What formation?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by phoenixhazard, Dec 6, 2012.

1. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC

i agree with this as well...

what's funny is that, when you think about it, with three backs but one middie confronting on the wings or dropping back on the weakside, what do you end up with? 4 backs.

"formation" is really irrelevant. knowing where to be, who to cover, what to defend against, those are really what need to be spelled out.

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Exactly. This is the point I make to novice coaches who ask about formations. If I could coach kids from the first day they kick a ball, I wouldn't let them identify themselves as a forward/mf/def until they were in their teens. I'd probably send them out with just a basic instruction of what we need to accomplish and let their natural tendencies determine how they deploy.

3. Rover_Dave

Rover_Dave Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We had a game on saturday and i made a point to the mangers/coaches that everyone needs to be aware of their responsibilites and anyone who was unsure needed to ask before we got on the field. They did and we played much, much better.

Players were played in roles that suited their abilities as opposed to just putting players into a formation and hoping it worked.

4. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All great points, thanks.

So my team is in the offseason and I have picked up some very good players and got rid of the not so good/not dedicated. My team looks a little different now and was wondering if anyone has an idea for this one then. I agree that its the system/formation that fits the players and not the other way around.

4 forwards that are speedy and have good dribbling
    1 forward thats big and strong and can hold the ball well but lacks in dribbling and speed
    1 true #10
    1 fantastic defensive mid
    2 great box to box center mids
    2 right/left midfielders (one is the best crosser/free kicker on the team, other is a great poacher when he is in the box)
    2 strong but slow CBs
    1 fast CB but doesnt have greatest decision making
    No real fullbacks on the squad

I was thinking a 4-3-3 with the 2 wide midfielders playing as the full backs, what do u think?

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you're playing a 4-3-3 then you have a surplus of midfielders... be "Brazilian" and have the two CBs do most of your defending and convert your surplus (outside) mids into fullbacks or forwards. They may not be the best defenders, but I'm sure they can contain and harry attackers on the flanks. The plus side is, you get capable attackers joining the attack.

Ashley Cole used to be a forward. As was Jordi Alba.

Again, just make sure you're clear on the each position's role in general and specific to each match.

rca2 repped this.
  6. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I was going to do that but then what do i do with the surplus forwards I have? Use a 4-4-2 instead and use that extra mid as depth? I like the idea of a 4-2-2-2 but that requires the 2 CAMs to know a great deal of teh position and frankly i dont know much about it... It works nicely for Spurs though making bale and lennon CAMs rather than true wide players

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, that's your first problem . . .taking footballing "knowledge" from Sp*rs? Tsk. Tsk.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    What surplus? I suggest you look at a classic 433: RB CB CB LB, CM CM CM, RW CF LW.
    comments:
    1. Your team has plenty of dribblers in the wing and midfield. A target forward will not fit your other player's style from what you say.
    2. 4 dribbling speedy forwards means 4 flank players.
    3. With your selection you could go total soccer with interchange along the flanks between full backs and wingers, and up the middle with mids, CB and CF. An easier alternative (and a possible first step toward eventual total soccer) would be to switch positions each half. Swap wingers and attacking fullbacks. Try the slow target forward as a 3rd CB.
    4. Regardless give your talented mids and forwards creative freedom and freedom to roam (interchange). Get more off the ball movement that way. Make your fullbacks true attacking fullbacks.
    5. Consider using a high pressure defense and a possession offense based on the 4 excellent flank players linked by 3 good midfielders and your CF.

What sticks out to me is moving your #10 to CF and using your two box to box mids supported by the DM in the midfield. During the match if you want to play more conservative have one of the CM's play a more conservative holding role and let him distribute from there.

9. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the table ;)

Arsenal is falling apart faster than Janet Jackson's wardrobe at the super bowl

10. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was thinking along those lines, minus using my #10 as a Messi style. thanks

11. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ha. Best quote out of the Sp•rs thread last season, something along the lines of: "Best Spurs team in 40 years, worst Arsenal team in 20." The rest is history.

Frankly, I enjoyed the JJ's wardrobe mishap. But to each his own.

12. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol, of course you enjoyed it, that was my point! just like i enjoyed her wardrobe mishap, im enjoying arsenal's fall.

but in all seriousness you guys will prob bounce back, you always do. this time i think spurs might finally finish higher in the table though. we need a creative mid bad to fill the gap modric left tho, and another striker since Ade is leaving us for ACN

13. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC

a few things:
    when i read "speedy dribblers", i tend to think wingers/outside mids. if they can play wingers/outside mids, then maybe wingbacks.
    when i read "big strong, holds the ball, not so much dribbling or speed", i think withdrawn forward/playmaker
    when i read strong but slow CBs, i wonder about their decision-making. (that is, are they good enough to sweep?)
    when i read 1 fast CB, i think maybe better in a stopper/def. mid. role.

so maybe 5 across the back, with your 2 slower CBs as sweepers and directing the back line, your fast CB in the middle playing like a stopper (listening for directions from the slower CBs). with these three CBs, you can use wingbacks instead of true fullbacks, which means you should be able to deploy any of your outside mids/4 speedy forwards there.

where i see difficulty is your target man and your defensive mid. i'd play the target man withdrawn--but that means he's in the same space as your #10. and if you play your fast CB as a stopper, he's in the same space as your defensive mid.

with your fullbacks as wingbacks... you then really just need to focus on the center of the field, so your middies are some combination of 3, either 1-2 (def. mid + 2 b2b), or 2-1 (2 b2b + attacking mid).

leaving 2 spots up top, either 2 (forwards) or 1-1 (forward + withdrawn forward).

but all of this is really just a 3-4-3 (or 3-4-1-2), isn't it? hahahahahahahahahaha.