What I think is going on with Landon Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, Nov 2, 2012.

1. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You're the kind of person that would refuse to believe that guns kill people until someone shoots you in the face.

I never said that things wouldn't be revealed. I even used the 1998 World Cup team as an example of how long it takes for things to get out in the open with our national team. That's just how it happens with this team. Our guys keep things in house.

2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I would also like to point out that these most recent comments from Donovan are very different from any comments he's made in the past.

He's on multiple occasions talked about his heart not being fully in it, and how he's needed to mature mentally to be more consistent.

This is the first time that he's talked about taking an extended break away from the game. Any past talk about retirement has always talked about the number of YEARS he has left on his body and how he realizes he's on the back stretch of his career.

These most recent comments have an absolute sense of immediacy to them, and it is clear by his comments and Jurgen's comments that the two of them never spoke about this and still haven't spoken about this. That alone should be slapping you in the face telling you that there seems to be a whole lot more to this than what is being said on the surface.

3. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? thats what you got from Just because you said you have a friend who says the team dislikes Jurgen I think guns dont kill people.

There is a lot of evidence, proof, facts, documented occurrences of guns being used as a weapon to kill people.

There is some evidence that Jozy does not get along with Jurgen.

"You can blame me, no problem, it wouldn't be the first time," Klnsmann said.

There is also some evidence that Clint was unhappy with a US performance against Jamaica but I think no one would be happy with that performance but in the same breath Clint talks about the pitch in the US playing to their strengths and that they need to keep more possession and attack more....

Now if you had a media type, a blogger someone on the inside actually saying some of the things you are saying here about the team (if its so locktight and YOU NEVER hear about it then how did you hear about it?....oh your friend who heard about it....and no media has friends in the group at all???)

Its locktight for everyone but you? how convenient again...

You use an example that was kept quiet for years.

I mean there is also evidence that players like Jurgen too.

so it isnt so black and white. If it was we wouldnt be discussing it.

I do agree that I think he and Jozy have some issues. I think both have a part in the blame as well.

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they never spoke about it and that means that there is more to it than this.

Sure. But Wynalda said Donovan is a crybaby and wants to feel needed.
    I have heard no other media types come up with a theory that it is Jurgen.

So given that ( I dont trust Wynalda is 100% accurate although I met him and he is a really nice guy)
    and I dont trust supposition then I dont really know who to believe.

Wynalda is a media guy and knows a lot about the USMNT and talks with media types a lot so I figure he is saying something when he says Donovan is being a baby. I know Wynalda doesnt think much of Jurgen either. So I know it isnt defending him.

But I would like to hear some theories from inside people. Till then I can only say based on 2 years of talking about ending his career and now 2 years later he actually is thinking of taking a break it doesnt surprise me but if something comes out saying Jurgen is part of the reason I could believe it but if I have to put blind faith in it when NO ONE has said Jurgen is the reason. (you would think at least ONE person would the idea out there who is in the media and in the know)

But I mean I guess we can count you. Maybe you are telling the truth in case its just another bumpy part of the Jurgen ride I expected from the get go.

5. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Wynalda is a blowhard douchebag who loves the sound of his own voice and openly rooted against Donovan breaking his goal scoring record.

If that is your go-to source of Donovan information then you need serious help.

Berks and StillKickin repped this.
  6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahahahah. I just said I dont trust his info but at least he said something and gave some insight in his mind albeit slanted and incorrect based on his previous feelings about Landon.

So....where is the person who is slanted the other direction saying something about Donovan being upset with Jurgen.

where is it? surely there is one media type who could say it.

www.mlssoccer.com/extratime

October 25th is where Wynalda talks about it.

I gave you a source (albeit slanted and probably not true in my mind) but you could give me one just one source that says Donovan is retiring because of Jurgen.

7. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, it's been apparent that LD is burned out. I think his decisions to go to Everton in the MLS off-seasons really hurt him. In hindsight, he would have been better served to take the time off and get away from soccer.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but others think its Jurgen.

I can see the burnt out issue because that speaks to what he has said for 2 years.

But someone thinks its Jurgen. Im just looking for proof.

9. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I've said it was speculation on my part based on circumstantial evidence. I've not even tried to hide that its speculation. If you don't know what they word speculation means, go buy a dictionary.

The only thing I've said was based on a source closely related to one of our players was that the team thought that the motivational speakers and the hiring of Alan Hopkins as a media coach was stupid and borderline insulting. That is the only thing I have said is based on things I have been told by an individual closely connected with the team.

That's it.

Just that.

Nothing else.

Not hard to understand.

Well, except maybe for you.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used the word supposition. I know what circumstantial and speculation is.

its weak. It doesnt mean much.

Now you use your source as a means to credit the rest of your speculation. I have a source inside that told me this (which still might not be true) we can only go on faith.

And yet you call us stupid for not blindly believing your every word?

I am speculating that Donovan got sick of soccer because of 6 years of being coached by Bradley.
    I am speculating that Donovan got sick of soccer because Jurgen doesnt baby Donovan like Bradley did.
    I am speculating that Wynalda is correct about his statements about Donovan because he knows the USMNT and is around those guys. That means he is correct but its just speculation.

THEN you go a step further and say you (SPfan1) not believing me (GV) means you are the kind of person who would think a gun doesnt kill a person. Which technically a person using a gun kills a person but thats neither here nor there.

So if someone doesnt believe your speculation it means they are dumb because of what?

Your inside source that let you know something unproveable to us?
    We can only go on interviews where the players said different and maybe they are full of shit. Maybe they are lying to the camera. It wouldnt surprise me. But they could be authentic as well.

I am a skeptic. I dont just believe someone because they like to put people down and bully people into believing them.

11. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You're a skeptic, yet you believe everything that Jurgen says. Even when his actions don't back up what he's saying.

And if anyone is trying to bully anyone, you are by acting like a douche and trying to force me to announce to the world who my source of information is. I might be outspoken and abrasive, but I also have ethics.

I think that you just don't want to believe me because I don't worship Klinsmann like you do.

Speculation is the devil to you when someone is questioning Klinsmann.

But when you defend Klinsmann, all you do is speculate. "He's sending Eddie Johnson a message to step up his game by starting Danny Williams at right midfield." You actually said that shit. And you were serious.

Even when Klinsmann's own words contradict your speculation, you cling to it because you're speculation lets the alternate reality you created in your head to continue to exist.

If you were actually a skeptic, you'd be questioning Klinsmann a whole lot more than you are. You're not a skeptic. You are a blind follower.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have always maintained that I think Jurgen is just ok.
    Of course all I do is speculate. I never said he sent a message to eddie johnson specifically but I admit it is a bit of a stretch.

I think Jurgen is what he is. A decent coach not great at tactics and has the potential to do a lot with our program but it wont be pretty and its not going to be easy.

I think I have spent most of my time waging a stupid war with you rather than really give any opinions honestly.

If we were to sit down ad discuss it rationally we would probably agree on most things but I didnt do a lot to help the discussion. I apologize.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean this as a truce as well. Not that you contributed as much as I instigated.

14. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You're the one who's following me on here. Not the other way around.

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know. I admit it.

16. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone shoots you in the face, it is excellent evidence that people try to kill people.

Fanatical Monk and vaquero28 repped this.
  17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People die if they are killed.

18. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is stupid to say guns kill people, No gun, I use it collectively, has ever killed anyone. That is true of every weapon ever, swords, knives, cars. There is always an idiot behind every tool that incites it to murder someone. It is a rather dumb example to justify one's position and has no place in a soccer forum. Dumb, dumb, dumb......Oh, and that is my opinion.

19. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only Matt Foley were still living in a van down by the river. Surely he could motivate our boys (including LD)!

20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Call me a cynic, but I view his recent comments mostly as posturing to get him out of LA, and over to Everton in January on a permanent deal. He's trying to get it done a year early, and is warning both LA and MLS that he's not resigning here, so they should take what they can get in January for him, which probably isn't very much compared to after WC 2010.

I will believe this until January passes and he's still in LA. At that time, I will amend my belief that he's going NEXT January.

21. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Food for thought?! He is probably sick of Arena!

22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    That wouldn't explain why he's taking a break from the national team.

23. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Maybe he meant like Arenas = Stadiums, not bruce Arena.

24. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did say food for thought!?

25. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind as well that both Dempsey and Howard have come out supporting LD and his presence on the national team. Dempsey right after the Guatemala game, and Howard right before camp. Don't know if that means anything, but it's interesting to add to your list. Especially the comment from Clint. "we need him" is pretty telling. And man, frustrated is the right word. He was giving some serious stink eye to Graham Zusi.