what is a futsal ball?

Discussion in 'Player' started by trevordinho, Jul 15, 2007.

1. trevordinho

trevordinho New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Ravenna
    i just recently heard of a futsal ball and i really dont know what a futsal ball is. can someone explain this to me?:confused:

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    It was invented by the Uruguaians as a training tool to train for the short passing outside game inside in gyms.

The ball is pretty heavy at that time. It had very little bounce and it did not run on a gym floor.

Some how it got bastardized into a game on it's own. 5 men on a side includes a keeper.

I liked it much better when it was just a training tool and not a game.

As a game you don't use walls. So if I had a choice about playing indoors and I could use walls or play futsal. I wouuld play futsal.

4. trevordinho

trevordinho New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Ravenna
    i play outdoor soccer and indoor soccer (with walls). do you think using a futsal ball can improve and develope better skills and why?
    should i purchase one?

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I think a futsal ball is an outstanding training tool IF you have someone to work with. I don't see much advantage for solo work.

The added weight and lack of bounce makes the individual work rather than allowing the ball to do the work. The same characteristics also require you to deliver a pass with authority.

Thus, the futsal ball is outstanding for receiving and delivering passes. I also like that the weight makes you execute your "moves" fully - no just going through the motions.

6. scorpioxyz

scorpioxyz New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    I'd say practice with as close to what you'd use in either indoor/outdoor match. For the money you'd spend, size 3, 4 or 5 in a cheaper training ball should develop the skills the same as a futsal ball for most players (although the Brazilians success tends to suggest otherwise in the links provided, some of those guys mentioned could use a medicine ball and have more skill than I'll ever develop/attain). For me, and this is by no means the final word on it, training, even playing has more to do with expectations of the equipment. If you are expecting a heavier and deader ball when it comes to you, maybe you don't judge or field it properly when you go to an outdoor match ? Same for passing a ball, the heavier and deader ball is harder to get to the intended recipient. Indoors and 5 on 5, the futsal is better for the smaller playing field and fewer players. But again, who you play with is going to have as difficult a time adjusting to the different ball types when the game goes outdoors. Adjusting to the differences might be more difficult for everyone.

As for accuracy in passing, a bad pass is a bad pass. If the smaller ball promotes better accuracy, get a smaller ball to build that skill. But ultimately, sooner or later, the skills have to be applied to a size 5 FIFA approved regulation sized ball. We play flag football, and a pop warner sized ball has a similar effect, ultimately we wind up playing the game with a collegiate or pro sized ball. The skill level has to be applied using the regulation ball size in the end. And in the higher degree of difficulty plays, there is a falloff in skills regardless of how much practice with a pop warner ball.

I've grappled similarly with whether to get a beach soccer ball or just take one of the practice balls I have and go to the beach and play in the soft sand. Running in that is hard enough without trying to play with a ball. So I decided against soccer at the beach. I'll play volleyball instead, which is more what a beach soccer ball looks like anyway. Want a less lively ball, don't pump it to max air pressures. The size issue, well, a size 3 or 4 could be purchased and underinflated (more appropriately, rather low end of the recommended inflation range) may work fine just the same ?

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Have you ever used a futsal ball?

8. scorpioxyz

scorpioxyz New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Yes, and I'm sure we all have, at one time or another and maybe not known the difference other than it was a different ball & experience. And just like I've used everything from an all leather soccer ball, even the fused rubberized nylon wound cheapie ball as a kid from Elementary thru and into High School years. Some of these products are labeled with logos, 1/2 the time the buyer/owner doesn't know the differences themselves.

Why, Have you ?

9. scorpioxyz

scorpioxyz New Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Since we're talking Futsal, traditional outdoor soccer, here's another distinction of yet another game that's even different from the indoor walled soccer:

Futebol de Salão

http://www.coastfutsal.com/?fuse=technique
    http://www.icfds.com/content2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=184&Itemid=2

There are differing thoughts on whether one is better than the other:

"Futebol de Salão however is the game that was widely played in Brazil right through to the early 1990's before FIFA's insistance on Futsal as the global game took hold. Whether Futsal has the same benefits to young players as Futebol de Salão is doubtful and there is a growing body of academic research which suggests that it would be best for children to play Futebol de Salão and adults to play Futsal."

And this quote has me chuckling:

"Ronaldinho in the Nike ad is playing futebol de salão. Would he be as good if he had played futsal instead?

"No way!" says Clifford."

So which is better for developing the skills. Futsal ball according to some is a size 3/4 ball with no difference in bounce, so what's wrong with my suggestion to use the youth balls ? Futebol de Salao is a size 2 with considerably less bounce and added weight to the ball. Kick around an underinflated size 3 ball ?

The links throw out the big names and legends of Brazilian soccer, yet the links refute one another as to what game these guys really played. And let's face it, the names thrown out to promote, that's like asking Tiger Woods which era of golf club is the better club to use to develop golf skills. I mean, look at the early years of Tiger Woods, his best years thus far were years he used smaller sized drivers, but if you listen to the experts, these 460 cc head drivers are the way to go and Tiger promotes and uses one today ? My point is, these legends and stars have played soccer all their lives, their skill levels are going to be beyond what 99.9999999 % of anyone that plays some form of soccer will ever be.

I use smaller soccer balls as training aids myself, to an extent they help, but when I play in even a friendly match outdoors, the size 5 is the ball and everyone casts their vote on the one that is in best condition to use, aired up to some level of feel in terms of inflation range that some will prefer, others will be negative about and still others indifferent to. I've had great passes and others that are simply turnovers with a size 5. Were the great passes due to the fact I used a size 3 or 4 in practice ? And were the errant passes due to the fact that I was making a ball equipment adjustment ? We can all over analyze it, just like my lengthy post can raise questions ?

It's like I said, in the end, you wind up playing the game you would normally play. For most of us, regardless of ball, we'll hit a stone wall where the skills and ability just aren't there for a noticeable difference. And unfortunately, the reality is, chances are the guy asking about a Futsal ball is not the next Pele, just like this poster (myself) responding with advices isn't either. But it's all good either way, if getting a Futsal ball somehow is credited with a skill level or a play made later after using it, then it works for that person. I just think where I am is that. If the fellow is interested in Futsal or anyone of the other games, by all means get the ball and get involved in games/league play.

10. ronaldoh1

ronaldoh1 New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Club:
    Zvezda BGU Minsk
    You just contradicted yourself there. First you said "makes the individual work rather than allowing the ball to do the work" then you said "require to deliver a pass with authority", "the futsal ball is outstanding for receiving and delivering passes". How come if the individual work is required more, the futsal ball itself is more outstanding to delivering and receiving passes ? Therefore futsal ball is more EASIER to use than regular soccer ball. I've used a futsal ball and it is easier to dribble than a soccer ball

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    And you are critizing a 7-year-old post.

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Someone leads a bit of a sad life

13. ronaldoh1

ronaldoh1 New Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Club:
    Zvezda BGU Minsk
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator