What DP signinig would create buzz for the casual & hard core fan

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by wantmlsphilly, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're not "stuck with them". They are valuable assets to improve the League.

You want to throw all of this imaginary money (imaginary money, mind you, that belongs to other people) to bring in the best players in the world. I think you need to realize that MLS isn't the EPL, or La Liga...we have grown as strong as we have as quick as we have for making smart choices, economically. We can't just throw that away because you have a hardon for Ozil and Berbatoc

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, that's it. You've got me. David Beckham could not have played anywhere but Paris or LA. There wasn't a single Chinese team that wanted him. No Japanese team would have traded their left nut for the chance to be with Beckham. If Beckham tried to play for Milwall, he would have ended up bloodied on the side of the road; they would have considered it an insult. And that upsets me.

Get this through your skull (which is proving to be thicker the more you talk) He's with LA...because he wants to be with LA. Because MLS is a destination for him. Because no matter how much money Bari threw at him, LA wasn't giving him up, so they didn't even bother

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  3. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

I have read the first 15 pages the only clubs I see are QPR, AC Milan, PSG - none of the other cities listed.

4. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

Personally, it may be more like Albert Pujols - how many clubs actually met with him? The Marlins. The Cardinals . The Angels. Now if you asked every club in baseball - would you want Albert on your team? Sure they would? Will you make an offer? Uhhh - no we won't.

5. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These guys are either on the upswing of their career or in their prime...
    Fernandez, Garcia, Montero, Castillo, Chara, Adu, Shea, Bengtson

6. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if they can play and are an upgrade from the guys we got...then bring them in!

7. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

Andy Carroll and Demba Ba are upgrades!

8. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MAYBE, but not until the Club World Cup (something we could actually compete in) becomes the biggest and most respected competition in the world. Until then we'll always be at a disadvantage because of the UEFA CL. With the growth of the game in Asia and N. America, that could happen someday, but MLS won't be able to compete globally for world class talent until they can offer top players a shot at the biggest prize.

9. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I directly quoted your statement that MLS DPs are beyond their best days. I listed a bunch of MLS DPs who are not past their best days.

10. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody accused you of moving the goalposts there. It was just pointed out that those guys aren't going to come to the league at this time. Both would be fantastic signings, but they aren't realistic.

I'd love to see Demba Ba. But it's much easier for the league to get guys from Colombia because they are willing to come here.

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Actually you must not be able to read. My last post said that it must frustrate you that the best players in MLS best days are behind them. Never mentioned MLS DP's in that quote. Even though the DP's otherwise known as The Five - best days are behind them Beckham. Frings, Henry, Nesta, Keane.

12. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the teams in the league are focusing their energy on scouting areas where they know they can get players. That way they can get better players and improve the reputation of the league and continue to attract better players.

And anyways, we don't know what phone calls the league is making. The league doesn't publicize every player teams are going after.

13. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I quoted you in post #405. I was pointing out DPs in MLS who are not past their prime

Here is your quote

I think the DP's in MLS are beyond their best days

14. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In post #406 I was quoting your comment about MLS being limited to only players from Paraguay because they can't afford guys in their prime playing at the biggest leagues in the world. I replied that I am fine with signing guys from Paraguay as long as they are better than the players we have right now. I was to build our league and clubs slowly with players we can afford and players who will come here. If a player from Paraguay is an upgrade from our current players then I would welcome him.

here is your quote again...
    I guess that MLS is stuck with players from Paraguay then.

15. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We actually have went over this before and you actually conceded the point. There is no way to know what offers have been made for any players or any phone calls that have been made, only ones that have been leaked from agents. Even if MLS did make a call this morning to Newcastle and got turned down, we would never hear about it.

16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

You know it is funny you say that because when I googled Demba Ba there was a story about how he may move to Ruben Kazan in Russia. How is it that a story like that gets leaked, but if MLS were interested - that would never be leaked?

You are right though, I am sure MLS didn't make the call.

17. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

My mistake - the fab five DP's (Keane, Beckham, Henry, Frings, Nesta) best days are behind them.

Is that better?

18. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No because Nesta isn't a DP. If you look at the entire list of DPs you have guys who are in before their prime, players who are in their prime, and players who are past their prime. If you go to Europe, you are mostly going to get players past their prime, if you go to Latin America you can more easily get players who are in their prime or coming into their prime. This is why many MLS fans want MLS to forget about the 'names' and just go after the best talent they can afford and actually build a TEAM that impresses people not just a name that impresses them.

19. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well there are stories all the time with MLS teams, I think the Red Bulls/Galaxy have been linked to half of Europe at this point. The point is that agents do this only when it benefits the player. Very little of it is actually true (especially in England), they use it to leverage new deals with the club or to signal other clubs through these stories that a player might be unhappy and is looking to possibly move.

As far as Russia goes...Russia is actually a stronger league that MLS. Investment has really stepped up in Russia partly because of the World Cup, and of course they get to participate in the Champions League. Even if a player would consider Russia it doesn't mean they would consider MLS.

20. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin can also pay way more than MLS can and it's a stronger league. Rubin regularly compete in the Champions League and Europa League. It makes the league more attractive.

21. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a good example of goalposts being moved

1. you suggested MLS DPs are all past their prime
    2. This is untrue as I show a list of DPs who are not past their prime
    3. You say that the 'big 5' is past their prime
    4. This is also untrue as I point out that one of your 'big 5', Nesta is not a DP
    5. You still say that he is past his prime

So now its not even about DPs, Nesta is just a player in the league. So MLS shouldn't sign anyone over the age of 30 regardless of talent level? Giggs has been 'past his prime' for several years but still serves a purpose at the biggest club in the world.

22. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not this year. They do have the Europa League this year, possibly Champions League next year. Rubin are one of the top teams in Russia, and Russia is one of the top leagues in Europe.

No point in publicizing rejection.

Except that, you know, the league has already done this. By signing younger players from South and Central America.

Just because Manchester United or Harry Redknapp had no use for the competition doesn't make it worthless. And it's easy for Manchester United to say they bailed on it after they got their asses handed to them by Athletic Club.

23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

I have consistently sayer that MLS DP's the fab five Beckham, Keane, Henry, Nesta, Frings are past their prime. Freddy Adu - useless (well past his prime), Brek Shea ( in his prime, but how good is that?), the rest are just ok.

May not be a DP, but they sure are making a big deal about his signing (come on, you and I both know he had no offers - his only choice was retirement.

Note the biggest club in the world comment.

Did Manchester United make a bid for Beckham? Keane? Henry? Frings? Adu? Shea? Montero? Bengston? Chara? Fernandez? Didn't think so. You are right - Ryan Giggs is still good enough to be on Manchester United even though being over 30.

24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, so a player is only good enough for you unless Manchester United or a club like that is bidding for them.

Just because Manchester United isn't bidding for Fredy Montero or Alvaro Fernandez doesn't mean they aren't good players that improve the league. Jesus Tap-dancing Christ.

MLS isn't Manchester United. Nobody has ever said that.

25. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is arguing that your 'fab 5' (only 4 of them being DPs) are past their prime. Who is arguing that? But you seem to ignore the DPs who are not past their prime because they don't have a big name or haven't played in Europe.

I really don't care what other offers Nesta had or did not have. The guy isn't even a DP, I only compare him to other non-DP center backs that Montreal could have brought in. I think for only a few 100k a year, he is a good signing and will help that club.

The comment about Man United was not about our DPs, it was in reference to age. OF COURSE they didn't make bids for our guys. The comment is to show that clubs of all size can use guys who are past their prime as viable members of the team. Man United is a good example of this. There is no reason MLS can't do the same.