What Hex Away Trips Are You Most Interested In?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by blazindw, Oct 18, 2012.

1. TommyCarcetti

TommyCarcetti Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im sure AO will have a package but its just as easy, if not more advantageous to make your own travel arrangements

2. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First cycle I've been able to plan an away WCQ so I'll be at Azteca.

3. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The attempt at working out a schedule instead of a draw went like this:
    USSF: We will only play Mexico in Feb in Maine.
    Mexico:
    Draw it is.

RoleModel83 repped this.
  4. diegolin89

diegolin89 Member+

Jul 13, 2008
    Not really as you cannot impose one match, it really went like this:

"So, who wants to play Mexico in the last game?"

"...."

This was confirmed by 2 concacaf representatives.

5. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In all reality, it doesn't really matter where you play a team in your schedule. Granted, teams think it does, but a loss to Mexico in the first game is the same a loss to mexico in the last game.

6. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they mean is that teams didn't want to play Mexico at a point where they would likely be in a do-or-die situation where a World Cup berth is in the balance. You can recover from a loss in the first match. After the last match, there are no more opportunities to recover.

7. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree with jangles for a few reasons. If you're going to lose to Mexico either way, then you have 8 games against non-Mexican teams; just consider your last one of those 8 to be your do-or-die game, even if you still have one game in Azteca after it. And "recovering from a loss in the first match" can go either way. You could recover from it, or it could demoralize you and make you crash and burn. Actually, I would argue that it is advantageous to play Mexico as late in the Hex as possible, because the later you play them, the more likely that Mexico will have already clinched a WC spot and that they will not start their first squad.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it is an advantage to have your easiest games first as it can leave you with assured qualification with the final matches to spare. It can also totally destroy you if you don't take care of business at home, Canada stop crying please.

But lets assume the schedule was made like this for the US.

@ Antigua
    Guatemala

Jamaica
    @ Guatmala

Antigua
    @ Jamaica

The US would have had 10 points by the 4th match day. This of course would essentially have ensured qualification as the team would need only a point in their two final games.

Instead the US had arguably their two toughest matches in the first half of qualifying.

Antigua
    @ Guatemala

@ Jamaica

With a draw and a loss, but heck even a draw at Jamaica would have left the team with 5 points and looking worse than it was considering the easiest part of the schedule was left for last.

Jamaica

@ Antigua
    Guatemala

It left a do or die game at home with Guatemala, which is kind of better than a do or die game away. Canada please stop crying. However at the same time if you get your home matches and easy road games first you can wrap up qualification to the next round earlier than the other way around.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with that, let us assume that in terms of ability this is how the Hex groups shake out.

Mexico
    Honduras
    Costa Rica
    Panama
    Jamaica

I based the rankings mostly on historical success and the last Gold Cup positioning as a tiebreaker. Not much thought was put into ranking them beyond that so don't quibble with them.

If you have this as your schedule

@ Jamaica
    Panama

Costa Rica
    @ Honduras

Mexico
    @ Panama

Jamaica
    costa Rica

Honduras
    @ Mexico

Lets assume a win at home is a given for all US matches, which it should be, but of course is not. Lets assume a draw away at places we have historically had success getting results in, Honduras, Panama and Jamaica. That is a reasonable expectation whereas I'd say Costa Rica and Mexico are not.

By the end of the 2nd round of games we have 8 points. By the end of the next round we have 12, and after the next we have 15. Last go around Honduras and Costa Rica tied with 16 points to qualify 3rd and 4th in the Hex. A win at home against Honduras or an unexpected point away to Costa Rica would see an already qualified team going to Mexico. Any additional away wins, like a 1-0 friendly win in Panama, or the 3-2 in in Honduras would see this happen earlier.

Of course conversely this scenario could be a nightmare where if the team were to drop points at home would see a away game in the Azteca as necessary for qualification. Of course if that were the case, the game in the Azteca really wouldn't be the one that dropped us.

10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really thinking about Costa Rica. Two questions:
    1.) Is San Jose a nice place to visit, or is it like Kingston where it's practically the dump of the country?
    2.) I see flights from NYC at under $350 total on Spirit. has anybody flown spirit before and would I be better spending more with a better airline?

11. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would recommend spending the extra 150 on a real airline. You will pay that in fees on Spirit anyway and their customer service is really really bad.

12. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    San Jose isnt the best place in Costa Rica to visit but its more suited for a weekend trip than Kingston is and there is a bit more to do. Still, might be worth traveling to the coasts if you are there for an extended period of time.

You get what you pay for. Spirit is pretty much sh!t and like Corona said, they will nail you with fees.

13. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't ever fly Spirit. Ever.

14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it was too good to be true.

15. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was just down there in May. San Jose is nothing special. Urban sprawl @ its best coupled with many calles with NO names.

Watch the match in their new national stadium (funded and built by the Chinese) and then head to Marco Antonio NP on the Pacific Coast for some real relaxation and scenery. Easy 3-4 hour drive on a new too road.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game will possibly/probably be at Saprissa.

17. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Saprissa didn't exist anymore and they play all their games at the (new) national stadium?

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 99% sure that the stadium still exists, and while they usually do play in the nice new stadium, rumor is that they will go back to Saprissa for the US game for the obvious home field advantage.

19. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough...for some reason I thought they had torn it down. Either way, that would be up there on my list if it's at the Saprissa.

20. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    I don't mind spirit. It's cheap with no frills, but it gets the job done.

Yeah, they will get you with some fees and definitely don't try to change your flight after you have booked it, but overall you will save money.

One other downside is many of their flights land late at night in order to save airport fees.

I have used it three or four times flying to central/south america and I would use it again.

21. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Chinese screwed up & built their stadium around a track. Fans are too far to yell in your face & throw pigs blood & piss bags. Nobody fears their new stadium. That is why they want to play to US in Saprissa, the un-friendly confines.

22. bill0

bill0 Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From 2013 Hexagonal Draw and Schedule

Feb. 6th: @ Honduras
    March 22nd: vs. Costa Rica
    March 26th: @ Mexico
    June 7th: @ Jamaica
    June 11th: vs. Panama
    June 18th: vs. Honduras
    Sept. 6th: @ Costa Rica
    Sept. 10th: vs. Mexico
    Oct. 11th: vs. Jamaica
    Oct. 15th: @ Panama

February 6th (@ Honduras) is a Wednesday.

March 26th (@ Mexico) is a Tuesday.

June 7th (@ Jamaica) is a Friday.

September 6th (@ Costa Rica) is a Friday.

October 15th (@ Panama) is a Tuesday.

23. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    This schedule sucks. All the games are Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday - so it's impossible to take a "weekend trip" to get to one without using any vacation days. ******** you CONCACAF. Why no Saturday or Sunday games? WTF is this shit?

24. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    absolutely positively sucks for me

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA and the clubs