What Happens if Puerto Rico Becomes a US State?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by INKRO, Nov 7, 2012.

1. hasuprotoss

hasuprotoss Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't Puerto Rico also still be recognized as a different entity by FIFA? Kind of like how England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are all different "nations" with respect to how FIFA views them?

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's also complicated by the fact that while Puerto Ricans voted in favor of the referendum, they also voted out a number of pro-statehood officials.

As this article explains:

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/puerto-rico-vote-endorses-statehood-with-asterisk-1.4200471

But Tuesday's vote comes with an asterisk and an imposing political reality: The island remains bitterly divided over its relationship to the United States and many question the validity of this week's referendum.

Nearly a half million voters chose to leave a portion of the ballot blank. And voters also ousted the pro-statehood governor, eliminating one of the main advocates for a cause that would need the approval of the U.S. Congress.

"Statehood won a victory without precedent but it's an artificial victory," said Angel Israel Rivera Ortiz, a political science professor at the University of Puerto Rico. "It reflects a divided and confused electorate that is not clear on where it's going."

I just wanted to make sure people understand that despite this referendum.................we're a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way from Puerto Rican statehood. It's a very complicated issue.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, they could....But the home nations are a big exception that was grandfathered in. A lot of confederations really don't like the privileges that the home nations have and would prefer them becoming Great Britain. So politically speaking, I don't think CONCACAF would allow it.

4. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of doubt it, Puerto Rico wouldn't really have any "special" political status anymore if it became a state (those examples do). Even Catalunya's "national" team doesn't have recognition in international competition for the same reason.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in another thread, Puerto Rico would be like the Catalonian and Basque Country national teams. Both are recoginised by UEFA or FIFA and are comprised of Spaniards from those regions. They play couple of friendlies a year. Numerous full Spanish national teamers suit up for these regional nation tem,s. Quite frankly, Basque Country and Catalonia could probably compete well in an international tournament -- if eligible.

6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't disagree with your overall conclusion, I'd point out that the outgoing chief executive in PR was a member of the RNC. The idea that all PR officeholders are Dems is patently false. He narrowly lost this time and was a proponent of statehood.

7. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    He won not because he was republican as the majority of the PR population don't follow the Democratic/Republican party system at all but the political parties in Puerto Rico. But that is stuff for the thread of this in the Politics Forum.

Yeah Puerto Ricans in the state are different from the ones in Puerto Rico. That isn't true at all in PR.

8. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know, FIFA does not recognize Catalonia and clubs will not release players to represent it. I dunno about the Basques, though.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I meant to say aren't recognized. Sorry. You are correct.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The Puerto Rico Islanders will start playing in the US Open Cup.

11. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody from Puerto Rico is even good enough to play for the USMNT.