What I think is going on with Landon Donovan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by SweetLife, Nov 2, 2012.

1. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I added to my original post. Your point of view is completely moronic by the way, and shows a complete and total ignorance of the sporting culture of soccer in the United States vs. the sporting culture in countries like France and Brazil.

You need to get a clue man.

2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats what I was saying. Americans need to think a little bit more like those countries.

With me saying that I am acknowledging the difference and saying something should be different.

3. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I had never even heard of this guy until you posted that link.

4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of our guys have egos? I think that is an inaccurate statement.

The old coach is majorly disrespected by the American media.
    the moment he was hired.
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011...fired-usa-jurgen-klinsmann-coach-usmnt-soccer

5. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Yeah...we definitely need to be more like the 2010 French World Cup team. That was a model of how players should act. :rolleyes:

Ganapper repped this.
  6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah well theres your savior article you talked about when he was hired.

no one thought he was going to save anything.

all jurgen had was a media that questioned him, found him to be incompetent and think he is no good.

I think you are in good company. Most people agree with you. Very few people think Jurgen can really do anything here.

I am hoping he can but I dont think its going to be easy and it has not gone smoothly.

You never heard of him. You basically say the exact same things he said just a few weeks into Jurgens tenure here on Big soccer.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah because Jurgen is so incompetent.

I mean Frenchs 2010 coach really is incompetent. The earlier Jurgen is out the better.

If the players have conviction then they shoudl do it if what you say is true. Thats they think they wont make it with Jurgen.

8. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Maybe the German born ones like Jermaine Jones do. But the US born and bred ones don't.

I've met and talked to pretty much every single one of them over the course of my career. They are literally the kinds of guys where if you ran into them at a bar and went up to talk to them, they would have a beer with you and shoot the shit.

American players didn't grow up in an environment where they are coddled and treated like superstars the moment they hit puberty. They don't develop the superstar mentality.

That link doesn't work and you need to read more than just one website. Bob might have been polarizing here on BigSoccer. But in the mainstream media, he was widely respected as a coach.

9. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Maybe he ripped off my ideas.

Like I said. Had never heard of the guy. I don't read SB Nation.

10. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats fine. But the link does say its going to be a bumpy ride and we will fail to qualify and that Jurgen would be a better technical director. Its like straight from GVPs mouth.

Also it admits (and I agree) that Bob was our best tactical manager...which he was. He was brilliant at it. I really liked Bob.

but Sunil wanted Jurgen so we hope it doesnt completely crash down into flames.

11. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Did you forget to take your meds this morning? Typically your thought process is incoherent, but now your typing is incoherent as well.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wrote the article on July 28th 2011....

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am following your logic.

Jurgen is an incompetent manger, Therefore we need a new manager NOW and if this is true and the players all think this as you say THEN they must come out and say we need a new manager now.

otherwise the logic doesnt follow.

14. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I wrote a column for a friend of mine for a start up magazine in 2010 long before Bob had been fired pretty much outlining what would happen if Sunil hired someone based on a name rather than really looking at their credentials.

I said it could very well end up like SVG version 2.0 if US Soccer wasn't very careful.

Just sayin.

You can go back and read my posts dating to pre-World Cup. While I thought we would need to make a change to a new coach, regardless of how Bob did in the World Cup, I was very careful to point out the potential pitfalls of defaulting to a big name foreign coach.

15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really dont think either you or him copied each other.

It wasnt really the point. I figure you wouldnt want a foreign manager. I mean personally I look forward to Kreis taking over. I think he could do a really nice job. I am also hoping an American coach can get hired in Europe in the next 10 years. I think we are getting closer to it.

So how did you feel when we didnt change coaches?

16. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I didn't say that they all think he's incompetent. What I said was that more than one player has already made comments about tactics.

I think its telling that Landon is playing with so much passion for his club team right now but says that playing for the national team isn't enjoyable anymore and he plans on taking a break.

It might be just a coincidence, but Timmy Chandler is now considering Germany over the US.

And I will say that a lot of the players find the motivational speakers, and phone book ripping and frying pan rolling to be stupid and to a certain degree insulting. They find it insulting when Jurgen hires Alan Hopkins to "teach" then how to properly give an interview, as if these guys haven't been playing professional soccer for years and haven't given hundreds of interviews already.

I think Jurgen is losing the locker room. I think when you look at the leaders of this team, you look at Bocanegra, Donovan, Dempsey, Bradley and Howard.

- Dempsey has already expressed displeasure with defensive tactics and has been getting more and more visibly frustrated on the field during games.

- Donovan has quit the national team for the foreseeable future. And based on quotes from Jurgen and Donovan, the two haven't even really spoken to one another about it.

- Bradley can't say anything because his dad was the last coach, and a lot of people like yourself will just cry sour grapes if he says anything.

- Bocanegra and Howard haven't said or done anything yet. But if I were you, I'd be watching them closely over the next few games.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. So if this is true why dont they just call him out and say we need a new manager?

18. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Its funny that you say this because it clearly demonstrates that you are completely clueless to my posting history.

And BigSoccer pretty much archives every post ever made in every thread ever, so what I am about to say is completely verifiable.

But before the start of World Cup 2010, I was one of Bob's loudest supporters on here, often fighting off the idiocy of the Fire Bob Mob.

At the same time, I was also very outspoken about the need to make a coaching change post World Cup, lest we see a period of stagnation.

And while I mentioned Jason Kreis as a coaching option, he wasn't at the top of my list.. EVERY SINGLE other name that I mentioned as someone I would like to see take the helm was a foreign coach. Every one.

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I already explained this to you. If you don't want to read that's you're issue. If you just choose to not believe me, that's fine. I hear that life is a lot less stressful with your head buried in the sand.

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. So you dont mind certain foreign managers.

I think Kreis would be really good. I dont know about foreign managers that dont speak english and who dont know anything about the USA but maybe you were thinking of people in mexico? I dont really use the search function because I just dont care.

I was just asking what you honestly thought. You mostly gave me that. thanks.

Anyway I am looking for articles on unrest in the locker room in the USMNT and I am not finding anything. I am sure someone is reporting this stuff. I will keep looking. I believe you I really do. I just cant imagine there being this much unrest and no one reporting it.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so they would rather just go to their certain doom? I mean if there is no hope and they dont like Jurgen why are they maintaining the status quo.

Also if you know of all this unrest and you are not even a media type in the locker room and with the team all the time why isnt anyone else reporting this stuff?

I mean its perfect stuff to just jump on. What journalist wouldnt report about this unrest?

Im not saying you are lying. Seriously I am taking this from the ideal that you are 100% right.

With that being true where is the rest of the evidence in the media. the media would be jumping all over these issues. You would read stories about disruption in the locker room and players being unhappy per some source.

It wouldnt be in code. It wouldnt have to be because journalists could jump all over this and report it any way they want.

So in looking for this I am not finding much.

Now I can take it on faith from your friend of a friend and your friend of the team and you (still a journalist...no longer a journalist? friends with journalists who tell stories to others without reporting them to the masses because.....well I dont know why...)

I just need explanation beyond...hey I SAID IT therefore its true.

22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I don't give a shit if the coach was born on the moon, or if they were raised by wolves. All I care about is that our team is led by someone that can get us playing good attacking soccer that get the most out of our best players while also growing the player pool.

The reason why you don't see people reporting on it is because for the most part, our guys keep things in house.

Hell, even in 1998 when Harkes was banging Wynalda's wife, it took YEARS before all of the shit that went down heading into the World Cup came out.

With few exceptions, our guys don't run their mouths in the media, and that's pretty much been the case for a long time.

Even look at the guys with their club careers. You almost never hear our guys making waves or causing problems. Dempsey being outspoken this summer about wanting to move to a "bigger" club is pretty much the only time one of our players has ever been the center of anything that could even be construed as controversial. It just isn't in our player's nature, and that is a product of the virtual anonymity soccer players grow up with as a result of our sporting culture.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but if you know others know. it shouldnt be hard to report with a source in the camp but I guess you would lose access.

catch 22.

Well if it is truly that dire even though nothing can be proven we can only go on supposition and hearsay and figuring out the real meaning of quotes....

well then I guess thats all we got.

thats too bad.

24. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    If you had even the intelligence of a monkey, you could piece together everything I've said on here and understand why the eye rolling with regards to motivational speakers and Alan Hopkins as a "media coach" hasn't hit the mainstream. Use a little common sense.

As far as the Chandler stuff....that's speculation based on circumstantial evidence, and I've been very open to say that it is speculation.

As far as the Donovan stuff. Again, its not like he's texting me inside information. But Jurgen has flat out said that he hasn't spoken to Donovan about his break from soccer.

Don't you think its a little strange that the all time leader in goals and assists for the national team has said that he doesn't enjoy playing for the national team anymore, and the way that the National team coach hears about it is from watching an interview on ESPN with Julie Foudy? And the coach has made no effort at all to reach out to the player.

That doesn't seem to you like there is a lot more behind this "semi-retirement" than what we are seeing on the surface? Especially considering how much passion there seems to be on the face of Donovan during the playoffs thus far.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its convenient to make claims about something and say it will never be revealed. Just trust me because they can never say their true feelings and their true feelings are all negative. I mean common sense says that anything negative is going to not be revealed to us. We have to tease it out and know that
    A. The team thought the inspirational speaker was dumb.
    B. They lied and said it was a good moment for the camera instead of not commenting at all.
    C. etc etc

No I would probably assume some people liked the inspirational guy and some people didnt. thats about it. nothing earth shaking.

I think Donovan has been talking about leaving soccer for a while. He considered retirement before Jurgen was even hired. This is not new talk for him. I mean it could be because of Jurgen Klinsmann but then why would Donovan report to Miami a month ago? Why would he even bother when he has an easy excuse?
    Is Wynalda completely wrong about Landon? Is he making stuff up too? Maybe. Wynalda has his views on why Donovan is doing it but I have heard NO ONE not a single person in the media say Jurgen is why Donovan doesnt want to play. So if I wanted to BELIEVE in a flying spaghetti monster I could but I need more proof than supposition and faith.

I mean you COULD be right but Donovan has been talking about retiring since post 2010 world cup so I dont really know.