What - nothing on Keegan?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Matt Clark, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can't, I might explode.

Well, I can't deny that if you were to ask me to define my disposition toward what's going on at Newcastle right now, I would choose the words "amused contempt". In fact, I used those very words with a mate of mine, Geordie born and bred, on the subject. He didn't seem to mind. That said, how could he?

Hmm. Except this is what makes this situation so unique. You'd be hard pushed to find another club that could attract an owner like Mike Ashley, with his replica-shirt wearing cod-fandom and his kneejerk populism (which was, lest we forget, acclaimed hysterically by the fans you defend).

Look, I think most neutrals would have a sneaking sympathy for the Newcastle fans. They deserve far better than they get. But no one should be blind to their own role in this (latest) debacle.

I'm a mildly diverted football fan chitter-chattering away on the internet. Oh, and hanging left this morning, if that's what you meant.

:p You're right, I counted Arsenal twice in my haste and one of those was of course a cup game. And may I say, that's quite a figleaf you have there.

I didn't make this argument. When the person you are addressing shows up, I'll join you in studying their response.

And well you might!

Interesting choice of words. By 'rationalise', do you mean "explain it away in the post-match conference" or "sit down and seek a rational explanation for why it happened"?

Does this sentence mean anything? I get the impression you've rather overreached yourself with "Sixthly". Five was already pretty good going.

Not at all. But then I appear to be distinguished from you in that I actually understand what "proleptic" means.

Oh but you should. It's terrific fun.

2. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I bet Keegan will play a beauitful, stylish brand of football with Newcastle United FC.

IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

3. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    How could I have missed this little gem of a thread?

4. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ho ho ho.. I like how your capital letters display your great reveal. You sir are a comedic genius and wasting your time treading the boards here.

As to debate about whether sacking Sam was a good idea, I have sympathy for him in that he took over at a very bad time (for him), he apparently had the signing of Elano lined up before Ashley wanted to look at the books. Unfortunately our books were in a sorry state because of the previous administration (we never really recovered from when Souness was in charge and we brought in Luque and Owen). Not just their fees but their wages... and with little in return. Boumsong in the January window too... with all Robson's good players going out within 6 months.

The idea that Sam had a poor little spell and we hastily cast him aside isn't true - you think the owner's of this club didn't know the fixture list and which games we should be picking up points in. Derby having 4 of their 9 points from us.... losing hopelessly against Wigan. What we see now is Newcastle heading into a tough run of games thinking "wow we should have got more points in those earlier games." You think Sam would have gotton more points against Man Utd, Arsenal or Villa? (maybe Bolton - he made that team he probably has the password to get through them).

We don't really have unrealistic expectations up here - we remember the club getting into the champions League - and if it wasn't for poor management in the handling of Robson's departure we'd be closer to there than where we are now. We think we should be around about 5th/6th place (if the club had been well run) we realise that at this moment in time, with how far we've fallen, we're a million miles from winning anything.... and probably 18 months away from a decent side that could finish in the top 8.

Why does everyone care so much about little old NUFC? since we're apparently not a big club - this sh*t didn't happen when Derby, Bolton, Wigan sacked their managers.

5. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasted my time reading, no wading, thru all your shite to find you avoided answering my question...

I was under the impression that since you're such an Expert (note the capital E) on other clubs performances, you might have an intellect that would reflect an opinion of yer own creation.

Silly me, apparently not.

6. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bolton, Derby and Wigan fans aren't deluded and certainly don't believe in appointing managers who have achieved very little in recent times.

That's why we appointed Megson...

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh. I'm frightfully sorry - you had a question, did you?

8. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha - how long before Big Sam goes back to Bolton.... He shall be hailed as the messiah of Bolton. "He returneth and He said 'do not try to pass the ball for it is evil - instead hoof that message of Satan as far away towards those that are forwards as is possible."

I still don't understand how Newcastle fans are deluded? Yes the f*ckwits that appear on Sky Sports News saying how Keegan will lead us to win the Champions' League (I'm convinced Sky Sports News keeps them in a cage outside St James' Park.) I don't judge Liverpool fans by the plebs who had a hastily-written "yanks out" on someone's bed sheet.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Like a nice case of the plague, maybe. But no better then that.

10. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Your little obsession with us is getting quite old fair smeagol...

11. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't you heard? We hate him more than you do.

All the fat twat has done is mouth off in the media since he left here. He also clearly lost interest in managing Bolton after he failed to get the England job.

12. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Well, you could start by reading your own post and thinking to yourself how does a team that hasn't won a trophy since 1969 think it has the right to play pretty, passing football.

For all his faults Allardyce wasn't going to get you in a relegation battle.

13. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Look at your forum tag line. Derf.

14. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Well then I guess it has done it's job if you're so bent out of shape about it.

Your hate is delicious.

15. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

My "haha" wasn't laughing in a sarcastic way - I found what you said to be genuinely amusing.... He seems to have done the same since leaving here "Newcastle wasn't big enough for me". Whatever you have to tell yourself to get out of bed Fat Sam.

16. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Getting rid of Big Sam wasn't Newcastle's mistake. Replacing him with someone who almost drove Man City into the way of Leeds United is.

17. Russell1892

Russell1892 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Newcastle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because the difference between now and when Allardyce was in charge is
    Man Utd (away)
    Bolton (home)
    Arsenal (away)
    Boro (Home)
    Aston Villa (away) - Surely Sam would have harvested 15 points from this little run - the man who masterminded our home draw with Derby? Or would he have the same 2 points in the bag that Keegan has?

A Celtic fan giving me a lecture on the last time WE won a meaningful trophy? Yes we think we have the right to good football - as any meaningful supporter in the country would. I find it odd than in an age of encroaching capitalism, romantic notions of how the game should be played are derided even more than ideas for football to put on thigh length boots and whore itself out.

18. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Your username kinda made me ignore anything you had to say.

19. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Me, bent out of shape? Your forum regulars made several complaints about me going on there. **************.

20. Arsenal_pwns_all

Arsenal_pwns_all New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    But it wouldn't change the fact that replacing Sam with Keegan was a stupid idea. Keegan bought and bought at Man City and drove their wage bill through the roof. He had a good 2 seasons there (1 season at the first division) but since then the team was falling apart, had massive debts and was suffering from Keegan's lack of on field tactics. If not for Thaksin I am sure this season's Man City would have been on the race for championship glory.

21. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I think I've missed it.

Are you a Man City fan or an Arsenal fan?

22. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    We all love some good banter.

I think more than not it's because you're an absolute wanker.

23. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Wanker, lot, southern fairy. Pssssssssssst, you're not English.

24. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually you are the first Spud who has noticed, and publically acknowledeged that. We were wondering how long it would take you lot to notice.

Regrettably, you get a prize...

25. mplsTOON

mplsTOON Member

Apr 25, 2006
    @ St James Park
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    erm, yeah I did but why bother...not that your answer would matter anyway.