What has happened to the English teams in the CL?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Beticious, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Its not so much a Serie A Renascence as it is an EPL implosion. (Implosion is to strong a word, lets call it a: gradual re-structuring of English representation.)

Its a tournament and anything can happen; but I personally feel a lot more comfortable playing Arsenal or Chelsea now then I have before.

2. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    We easily beat Udinese this season. The table is misleading, teams that play us usually play with 10 behind the ball. We tend to play well against teams that actually play!

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Read the top article here:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

Serie A fans seem to be amusingly oblivious to this. When it comes to financial fairplay rules and implosion, your top two clubs are absolutely screwed and the rest of your clubs bar Napoli aren't too secure either.

As for the Premiership - Man City and Chelsea will have to cut back, however Tottenham and Arsenal are both fully financially stable, Arsenal not far off paying off their new stadium and Tottenham on the brink of a deal to redevelop theirs.

Manchester United are a cash machine and Ferguson spent a lot of money on young players this season to replace his veterans. This season was a blip like 2006.

Liverpool also have secure owners and a big income, just unlucky for them that Tottenham and Manchester City emerged to make qualifying for Europe in the Premiership so difficult. They will easily take the place of any club that slips out of the top 5.

Implosion? Dream on.

4. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Being a Spurs fan, you should care as much as I do about the CL. ;)

5. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Inter is an extreme example. If we're talking about extreme examples then Man City and Chelsea are ********ed as well.

We'll see how the new rules play out and if clubs politic their way around them i.e Real Madrid and Barca.

Essentially the restrictions hurt English dominance because under a free enterprise system the EPL makes the most money but in turn they spend the most as well; now with the spending advantage taken away the playing field is more level and competition will inevitably become much more fierce.

I'm not saying Serie A is taking over EPL anytime soon, far from it - what I'm saying is you can kiss the last decade of English dominance goodbye because we're not going to see it again for some time.

6. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Not until Messi goes to England...which won't happen. :D

7. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    with mourninho gone in the next 18 months, rendering madrid unmanagable, and the barca wave surely slowing down at some point in the next couple of years, the epl of a rebuilt united, chelsea, arsenal and man city, followed by liverpool and spurs in the el, should, logically, crush all before them, even harder than in the last few years (check the coefficient). bayern, psg and ac milan are the only potential oponents i see, and i dont see them as much cop.

8. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    LOL You wish. Messi and company will last for another 5 yrs AT LEAST. Real Madrid are always going to be a dominant force as well, they've just been unlucky last few years. The decline is happening in the EPL as evidenced by MU's slide who is normally the leading EPL in the CL. Maybe Arsenal and Chelsea will winners this year, football is like that. But when you look at the strength of the EPL in the CL you look to MU first, then Pool, then those who have yet to win it.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2012.html says that Germany's lead over Italy has increased so far in 2011-2012 and for 2007-2008 through 2011-2012 Italy's coefficient is closer to seventh place Russia who has two Champions League spots than to third place Germany. I'm not saying Italy will fall to seventh though, just that they're not close to third.

10. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    It's likely going to take many years for Italy to make it back into the top 3. As Evan says, there is quite a large gap between the two nations at the moment, and as long as Germany gets higher coefficients each season it will remain that way.

Though Italy will have one less team starting next season, and Germany one more. Because points are divided by the league's total number of teams in European competition, this will help the league with less teams.

I have to say, England's current ranking deserves some extra commendation when you realize that they've managed to do this while playing some seasons with an extra team (due to the fair play qualification), and that includes this season.

11. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Dreamland.

12. Beticious

Beticious New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I agree 100%...

13. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And four is the right number for Germany, right?

14. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We wouldn't have this discussion if your teams would take the EL seriously (well, maybe we would, but still). So yes, four is the right number for us, since, in total, we outperformed you. Not as in 'who's the best team in Europe' but as in 'who's teams advance the furthest in the 2 European competitions'.

So, given that UEFA uses that benchmark, and you know that UEFA is using that benchmark, you have absolutely NO right to complain whatsoever. Of course you can lobby to change the benchmark and weigh CL double or something, but until you are succesful with that you have to play by the rules that are given. This is not pre-Monti Italian politics!

15. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Why would Europa league teams play harder just so richer clubs can get into the Champions League?

16. Beticious

Beticious New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Valencia CF

I really dont understand your question?

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I see you have finally reappeared in your thread after valencia got dismantled by Chelsea. La Liga is a one team league. If you support a team like valencia its pointless to be a cheerleader for Barca . Are you looking forward to seeing Valencia in the Europa cup and finishing 50 points behind Barca in the league? Your existence is futile .

And the posters who have phoney allegiance to Italy always amuse. Like the Canadian/Scotsman canzano. Giving yourself an Italian sounding name doesnt give you any credibility to lay down the rivalry talk to rival leagues . The CL became boring a very long time ago . Its hard to get excited about it anymore since UEFA became Barca cheerleaders . I have seen teams turn out understrength lineup in less glamorous games .Thats the road its going down.. #snooze

18. Beticious

Beticious New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I have been here all the time! Well we did lose to Chelsea, but not because Chelsea were better. We gave them a goal in the third minute and then one in the 22nd, i think it was. Early christmas presents. But we controlled the ball AWAY, with 67%. Yes I am looking forward to seeing Valencia in the Europa League (not cup) we are going to have 3 of our best players back for that. Banega and Canales for sure. I am not sure what you are trying to say but I am not cheerleading for Barca in anyway, I am a Valencianista and I am that a 100%, I am just not supporting teams that win and then change for the next team that wins - my love for Valencia is here, now and forever. 50 points behind barca come on - get real we are 7 behind and if we would have won this last weekend we would have been 4. So get some perspective ok... And what happened to England? City and Utd out? Just two British teams left and neither of them with a chance to win... Same deal in the Europa League...

19. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    In before rioting Madrid fans....

20. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    That might be an excuse if there was such a clear division between rich clubs only playing CL and less rich clubs only playing EL, like there was in England until Tottenham broke that spell. But that doesn't exist in the Serie A. The Serie As team in the CL playoffs (the spot that was lost to Germany) of the last couple of seasons were Udinese, Sampdoria, Lazio and Fiorentina. Hardly moneybags. And the actual moneybags Roma, Milan and Juventus all played EL recently and blew it. In fact, Udinese and Fiorentina did better than any of the rich clubs did.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol Slight hyperbole.

La Liga is still ahead of where the EPL was 10 years ago (before criminals and Yankees bought half the clubs) in terms of the quality of the teams after the main favorite. The title race and top 4 race in La Liga aren't too exciting right now, but hopefully that will change over time.

22. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Wow, Fulham somehow got themselves eliminated today. They were well on their way to qualifying before their penultimate match, yet failed to qualify because of a last minute goal in each of their last 2 matches.

23. Cavani7

Cavani7 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Posters that support the best teams from a league are LULZY.

24. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    To put it a bit more clear than Cirdan: Because it may very well be them who could benefit from an additional CL spot next season (or be the victims of having one spot less), even in England.

25. Beticious

Beticious New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Fulham crashes out of the Europa League and Tottenham could be next tonight. The English Premier League is not doing that great after all....