What is the USMNT biggest issue?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ppn512, Apr 9, 2014.

1. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our biggest issue is our group.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Cop out.

3. gaucho16

gaucho16 Member

Jul 2, 2012
    The USMNT are like the Wizard of Oz:

Jozy is the Cowardly Lion
    Donovan is the Tin Man
    Jermaine Jones is the Scarecrow
    Klinsmann is Dorothy...You're not in Germany anymore.

And Mexico are the Munchkins.

If Jozy finds his confidence, Jones keeps his head and Donovan finds his passion I think we'll be alright.

This being said, I think our biggest issue is the centerbacks.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I haven't watched that since I was a kid. why's Donovan the Tin Man and Jones the Scarecrow exactly?

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scarecrow sings "if I only had a brain" and Tin Man sings "if I only had a brain."

For Joness, gaucho16 said he needs to keep his head (i.e. limit recklessness, both in the challenge and in the attack), so I think that's pretty clear.

For Donovan he said if he 'finds his passion' so I'm thinking heart = passion for this metaphor. Though Tim Man also needed to be oiled, so I think the metaphor also works for how his body requires more maintenance now!

MPNumber9 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops, obviously meant to type Tin Man sang "if I only had a heart."

7. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's true. We can lament our central defense, or our converted fullbacks, or Altidore's club struggles, sure. But we don't have a single player that would start for Germany or Portugal, so compared to them our weakness is 'all over the field.' That's not to say we can't advance - we'll have to overperform but we've done it before. That being said if you put our current team in our cupcake of a group from 2010 - England, Slovenia, Algeria - I think we easily advance.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The gap between Reuss and Julian Green is rather wide, I must agree.

9. Chris Zito

Chris Zito Member

Oct 17, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree. Howard would definitely start for POR in goal. He would be 2nd or 3rd keeper for GER, but definitely in the 23. Bradley would START for Portugal, ride bench for GER. Guzan would ride bench for POR. Cameron might start for POR, at least ride bench. (POR defense is pretty shaky). Donovan & Dempsey might ride bench for POR as midfielders (obviously not strikers, where POR is extremely strong).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    What's the goalkeeping situation like for Germany? I know Neuer. But do they have the keepers from Dortmund or Leverkusen? Guzan might also be in the mix to make their squad.

11. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    No Decent striker is #1, poor CB's #2, no real creative midfielder, #3.

12. Big Football

Big Football Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Some beach in Florida,
    Club:
    Deportes Tolima
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    LOL :D Besides that obvious little detail of course!!
    I would switch: poor Defense is #1, No Decent striker is #2, no real creative midfielder, #3, overall talent is #4.
    One last thing, make a decision already as for the starting wingbacks.

13. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think too many of us are pessimistic on our chances. You are trying to compare our team to other team's playbook.
    I'll tell you what I think is going to happen...

Our right wing is not where our attack is going to come from so give up on the idea that we don't have a winger that can fly down the line and service. Our right wing will be there to stop the opposition and for that we have a good one in Bedoya, he doesn't only shuts down his man but he also helps tons in the inside.

Our attack is going to initiate from the left side, and through the middle...FJ, Dempsey, LD, Bradley, AJ and maybe even Green may have a hand in a game's outcome. I think there is a reason why Bradley has been sending quick balls over the top through the middle recently, he is practicing our game plan for the WC. We are not going to short pass our way in to the attacking third against our group foes, we are too slow and predictable for this group of opponents.

As for our defense, yes OG is not playing well enough, to me, it seems like he shines in the tough games but has his blunders in the easier games. Lucky for us, all of our group games will be tough, let's hope he still hold true to his M.O.

I have been in many games as a player and coach where the winner is not the most skilled team but the team that wanted it the most. It will be tough, but I think we have a chance to pull a rabbit from a hat here and there, after all, we are Americans and that is the way we come to play :)

Sparks27 repped this.
  14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the Wicked Witch of the West, then?

15. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we're going just by looks -- it would have to be Alexi Lalas.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I can't imagine any of the USMNT belting out the lyrics to any of the music from the Wizard of Oz.

It would probably be horribly off-key! :eek:

17. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    #67 aquablue, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I also think speed, or lack thereof, is probably one of the biggest issue with the recently seen formations. I think that counter attack is our best chance to nip a goal against Portugal or Germany, and we should aim at putting our fastest players on the midfield flank (FJ, Shea, Green) and hope Chandler makes it. keep Donovan as a sub due to his recent form. Zusi and Bedoya could be in there for late game defensive duties but they are not big speedsters and I think going out with those guys on the wing (or the out of form Donovan) would be a disaster and the majority of our advances will be handled easily. We in no way have the ability to short pass our way up through the middle as our central midfield is poor in controlling possession in comparison to Portugal, Ghana and Germany. Also, our strikers are not in form and not great with the long ball game, so a speedy wing combining with the central creative players (Dempsey, Donovan, etc) is the best chance we have sadly. That is why I favor Shea as a consideration, at least as a sub due to his speed and ability to run at defenders. The slow combination of Donovan and Zusi/Bedoya will be useless on the counter and they do not have the skill to beat high level defenders on their own. I'm not optimistic that we'll score at all vs Portugal if we go with that combination on the wing, and I have no hope vs Germany. Donovan is no longer the speedster we need on the flank and needs to be be replaced by FJ or Shea.

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This whole "we dont have one player who could start for (fill in the blank)" doesnt impress me very much. How many Dutch "could" start for Germany? And the Germans were home watching a Dutch-Spain final in 2010. And why aren't the scores 6-0 in the wc when the difference is supposed to be so huge.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  19. aquablue

aquablue Member

Jun 30, 2009
    It's true, the team cohesion factor (if that comes to pass) can obviate some of the lack of star power issues that we have. However, without a game breaker or superstar type player, the USA will be hard pressed to get past the quarters. A lot is luck though, so as Holland had the easier route to the finals compared to Germany.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A bunch. Their GK at the time could have reasonably started. Robben, Sneijder, RVP.

aquablue repped this.
  21. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe our goalkeepers are too good.

22. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this Wizard of Oz metaphor Tim Howard could end up being the man behind the curtain because our defenders are Oompa Loompas!

We need some flying monkeys!

23. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More seriously, though, is a lack of speed and ability to break down defenders 1v1 in our offensive players. We are unlikely to be able to mount many dangerous attacks through slow build up as the defense of all our group opponents is considerably stronger than CONCACAF opposition, so we need to be able to score on the counter, like v. Algeria in WC 2010 and even like in Gold Cup v. Costa Rica, and yet our likely starters are not that fast (anymore, in case of Donovan who once was).

I agree that we need Green and/or Shea and maybe even EJ as 2nd half subs to bring that spark. I also fear we might not score at all, unless Jozy could regain his past form and score a goal like the one vs Spain in Confed cup.

24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    You've got your movies confused. Munchkins.

25. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh shoot - that was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

The wicked witch out to get the US clearly would be Sepp Blatter