What happens if the goalie gets a red card?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Latin Pride, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know its a stupid question but i never seen a goalie get sent off, but what happens if he does? a team has to have a goalie so do they just replace the goalie and send off another player? (since a player HAS to be sent off after a red card)

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He gets send off like any normal player. The team must bring a substitute keeper on, or nominate another player to be the keeper.

3. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    The goalie has to leave the game. The team will use a substitution and bring in a new goalie. If the team has no substitutons left, then they will just give one of their players on the field goalie gloves and he becomes the goalie...

4. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    I saw this once, it was funny I think it was in the EPL a few years ago and the field player, a sweeper or something that took the goalkeepers place actually made a wicked save and almost got sent off himself for running his mouth. But he was only in for about the last ten minutes of the game.

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It happened once in the 1995 WWC when Briana Scurry was red-carded when she punted the ball and, on the follow-through, landed outside of the penalty area. The referee thought she handled the ball. But as we all know, bad refereeing in FIFA matches is all part of the course.

Mia Hamm had to come in to be the goalie, yellow shirt and all.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeh, it was the refs fault....:rolleyes:

7. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

May 9, 2003
    Toronto
    I remember when it happened just a few years ago in the champions league. It was Inter Milan vs Valencia and Toldo was given the red for Inter and they ran out of substitions so Farinos (a midfielder at the time) went in net for Inter and was a bit shaky but held for the 1-1 draw.

8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The sub keeper is a relatively new thing, but then again it was nearly impossible for a keeper to be sent off until about the same time too (Exhibit A being France v Germany WC 1982). Keepers generally were only subbed through injury. For years Reading's emergency goalkeeper was our top striker, a gangly striker named Trevor Senior. He was a curious choice, always looking like he'd learned to catch that morning, and generally leaping around like a hyperactive clown. Somehow though he never let a goal in during the four games he had to play in goal. His last time was in his last ever match for Reading. Our keeper was injured just before half time and he had to go in goal with Reading 2-0 down. Somehow his antics in goal, including a couple of saves of comical excellence, inspired the rest of the team, who went on to win 3-2 with a last minute winner.

Normally though, when that keeper went off and the other team had to put some nervous looking guy in goal, it was like sharks sensing blood. Everybody loved it, unless it happened to your team. There was one game in the mid 80s when west ham were pushing for a UEFA Cup place, and they played newcastle, who ended up using 3 different players in goal after an early injury. Both replacements were equally useless, aiding the final scoreline of West Ham 8 Newcastle 1.

9. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    One would hope that the GK fka field player also put on a contrasting jersey ...

10. Raze

Raze New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    There's a more recent incident: Think Euro2004 where the Russian goalie Ovchinnikov was sent off against Portugal in the group stages. From my understanding the Goalie is substituted by the 2nd choice goalie and the captain must leave the field. Basically goalie and captain out, 2nd choice goalie in. Ref's on the forum please correct me if Im wrong.

Example: MAN-U
    Howard carded, Howard and Keane out, Carrol in.

11. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You can sub any outfield player. It doesn't have to be the Captain.

12. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    It's much simpler than that. The original keeper is sent off. Because it's a stoppage in play, the team is allowed to substitute, as long as they haven't used their maximum. So they sub the reserve keeper for any other player on the field.

If there are no subs left, someone that is on the field must become the keeper.