What DP signinig would create buzz for the casual & hard core fan

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by wantmlsphilly, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    In terms of not publicizing rejection - wouldn't that maybe let others know MLS is an option?

2. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not trying to be rude here, but I think you honestly don't understand what that phrase means. Moving the goal posts is in reference to when someone changing their original statement after being proven wrong in order to continue to argue while not conceeding that they were wrong. Let me show you how...

You say that all DPs are past their prime. That is not the case, as I pointed out there are several DPs who are not past their prime. Now instead of conceding that you were wrong, you instead just make change the argument about the 'big 5'. Now there are 28 currently DPs, and your 'big 5' aren't even all DPs since Nesta in fact is just a squad player. So your 'big 4' actually only represents about 14% of DPs in the league.

GOAL POST #1 - 100% of DPs are past their prime
    GOAL POST #2 - Hey...lets ignore everyone else and just focus on 14% of the DPs since those are the ones that fit best into my argument.

See how that argument shifted? See how instead of just conceding that you were wrong you instead just change the paramaters of the argument to whatever fits your views. So yes, those DPs 'big 4' or are past their prime. No one would argue against that. And NO ONE in this league is being targeted by the biggest club or clubs in the world. Also NO ONE is suggesting that.

CCSUltra repped this.
  3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must not be able to read. You were also wrong to say that Nesta is a DP. He is not.

Did you read what 4door, myself and others posted? I guess not.

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are you asking me if you're surprised? How should I know that?

Somebody has to show you where you're wrong.

5. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one has ever argued that any of those players are not past their prime. Can you show me where anyone has ever commented otherwise?

6. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

No I saw him. Just wasn't that impressed. Is that ok? Anybody else?

7. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe I named 5 with video links. They won't create 'buzz' but they could all be quality signings. At this point, I'm more interested in quality than in 'names'.

8. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

So you are saying you can't have both.

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not without signing a big name. A big name probably isn't going to come to MLS unless he his on the other side of 30. Which you will then bitch about.

10. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, those guys will all require transfer fees (Flores was free last month and I was hoping he would be our replacement for Grazzini if he left) so in the end they might actually cost just as much as your 'name' players.

I personally would rather have Jhasmani Campos than a Owen, Ballack, Del Piero any day. I think people don't realize how talented that kid is because he plays in Bolivia, but he is a very good player. Imagine a younger/faster Rosales for Sounders. And I think he could be sold in the future for a profit.

11. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, I think this is why we don't get along. I think this is why people here get frustrated with you.

The point of these boards isn't just to "throw out some opinion" and wait for opinion from others. It's about suggesting a proposition (usually a 'Value Statement'), such as "Resolved: the current strategy MLS is using vis-a-vis Designated Players is not the ideal way to utilize that tool" and then backing up that proposition with facts, statistics, etc. to help demonstrate that your proposition is correct.

Then others who disagree with you will work to either a. demonstrate that your backing evidence is invalid or b. claim their own facts and statistics that back up their side.

And then the really fun part happens. You can try to demonstrate that their evidence is invalid. And perhaps a larger discussion concerning the remaining valid evidence would be used to demonstrate that the remaining valid evidence on your side (the "Proposition", if you will) is strong then theirs (the "Opposition"; see what we're doing here?).

That, my friend, is a discussion. An exchange of ideas. A way for us as people to find out how each other think and perhaps question are own assertions. In short: it's a way for us to learn from one another.

If we don't do that and just shoot off "opinions" and say "MLS DPs aren't good" and respond "But yeah, they are" then all we're doing is masturbating. We're doing something only for ourselves, only to make ourselves feel better, feel like our opinions matter because now they're posted only.

That might make you feel good, but I'm in this for an actual discussion...not a circle-jerk of opinions

song219 and Jasonma repped this.
  12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I highlighted about 30 posts in this thread before deciding it wasn't worth it. Obviously it spun out of control a long time ago.

I'm no fan of name calling, but there are many forms of 'rudeness', and steadfast refusal to participate in meaningful discussion, which includes listening to those who disagree (even if it's just to better refute them) is certainly one of them. Especially on an online discussion forum. I would think that would be pretty obvious.

You don't have to say something pointed to be rude. (Nor, frankly, is making a pointed comment about another's opinion necessarily rude. Opinions do not inherently deserve respect, some are in fact disrespectful--including uninformed ones.)