in the years of Valderrama that are your beloved (during which we had quite a few mediocre and poor players to go along with Valderrama, et. al., by the way).

I would never pretend the 2010 team were world beaters - I simply state they're the best we've had, which is a reflection more on how mediocre-to-poor we've been as a franchise.

jayd8888, spot and 22SteveD repped this.
  11. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I knew that you would offer a sanguine rebuttle. Moreover, IMO, you are correct.

BTW, my undying devotion to Valderamma is predicated on him alone. His skill, tactical sense, stature, etc. were wonders to behold. Often his instant decisions and insightful passes went awry due to the mediocre talent that surrounded him but Valderamma was like a museum masterpiece a delight to behold in any light and from any angle!!!

RapidStorm repped this.
  12. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Don't ask me how, but Marvell is not on the "available for the Re-Entry Draft" list. Yet Jamie Smith is.

So I don't know if this means we're negotiating, if Marvell's heading to some other league/team already, or what the deal is.

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They're still negotiating:

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that probably means Wynne and the Rapids are close, or Wynne has at least accepted the fact that nobody wants him at his current number.

Smith and Freeman aren't as close and/or believe somebody will want them at their current number. I find that highly unlikely.

15. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a player isn't selected in stage 1, can they remove themselves from stage 2? I totally understand these guys taking a chance that somebody else might pick them up and keep paying them the same money. They both probably know it is unlikely. It would also make more sense if they can then pull themselves out of stage 2.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe so, though if that's really their thought process then they'll probably sign contracts with the Rapids before Stage 2 happens anyway.