What next for Omar Gonzalez

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can add in Italy and Spain.

Italy, it's one foreign transfer per year. Spain it's 3 non EU and non Cotonou agreement (Africa mostly) players per team.

A club would have to really want him.

Germany, Holland, Belgium are all open however.

3. SecludedMonkey

SecludedMonkey New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be cool to see Gonzo in Belgium. Standard Liege, anyone?

Maybe Onyewu can put in a good word.

4. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These certainly restrict him, but it has nothing to do with work permits, as I was simply mentioning that the work permit issues would really only hamper his entry into the UK leagues. Even if he has the required caps to automatically get a work permit in England, those rules would still hamper him entering those other countries.

As well, his Mexican passport allows him the ability to get a Spanish passport if he lives in the country for two years, which would allow free signing within the EU. Of course, this would mean a Spanish could would have to sign him as one of their non-EU players, but it's not necessarily unheard of.

Russia also could be an option (6+5 in the starting XI being their main squad restriction).

Plus, Serie A clubs can sign 2 non-EU players from abroad now.

Or Ligue 1 which has 4 non-EU players per squad.

Or Portugal where there are no foreign restrictions, save for some homegrown rules.

My favorite option is another championship year basking in the Southern California sun with the Galaxy, topped off with a trip to the Club World Cup.

5. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ons/2011/11/23/gIQAhiysoN_blog.html#pagebreak

6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to Germany Omar!

7. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It seems big strong Cbs can prosper there so I am all for it. Italy would be another good choice.

8. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like France... I think he'd fit in well there, and learn a lot.

9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    France has a lot smaller quick players so I think Omar would struggle more in that league. Plus if he could get onto a team in the EPL, bundesliga or serie A, he'd be playing in one of the top leagues in the world.

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    1 - Plenty of these types play in Germany, also.

2 - I'd definitely say France is the fifth best league in the world. That's pretty top.

11. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally a list of clubs interested in Omar:

France - Saint-Étienne, Lille, Toulouse

England - Newcastle

Netherlands - PSV Eindhoven

Germany - Hannover

Let the fun begin :D

12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All clubs I would love to see him at...

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got to make a move, if he wants NT looks, and to be the best player he can. When you've won the Cup, and are MLS defender of the year, and it still doesn't get you a look, you have to consider other options, if playing for the NT is a serious goal of his.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Agreed.

Chad Marshall didn't move after he won back-to-back DOYs and Best XIs and he's stagnated. Granted, injuries have played a role but there's also no denying he hasn't gotten any better the past couple of seasons.

(And I say this is an MLS fan. I'm not some Euro-snob but when you've outgrown your competition it's time to go.)

Like Marshall, OG is a big center back who as won Defender of the Year and made consecutive Best XIs and won an MLS Cup and a Supporters' Shield but hasn't broken into being a national team regular.

Gonzalez should see Marshall's career as a lesson in what can happen if one doesn't strike while the iron is hot.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    France!France!France!

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of think Newcastle would be a bad idea.

17. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah......lets nix Newcastle im thinking.....

im fine with all the other ones.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I kind of think unless the Home Office is gonna take Becks' word for it that OG wouldn't get a work permit.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't even think of that.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The Newcastle link is interesting given all of the (positive and negative) Onyewu comparisons Gonzalez gets on these forums.

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Why no to Newcastle? They are yet again established in the EPL and their defense isn't amazing. I think Omar and colocini would do great.

22. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Newcastle fans I know (and I know loads) aren't too happy with their defensive options. Depending on how he does Gonzo could see the field rather quickly. Or at least quicker then with other PL clubs.

23. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just such a big jump up that I think he would struggle initially. There are higher profile defenders like David Luiz, Laurent Koscielny, and Per Mertesacker who have come in with better resumes and struggled mightily.

Koscielny has seemingly turned the corner and the jury is still out on Mertesacker, but the point is that the EPL might not necessarily be the best place to bleed a new defender. That's especially true when you're dealing with the added pressure of a team that's competing for a CL spot.

I think it's often wise for players to take the Bradley/Dempsey route of joining middle-of-the-road clubs in elite leagues. It's a good way to get games against top competition and you have the potential to move up the ladder if you impress.

24. lilking24

lilking24 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically, Omar would be the 4th choice CB. Colo + Williamson (when healthy) is pretty damn good CB pair and Colo + Steven Taylor ain't bad either.

I think Lille would be a good spot for him. He'd be backing up Baša and Chedjou, but Rozehnal isn't really doing much on that team. Omar could come in as a #3, learn the league and the position and then take the starting position when one of the starters is eventually sold.

25. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For selfish reasons I think I'd prefer him to go Hanover of the clubs listed, I can watch him more easily. They don't really show French football in the states so i'd have to stream it up.

... But I will say though 4th choice CB's do get game time. Especially if Newcastle qualifies for the Europa or CL which is feasible. So he'd have opportunities to establish himself.