What Hex Away Trips Are You Most Interested In?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by blazindw, Oct 18, 2012.

1. fdken

fdken Member

Sep 6, 2004
    First Game Honduras:::::::::Who´s coming down? 2009 we had a great time. Doghouse Tavern again for the night before the game party!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Well, if I do go to a game, it would be this one (already been to Costa Rica and Panama, don't have much of an interest in going to Jamaica, and between Mexico and Honduras, I'd rather visit Honduras).

Spirit only has flights to San Pedro Sula on the weekends and Wednesday ONLY though, and the game is Wednesday, meaning I'd have to take an entire week off to go (fly in the weekend before, fly out the weekend after), or I'd have to use a more expensive company to be able to come in later/leave earlier. Ugh.

But how would we go about getting tickets to the game? Just show up at the stadium or is there a way to buy them in advance?

3. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    tickets will be sold in advance most likely and quite possibly the USSF will have some tickets for supporters as well.

i would think that the cost of staying extra days would negate any savings by flying Spirit

4. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. Azteca is seriously on the worst possible date for me (CPA in tax season). The partners already frowned at me when I took days off to watch the US in the World Cup. I can't imagine what their reactions will be when I tell them I'm off to Mexico City for a few days in late March.

My brother and I already have an idea of when and where we're going there, as we've planned a Mexico City trip out for years it seems like. I'm definitely interested to hear what everybody else is doing whenever those plans are made. Any tips from vets would be great too. Plane tickets are way more expensive than I expected (Roughly $600-700 for me, from North Carolina)

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your brother fell in love with a Mexican sweetheart and naturally, family is an important part of Mexican culture so she wants the wedding in Mexico.

You can thank me later.

6. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    a wedding on a Tuesday?

im in a similar situation with work, although for different reasons.

i may have to take a pass on Azteca this time around. pretty disappointing.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weddings in Mexico take on a long and difficult after party that will require several days of attendance. You have the Dia de la Bandera, which is the Mexican version of the bacherlor party for the men that happens after the wedding unlike in America. Then on Tuesday you will have the Grito de Dolores, where the entire family goes out to bid the couple a happy honeymoon as they leave after the customary four day post wedding celebratory period, which is very traditional in Mexico. You will be able to make it back to work on Wednesday and thank your boss for the understanding.*

*If your boss is hispanic or has any knowledge of Latin American culture, I would advise you abort this attempt.

8. fdken

fdken Member

Sep 6, 2004
    No problem getting tickets via ussoccer, or if not, last world cup, i bought about 20 for people coming down. I live down here. I wouldn´t bother with spirit, american is just about 100 dollars more.

9. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, I'll keep that in mind.

10. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama sounds good, mid October the surfing starts getting pretty good, plus as a bonus a WC qualie!!! Azteca I will be there!!! Trolly to border then taxi to Tijuana Airport for cheap domestic flight.

11. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Nice. Not sure anyone will be making it back to work on Weds. though given that it will be a night game on Tuesday and celebrating the win afterwards to the wee hours.

Anyway I'm definitely in (my first quali for a while - rugrats tend to put a damper on these trips). I'm assuming several of my old skool homies are up for it too - Colin, John from Atlanta, Ed, Flip, Sansone and the NY/NJ crew, etc.? Who's in?

12. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    WTF. I just noticed the profile on the side by my post.

superlimey New Member
    Who knew the last century was new?

13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought "New Member" was based on how many posts you have rather than when you registered, but you have 519 posts so that shouldn't make you a New Member either. Maybe ask in the Customer Service forum.

14. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was really thinking about Azteca, but I havent been to Honduras before (havent been to DF but spent plenty of time in Mexico). The match on a Wednesday really blows though.

And flights are fairly expensive right now, even from San Diego. $630+ to get down to Tegucigalpa, $527 to San Pedro Sula. (Do we know where the match will be?)

15. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My other question is, there seem to be a lot more people that want to get on the Azteca bandwagon this year. Is it a possibility that USSF will not be able to meet ticket demand?

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Pedro de Sula

17. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    i wont say its impossible but i would be very surprised if the allocation is larger than the demand

18. doogiemo

doogiemo Member

Aug 11, 2005
    ohh USA, USA USA USA
    The plan is for Honduras and Mex, we'll see what the wallet has to say about that!

19. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to attempt either Costa Rica or Panama with my airline miles. The Panamanians at the FCD games in support of Blas Perez are super cool, so I'd hope some Blas fans would be able to show me some cool spots in Panama City.

20. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Airline tix bought for Mexico. I'm in. Seaman Santa that week so it should be quite a party in Mexico that week.

21. SilasDeSirian

SilasDeSirian New Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I plan on going to Mexico for the 3/26 match. Has anyone had experience getting tickets for international matches? I have had a couple emails from US Soccer and their lack of commitment on tickets is worrisome. Perhaps someone can walk me through the process so I can feel comfortable knowing I won't be down there and get shut out. I realize they will have 106,000 tickets for sell, but I would like to get decent seats if that is even possible.

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you plan on cheering for the US?

23. SilasDeSirian

SilasDeSirian New Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Of Course. Like at the Rose Bowl in 2011, I was surrounded by Mexico Fans. They were all very friendly and respectful. I didn't go nuts when the US went up 2-0 and we had a mutual respect for each other. I don't think I will paint my face and take off my shirt and screem like I want to, unless I enjoy getting his with a urine bomb.

24. Eddie Stiel

Eddie Stiel Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In 2005, I bought a ticket from US Soccer for the away supporters section in the lowest level of Azteca. In 2009, USSF offered a lottery for US Supporter tickets (through USSSC) in the uppermost general admission section of Azteca. I think everybody that applied for tickets through the lottery got them from USSF. Rather than risk a lottery (and with a plane ticket already bought), I bought general admission tickets from ticketmaster.com.mx and sat with the rest of the US supporters. It was way cheaper, like $15 per ticket, if I remember correctly.

For this cycle, I don't know what the situation will be. I know that USSF had tickets for sale for the friendly in Azteca in August, but I didn't attend.

25. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are the chances the MEX-USA match will not be played in Azteca? 1 in a 1000 ?

Just curious as to when this venue will be confirmed.