What format do you want for MLS cup?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Boloni86, Nov 1, 2013.

?

What format do you want for MLS cup?

Poll closed Dec 20, 2013.
  1. Current format

45.7%
  2. 1 game final at neutral venue

26.1%
  3. 2 game aggregate

15.2%
  4. Best of 3 (including variations of first to 4 or first to 5)

6.5%
  5. Don't want playoffs altogether.

6.5%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Just curious. For the record I hate the current format. Out of the options on my poll I'd choose single game at neutral venue, 2 game aggregate or best of 3 as infinitely better than what we have now.

Discuss ...

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Single game neutral venue

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the current format

KCbus and henryo repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Time will tell I guess. If after a few years it's proven that the away team is winning close to 50% of the finals I'll put away my skepticism.

But if it ends up being 80-90% for the home team, for me it really takes away from the unpredictability of what a final should be. After a grueling season and a testing playoff I just don't see how 1 team can deserve absolute 100% home field advantage based on 1 point in a table that measures 2 nearly independent conferences.

I think when you see a final you really want to see the 2 best in the competition go head to head with no head starts or handicaps. A 1 game home field advantage in best of 7 is one thing ... absolute 100% home field advantage is another.

I'm trying to think of another final in another sport where one team has absolute home field advantage ... especially when the deciding factor is not exactly earned by the same metric.

JasonMa repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only major sport I can think of that its guaranteed to happen in is the Pac-12 championship football game.

6. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #6 henryo, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    So far, we had 4 years worth of Final for a start, the outcome to date is 3 Home Wins (97 DC, 11 LA, 12 LA) vs 1 Away
    Victory (02 LA), for a 75%:25% ratio.

(The Final in 97 & 02 were coincidental home grounds for 1 of the Finalists though.)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MLS_Cup_finals

IMHO, 75:25% isn't too bad.

A win by home team this season will bring it up to 80:20, otherwise, it will fall to 67:33.

7. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my world, the MLS Cup Final is ALWAYS held at StubHub. So I picked single game neutral venue. But, I am also fine with the way it is.

8. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Correction: A win by Away Team this season will bring the ratio down to 60:40...

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this was BigSoccer, where the higher seeded team NOT having a big enough advantage was the complaint du jour?

So apparently, we need a playoff format that gives the better regular season team an overwhelming advantage during the playoff, but doesn't give them ANY advantage in the ultimate match.

I don't understand you people sometimes.

RafaLarios, Zoti, fuzzx and 4 others repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    What is this overwhelming advantage in the playoffs? As far as I know the only advantage is playing a lower seed and having the deciding game at home. An advantage certainly, but not overwhelming ... in fact some would argue that it's almost no advantage at all ... which is perfectly fine IMO

For the record I'm not one that is too concerned about giving the regular season more meaning in the playoffs. In my book the playoffs is a new beginning. I'm OK with a slight advantage but in a knockout game I think the decision has to be made based on the merits of what happens on that day ...

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    75/25 or 80/20 is pretty bad IMO. 60/40 maybe not so much.

What other major single game sports final put such a massive handicap against one of the contestants?

12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MEME.jpg

Kejsare, JasonMa, henryo and 1 other person repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point.

People complain all the time that higher-seeded teams don't get enough advantage, and now we've got someone complaining that in the most important match of the year, the higher-seeded team should have no advantage.

henryo repped this.
  14. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but I haven't been part of the former group and regularly part of the latter group. :D

henryo repped this.
  16. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    It would be MLS itself, the 1-legged Conference FINALs held between 2003-11.

To date, IIRC, the Winning Ratio for that is about 60:40, not quite a significant advantage despite the set-up.

When sample size grows, things do tend to normalize themselves...

17. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    I think MLS needs to decide whether to be like the other American sports or like the other playoff type soccer competitions. Right now, MLS is somewhere in between.

To adopt the American sports model: Adopt a best of series to align more with NHL/NBA or adopt the one game system like the NFL. To adopt the soccer competition model: Adopt a group stage format/knock out round format of the World Cup and Champions League. But don't do this wild card business of American sports for one round and then the 180 minutes over two rounds like soccer competitions. Its all schizo.

The best thing about the NHL and the NBA is the playoffs are long enough to allow the casual observer to check in and get interested. To actually become invested in a team. To see the ups and downs. To have a season within a season. The NFL already has the luxury of having people being engaged because the season is so short. But MLS needs people to buy in and check it out for a month like the NCAA basketball tournament. Right now, it feels like the MLS playoffs are too short and complex for Joe Six Pack to really hop on and enjoy a nice fun emotional ride. It feels like they bounce around a little bit.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NCAA Basketball tournament lasts 21 days.

19. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I can't wait for accurate information before I'm upset over something MLS does," said the majority of YBTD posters I've disagreed with.

henryo repped this.
  20. KazooWilly

KazooWilly Member

Jul 28, 2010
    I'm fine with the top remaining seed having the final at their home stadium. A neutral venue would also be fine with me...even preferable, but not necessary.

What I am not fine with is this farce of two legged playoff rounds. Either go with single elimination games, or go to a best of three (allowing for ties). Why on earth does the number one team gain zero advantage for their "superior" season when (theoretically) matched against 5th seeded teams? The only times a higher seed has any advantage is the "wild card" game between the 4th and 5th seed, and in the final. It's this sort of mickey mouse garbage that keeps me from truly getting behind this league (that and the lack of team in Detroit...but that's another subject). And thing is, they're not even doing the two-legged system correctly (with away goals).

On that note, I would be more than fine if they left the playoffs as they are, with the exception of a change to single elimination and/or a three game series. The reasons European competitions utilize a two-legged system are in no way even relevant in MLS.

Unak78, themightymagyar and joebarnin repped this.
  21. joebarnin

joebarnin Member

May 3, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Basically agree. I slightly prefer MLS Cup at top seed versus neutral, but either is fine. But the two-legged playoff rounds have got to go.

22. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 1930, 1934, 1950, 1958, 1966, 1974, 1978, 1998, and more than likely 2014 World Cups championship matches? As far as I know, that home field advantage wasn't earned by any sporting metric.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they aren't guaranteed home field advantage. There were numerous MLS Cups before the current format that a team had home field advantage because they were picked to host, but that wasn't guaranteed as part of the format. Currently every MLS Cup some team will have a home field advantage. The only other setup like that in a major one-off championship game that I'm aware of is the Pac-12 football championship.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't wanna go "this is how they do it in Europe" on ya...but in Europe, a single GOAL over 38 matches can decide the whole championship.

I, personally, slightly favor a one game match at a neutral site over a one game match at the higher seed...but the reason for that isn't the one you cite.

In an East vs. West set up, there's a very good chance that one team will have a de facto home field advantage for absolutely no reason at all when it's at a neutral site. For example, if the final is to be held at NYRB, then if any of the East Coast teams make it, they'll have many more fans than the Sounders or Quakes or Gals, because their fans won't have to get on a plane to make it to the match. They can just ride the Acela.

Unless your idea is to have it in Toronto every year, because, well, you know.

25. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I do agree that MLS needs to get out of thin in between place that it's in. I'm somewhat a Eurosnob when it comes to most MLS structure issues, but not when it comes to playoffs.

The way I see it playoffs are an American thing. If you're going to do playoffs at least do it right and do it in a way that's been proven to appeal to fans. A best of 3 (first to 4/first to 5 ... whatever you want to call it) is the natural way to go forward. Each game has finality. Each game is worth what it's worth. This idea of tabulating individual goals over a two legged series is not a concept that is ever likely to appeal to fans here.

But to the original point of this thread I can pretty much live with a single final game if need be. The word "final" has an inherent singularity to it that sort of implies finality. Whatever. One game final is fine, just not with absolute home field advantage based on standings on two tables from two different conferences that are almost completely independent from each other.

themightymagyar repped this.