What exactly qualifies Martin Vasquez?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheNearPost, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The February 4 article, with the Klinsi and Herzog quotes that has fed the recent discussion about Vasquez, directly quoted Klinsi as saying the Vasquez plans and organizes practices. It didn't say Herzog had any role in planning and organizing practices.

And then Herzog is quoted as saying he prefers to meet with players in small groups or 1v1.

Plus, Vasquez was hired soon after Klinsman was appointed, and Klinsi referred to him as his top assitant and right hand man.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/43552/martin-vasquez-set-to-be-klinsmanns-no-1-assista.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/soccer/post/_/id/10680/vasquez-is-klinsmanns-right-hand-man

Herzog was hired in December of 2011 and first worked with the US team at the January 2012 Camp.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's fairly obvious who the thread title is about.

Have to laugh at the straw man efforts . . .

3. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm sorry, but could you read the thread title for me real quick? What exactly are you bantering for right now? That I'm not completely lambasting Herzog and Woods too?

The point of this thread is to bring attention to the widely-believed idea that Juergen Klinsmann is at least somewhat dependent on a good coaching staff for success, and that Martin Vasquez has nothing on his record that would lead us to believe he could be a good assistant, or coach for that matter.

Herzog does seem more experienced, but I don't really see much on his record that jumps out. The Austrian national team didn't really have a good record when he was either caretaker or assistant coach. I can't find the record for his Austrian U21 team, but unless he wooped Spain's senior team or something and I missed it, it won't give me much more security. Chris Woods(while I'm sure you were joking when you brought him up) had 43 caps for England, and is the goalkeeping coach, so I doubt most of our tactical issues really fall on him, although he shouldn't be ashamed to give himself a pat on the back after Timmy's blinder in the Azteca ;)

Regardless, my main problem here is Vasquez. He has failed miserably independently, and has already failed with Juergen.

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As explained by several people this is par for the course. What exactly do you think an assistant coach is supposed to do?

And this tells us what exactly?

Vasquez was the first assistant hired then Andreas and Chris. Andreas has responsibility for the European players which one could argue is the most important component of our player pool. Maybe Andy is the "top assistant"?

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By widely-believed idea you mean B.S. strawman?

Well then this thread is > 18 months too late.

6. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My question is, which one of these guys is helping Juergen with game-to-game and minute-to-minute tactical decisions? None of Woods, Herzog, or Vasquez really have outstanding records, and Juergen is no tactician either, so who exactly is the expert in that department? It's starting to look like we don't have a single one, and that is very, VERY concerning.

7. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jesus H. Christ. The guy has talked about the kind of help he got from Jogi himself. Everyone knows it. It's not a strawman. It's something NOBODY disputes. Not even your master himself.

8. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you get it???

These concerns about Vasquez are invalid because this particular thread was started 18 months too late. The history of Vasquez's background as a failed coach are therefore simply a meaningless strawman.

The fact that a number of posters did mention worries about Vasquez in other threads back when he was hired, or that the Germans regularly give Loew a lot of the credit for helping never-coached-before-Klinsi back in 2005 and 2006, and that the Germans see the Klinsi+Vasquez combo at Bayern as an abject failure well, that's invalid, too.

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the USMNT head coach, nor his 3 assistants have enough tactical knowledge! Are you offering yourself for the job?

10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concerns are perfectly valid they are just a little bit silly. What's next, concern about JK's hairstyle and wardrobe?

The USMNT will fail or succeed and be judge strictly based JK's system. If the team wins the Hex, wins their group at WC2014 and say gets to the quarter finals it will not mean that Vasquez or Herzog are brilliant tacticians. Conversely if the team fails JK should get the blame not his assistants.

If Jogi Loew was coaching the USMNT right now (with the exact same context) instead of Klinsmann we would likely be in the exact same place.

11. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    And Klinsmann himself...

It looks like JK never learned to coach the defense from Loew and now it's in Vasquez's hands for the USNT.

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, this thread is about Vasquez and his experience prior to being named Klinsi's 1st Assistant. A number of posters have brought in various quotes indicating Vasquez plays a very important role for Klinsi, similar to what Loew did for Klinsi in 2005 and 2006. We have also raised questions about Vasquez's poor professional track record prior to being hired by Klinsi in 2011.

If you think Vasquez is a good coach and a good selection, then the ball is in your court. You are free to bring some quotes and some evidence from his past suggesting that he's a great soccer trainer/teacher. Put your evidence on the table and let's see what you've got.

So far all you've got is that this thread was created too late or that Goebbels would like somebody's spin.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They definitely weren't an abject failure at Bayern.

Their most impressive performance was a 12:1 home&away hammering of Sporting Lisbon in the first knock-out series of the 08-09 Champions League.

But then they went down big to Barcelona (4:0 at Nou Camp) and were knocked out 5:1 in total. Barcelona was where Klose made remarks that he didn't know what the coaches wanted - to press off a throw-in or fall off, etc.

http://espnfc.com/team/fixtures?id=132&season=2008&league=uefa.champions&cc=5901

They were fired after the Schalke loss, where JJ (70th min) and Franck Ribery (76th) were ass-carded.

If you look at that Bayern roster, however, you see mixed quality - Lell, Borowski, Ottl, Sosa, aging Ze Roberto - that doesn't leave one with an impression that it ought to have been a dominating squad.

http://espnfc.com/us/en/gamecast/statistics/id/252517/statistics.html?soccernet=true&cc=5901

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but if you take the prior year's Bundelsiga Champions, bring them no titles of any kind, and drag them to the brink of losing a spot in the next year's Champions League, and then get fired before your first year is complete, I think that qualifies as a failure.

15. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    In the article people psoted where it broke down how JK's team worked fro mthe inside, the 2 assistant coaches Vazquez and Hertzog give their input over the players they watch over. Essentially his 2 most trust scouts over USMNT players in their region. He takes that input and comes out with a decision of who he pics, how he goes about with tactics, but you can't put the blame more on Vazquez than Hertzog...unless you are there listening to phone calls, in behind the scene marker boards, meetings, etc.

I kind of feel it's unfair to pick on Vazquez, because all the article said he really did was do TRAINUING for the team, and give his input for the guys out of MLS and Mexico.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Will Bruin at CC2013:
    "Because of the language it's easier for [Vasquez] to talk with the players," Herzog told Goal.com. "For me it's easier to talk with a little group, from face to face, about the tactical thing."

"Martin does a lot of the explaining," Will Bruin said. "We haven't split up too much into defense and offense, but when we have Jurgen's been with the forwards and Martin's been with the defenders and Andy goes back and forth."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...gg-how-klinsmann-put-together-his-us-coaching

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Blame our defensive errors on Vazquez. :p lol

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The problem was that they were idle on the transfer market, only bringing in Donovan and Oddo (who was then way past his prime) on loans.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/fc-b...rs/verein_27_2008_default_default_alle_a.html

That's where Kahn's retirement hit them very hard.

By comparison, the following season Uli spent about $100M on Robben, Gomez, Timoschuk, Pranjic, et al. + promoted Thomas Müller and Holger Badstuber from their U-23 team.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/fc-b...rs/verein_27_2009_default_default_alle_a.html

gmonn repped this.
  19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    With Germany JK left the defensive coaching to Loew. It appears he is doing the same with the US and Martin Vasquez. Therefore evaluating MV's qualifications is of interest to many.

20. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Who has done this?

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I actually thought our defense was churning out alright....until last game!

People were too eager to switch out an aging Boca.. who I believed could still contribute up til after the WC...but a loud group of posters disagreed. Those same posters got their wish and saw a yougn, MLS reflective CB pairing... what did it do?

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think Cherundolo is more vital than Boca. I've seen Dolo ordering the line, talking to the other guys, organizing the defense in-game, the sort of stuff you expect a top keeper to do. Actually, Dolo may be the single most important player to get a result abroad, considering his influence on the whole defensive setup.

23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true.

Not true.

In order to evaluate Vasquez's (Herzog and Woods) qualification to be an assistant coach. It is important to understand the difference between a head coach and an assistant coach and evaluate against the functions of an assistant coach. I have seen no such evaluation attempted.

Frankly from reading what people are alarmed about, there seems to be a real lack of basic understanding of the difference between the roles and responsibilities of a head coach, assistant coaches and trainers.

Your quotes and the conclusions you reach are a prime example.

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Klinsmann's and players' quotes suggest a lot of the defensive coaching is left to Vasquez. Roles and responsibilites of assistants will be different for every manager/ assistant relationship. Klinsmann appears to give his assistants, or at least his main assistant, a lot of responsibility. He has admitted he did this with Loew.

Klinsmann and Vasquez have failed together before, IMO. They are underwhelming now, IMO. This team appears to have little direction. This team's defensive issues have not been well addressed in JK's 18 months in charge.

I am not ready to write of Klinsmann, or even Vasquez, at this point. I am concerned though.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correction. Some recent quote have suggested that some defensive training is primarily run by Vasquez and Herzog. Some offensive training is primarily run by Klinsmann and Herzog. Your earlier cited SPIEGEL quotes are about training.

As I said before, there really is a difference between coaching and training.

You should be very concerned. I will be very concerned until we finish the Hex in positions 1, 2, or 3.