What place do you feel the 2013 Rapids will finish in the Western Conference?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by jayd8888, Jan 7, 2013.

?

What place do you feel the 2013 Rapids will finish in the Western Conference? Why?

1. 1st

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2nd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3rd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4th

20.0%
  5. 5th

20.0%
  6. 6th

28.6%
  7. 7th

8.6%
  8. 8th

11.4%
  9. 9th

11.4%
  1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Head coach at Anderson University.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Bump...now that we've seen the roster assembled, and have seen some pre-season games, does this change anyone's opinion?

I didn't post in the thread before, but didn't think they were a playoff team. My opinion hasn't changed, unfortunately. I'm thinking 7th or 8th.

3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I do think it is a good time to start thinking about where the Rapids will end up. Those that are much more in tune than I can rip this up, but here is what I think:

The Rapids will squeak in to one of the final playoff slots. They will start slowly, while everyone gets to know each other, then win some games in late April and May. Follow that with the traditional mid-summer swoon and a kick at the end to barely make it in.

Looking forward to the start of the season!

Rod.

4. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things have shaken up a bit, but I don't see much reason to change my gut reaction. Here's how it all shook out last year...

San Jose Earthquakes
    Real Salt Lake
    Seattle Sounders FC
    LA Galaxy
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    FC Dallas
    Colorado Rapids
    Portland Timbers
    Chivas USA

Have they improved more than the competition?

Right now I think SJ, RSL, LA and Seattle are going to take up 4 of the 5 slots. So the Rapids have to beat out the Whitecaps, FCD, Portland and Chivas. Of those four, I think FCD is in the best position to take the 5th slot, and I suspect that the Vancouver will be close.

The Rapids, Timbers and Chivas are different enough this year for there to be wonder if they're even better than last year.

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If breaks go our way we'll slip into one of the last playoff spots. More likely we'll be on the outside looking in, but still better than Chivas and Portland.

6. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll stick with my optimistic 5th.

7. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    SEA - On the strength of their defense, Rosales and mystery DP forward x to be signed at the summer break
    LA - I'm terrified of a rested Landon. And whatever DP they end up signing this summer.
    VAN - Teams that build around and emphasize defense do well in this league.
    CHV - Call it a hunch.
    SJ - Curse of Ballouchy. They caught lightning in a bottle last year, are dealing with injuries already, and will lose a number of players for the Hex.
    RSL - Their team defense is going to be more suspect this year, especially if the Dread Poet Society gets called up.
    POR - I also have a hunch that Caleb Porter will get his team to play the "attractive, attacking soccer" our team was supposed to be playing. Plus their atmosphere will help lure a summer DP. I think RSL, SJ and POR will come down to the last day for the last seed.
    DAL - Their midfield got weaker and depends too much on Ferreira playing out of his mind at age 33. And I don't think Schellas is a good coach.
    COL - We're in rebuilding mode, and missing half the necessary Legos. Our forwards are all question marks, as are our outside backs, and the likely continued starting of Pablo also opens up a chemistry question mark in midfield. And a single injury to a center back could be completely devastating with how this team has been constructed.

I also hate to say it, but our opening 3rd of the schedule might mentally rule us out of the playoffs. If we don't win our home opener against PHI, our next best bet for a win in May 4 against Toronto. Our best potentials for winning streaks are in the summer, but the first (CHI, MON, POR) are all road games, and the schedule makers did us no favors with 3 home games in short time against the east coast (NY, DC, NE). It's hard to point to a single place in the schedule and say "well hey, there's a place where we can get on a roll, get some confidence in the rebuilt system and climb the standings" unless we beat RSL in one of the first two matchups against them.

Stuart95, Dom. FC and Totoro repped this.
  8. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to admit I'm kind of intrigued by Sola.

9. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The combination of his bravado and the "purpose" Chivas are playing for this year (backwards as that may be, given its racial basis) has me wondering if they have the right ingredients for one flash-in-the-pan, "nobody believes in us" year. I don't see it as a lasting formula, and it's entirely possible it blows up in their faces hilariously this year. But I think they'll catch a number of teams off-guard.

10. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the team will start slowly this year, and it won't be until the second half of the season that the chemistry sets in. From what I saw of pre-season, we went 1-4 v. MLS teams, and only scored 3 goals. Seems like the team needed chemistry.

I pick the Rapids at 6th, and am hoping we can climb into the last playoff spot by the end of the year.

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey jayd you should run this again as new thread so we can compare poll results.

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I was going to yesterday actually but life got in the way.

13. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Haha. I guarantee you it will drop 2-3 slots.

14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    But Sarge, three of us will have no where to go.

jayd8888 repped this.
  15. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The "skinny" sums it up: "Patience remains a necessary virtue for the Rapids. This season should prove more profitable than the last, but the overall scope of the transition probably requires another year to truly reap the anticipated benefits."

The Braveja thing may need to be changed, but I'm still down with the playbook change.

Jasonma repped this.
  17. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this quote regarding Portland....

"The skinny: It takes time to implement the ideas Porter espouses. Just ask Colorado."

Suggests that at least in McCarthy's estimation the Rapids are succeeding, even if slowly. Optimists have an ally.

18. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    And the delusional, conspiracy theorist, etc. can usually find others of a similar ilk to triangulate their delusions. ;>) (please do note smiley)

More seriously we could probably still have another 19 losses and finish at his 'optimistic' 7th (w/ very few draws).

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States