What happened to Henry Ring?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by houston_fc, Apr 8, 2005.

1. houston_fc

houston_fc Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I must have missed something (e.g, press conference, article, etc) because I don't see his name on the 2005 Chicago roster or any MLS roster. Did he transfer to a foreign club? Did it have anything to do with Zach Thornton returning from Benefica?

Pedro Rondon H de Sá repped this.
  2. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Henry lost his job when Zach returned to Chicago and was released by Chicago. F*C* Dallas picked him up in preseason and worked him out a bit but decided not to sign him. Since then we haven't heard of him catching on anywhere else.

3. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Henry involved in a trade with Dallas, who apparently, looking at their lineup, did not pick him up?

We miss you, Henry-

4. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Boyzzz Murtaugh New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    Everything I've heard has said Henry is not playing this season at all, but living in Chicago.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing for an All Star Keeper last season.

Amazing and weird.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US (and MLS) have some damn fine keepers. It's one position that is always challenged for.

7. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happend with Dallas?
    He got chipped in scrimmage vs. SMU (or Memphis?). That was that for his chances of beating out Garlick or Cassar.

Afterwards, he went to Ecquador with los Metros.

I bet he'll end up on some time by year's end.

Some team with little to no depth at that spot's starter is going to get hurt, and the backup's going to pull a Spitieri. Enter Ring.

8. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Nope - sorry. Not that I recall. I searched google - no luck. I did find the Thierry Henry Ringtone Is this what you were looking for?

9. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    Hilarious! :)

In just trying to think of which teams have what keepers and depth, I would question these teams:

SJ - who is behind Onstad... didn't they trade Cronen to LA, who I suppose will become Hartman's replacement. Do they have a good 2nd in SJ?
    RSL - who is behind DJ Countess?
    COL - who is behind Cannon?
    KC - seriously, Bo? give me a break... Ring better be calling the Hunts and asking WTF.
    CLB - Is Jordan a viable 2nd? He hasn't seen any action in quite some time and has been injury plagued recently

I would also think he could fight for a spot with DC or NE... maybe I'm missing the mark, but I can't see a real excuse for Ring to not have picked up a job... it's probably his girlfriends fault or something. You know, he doesn't want to stunt her career and be away from her... Lando Jr.

10. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    SJ has Conway, who has been waiting in the wings for a bit and is the reason they traded Cronin.

RSL - they want to groom DJ, they will not bring in the player who sent him to the bench last year.

Col - Foss is decent behind Cannon.

Clb - Jordon is a very good keeper, they are set.

KC, NE, and DC are the only places I could see him landing right now. It is so easy to find a good keeper in the states, nobody wants to pick up an expensive backup. To me, Rimando is still not fully back, and Reis and Bo are both career backups. Those are the openings.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Last I heard, he was in the NY/NJ pre-season camp. Don't know if they ever decided on signing him or not.

12. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Jan 21, 2005
    The Metros didn't. As said before he's living in Chicago and not playing for the time being.

13. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Metros didn't sign Ring. They brought in 2 DEV keepers to back up Walker & Wells. Kennedy will probably go to Puerto Rico, USL1 when Walker is healthy. I'm not sure if Uelstchey is there long term. But Wells and Walker have senior spots locked down for now.

DC has Perkins ready to take over if Rimando slips. KC has a high draft pick from last year in Hesmer. NE got Doug Warren. Reis is solid. I'm not sold on Bo, so I think KC or Chivas would be the places for Ring to find a team this season. I think the problem is he's too expensive for most teams as a backup GK right now?

14. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    He got some tail that won't let him out of bed or something?

15. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Henry Ring now lives in Chicago selling real estate . Unfortuanately, the Chicago Fire has elected to go with Zack Thorton(who left us for Portugal last year). This is part of the Fire's "defensive strategy"- please evaluate the 2 goals scored against them last Saturday to determine how effective this plan has been. Ring is a much more effective shot stopper than Thorton and is undoubtedly in much better shape- Zack could stand to lose 25lbs. And I am sure the Fire could have signed much more cheaply than Thorton who is well passed his prime. As the goal against number will sky-rocket for the Fire, this will go down as one of the most ill-conceived maneuvers.

16. M.T. Nets

M.T. Nets New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Most likely too expensive and too old to fit in a DEV position as a number 3( GK's can be 25). Unless there is a backup slot that becomes available or an injury it might be a very long season for Henry

17. chifirefan

chifirefan Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Chicago

Hi Henry! ;)

First game of the season and already Zach's weight is at issue. I mean really, he's had to lose the same 25-30 pounds for the last 5 years, hasn't he?! He'll lose it and he'll probably improve. Then he'll go away again and Henry will be back.

Or something.

:rolleyes:

18. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to start apartment shopping. I've got to find Ring if only because I want to say, "Hey, aren't you that guy who got chipped by Jovan Kirovski from midfield?" while he's showing me the kitchen. :D

19. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Jan 21, 2005
    Hey, I like Henry and all; but Zach is a hero around these parts. If Zach wants to play for us, he plays for us.

Additionally, while Ring's shot stopping is excellent, his distribution and reign over the defense is nowhere near as good as Zach's.

It blows he can't find a job, and really it's beyond fathom why he can't catch on somewhere. But blaming the Fire for signing Zach Thornton is hardly the way to go. Not to mention Ricardo Zamora likely wouldn't have stopped those goals Saturday.

20. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    The offseason?

21. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    It's not really beyond fatham to me unless you think some team should obviously have brought him in to replace their starter. The way the salary cap works he's too expensive for most teams to have as a backup. A few teams have 1 GK on the senior roster and 2 on DEV (like RSL, LA). Some have a rookie or 2nd year player at a near minimum salary as a backup (like MET, DC, CHI, KC, Chivas, and COL). The only teams with experienced backups are Dallas and Columbus. Maybe NE if you count Warren (I think he's on an initial standard contract). And Dallas brought Ring into camp. But he couldn't convince them to dump Cassar or Garlick. He couldn't convince Metrostars to dump Walker. Most every team has a returning starter. I'd agree that he might could beat a couple of returning starters like Oshoniyi and maybe Rimando, but those are the MLS Cup finalists. So when I think about how he gets on a roster, it's not so obvious. USL would be a tough move. I think the best option would be Scandanavia. But otherwise sitting out and waiting for an opportunity is reasonable.

22. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    As soon as we need a goalie to stand flat-footed while goals fly by, we'll be sure to call Henry.

23. futbolfirefan

futbolfirefan Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Chicago
    You mean while balls soar overhead 50 yards out.

24. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    All this could well prove true (sadly).

25. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How did he not even, at least, get picked up by a USL team? If no other MLS team wants him, and if his European adventure didn't come up with anything, why not go play for Minnesota or Seattle?

I mean, he was a starting GK last year in MLS, and to go straight to real estate is beyond me.

Pedro Rondon H de Sá repped this.