What DP signinig would create buzz for the casual & hard core fan

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by wantmlsphilly, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that a breakout star in Mexico is NEVER going to come to MLS, no matter the money. It won't happen. At least not right now. Doing so would have been a step back for his career and he would have lost popularity in Mexico.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

You guys seem fixated on Chicharito. You have made your point I concede.

How about getting on track.

What DP signing will create buzz among hard care and casual fans?

Hopefully this doesn't constitute moving the goal posts.

3. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just because a kid grew up in Kansas City doesn't mean he begged the Royals to draft him and let him play. It is a weak argument that you put out there. I never argued where he grew up.
    Earlier in the thread I threw out names and my two ideas were Park Ji-Sung because I knew he was on the transfer list and I said Michael Owen. Chicharito could not have given David a run for his money because a casual soccer fan did not know his name until the last World Cup and he was transferred to Man Utd. You're just throwing crap out there again. You're not going to compete against the number one jersey seller in the WORLD and when I say that its crossing every sports boundary.

4. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every team fails at some signings, even if it is Manchester United or even Barcelona. FYI though its not Man U.... Man U is a derogatory term that opponents use to highlight the Munich Disaster

5. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    those posts had to be read within their context.

6. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know but I was just giving you a heads up

7. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    i mean, i think you didn't understand their meaning. but i wasn't looking to be very straightforward there, so it's not important.

re Man U, i think the fans will have to get over it. it's a natural and widely used short version of the name. it will only be more popular. the club will even use it for their IPO next week.

8. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not trying to argue with you about it.... just telling you as a general rule of thumb

9. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

It is pretty widely known that Albert REALLY wanted Kansas City to draft him - since he played high school baseball and junior college baseball in Kansas City. I don't think that is a stretch.

In terms of Chicharito - I would have to respectfully disagree. Think of all of the people of Mexican descent - I also respectfully disagree that he wasn't well known among casual fans. Maybe not as well known as Beckham ( when the guy gets to do what he wants and go to Wimbledon while suspended) I guesss he is bigger than the Galaxy and the league itself. That is not a good thing.

With regards to Michael Owen and Park Ji Sung - aren't they the same type of DP that MLS currently has? Now this is not meant to anger MLS fans, I saw a television interview with Michael Owen. He said that he would not play for a Championship side. I don't know where he puts MLS in that pecking order.

My assumption is that fans only believe that European stars that have served their usefulness in Europe are the only stars that will come to MLS currently?

10. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because he may have wanted to go to Kansas City (there is no evidence of this that I have found) doesn't mean he begged Kansas City to draft him and you said he begged the rest of baseball to sign him? I heard you begged all of the millionaires in the world to give you money. See how this argument isn't factual but if somebody wanted to give you a million dollars you probably wouldn't mind. Its basically your Albert Pujols story in a nutshell.

Back to soccer you asked me to say which players I had offered and I told you which players I offered. To be specific about Owens though he said that he either wanted to play in the Premiership or he wanted to go abroad. He wouldn't entertain lower division clubs in England offering him a contract. As for their quality I have already said what the pros and cons are with them. You seem to be the only person on here arguing that current DPs are substandard for the league. Also your wanting to get Berbatov is the same "Eurostar" that you seem to argue against so where's the sense in your arguments?

Why would a person who can play for a Champions League side come to America and play for Real Salt Lake in front of a crowd that is half the size he'd be playing for in Europe? It doesn't make sense for the player economically, he'd more than likely be missing out on better sponsorship deals.

As for your problem with Beckham, if LA gave him permission to go then its not your concern. Yeah maybe David Beckham hasn't been an ideal teammate in the past but you need to understand Bruce Arenas is his coach now and he doesn't take crap from stars like Beckham. If you have a problem with Beckham's demanding schedule cool, that's your problem. Beckham has still given the MLS much more press than any other player in the MLS ever has.

A national hero in Mexico, Blanco, didn't outsell Beckham why would a younger Chicharito outsell Beckham?

11. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is anyone out there that we could get that would create 'buzz'. Beckham was a perfect storm. The only ones that would get the world talking about us would be Messi, Ronaldo, and maybe Neymar. But of course those guys aren't coming now, but I agree they would create huge buzz. I think Kaka is the closest to creating a buzz and being in the right stage of his career, but I don't think he would create the same impact as Beckham does because he just isn't that famous among non-soccer fans. Ronaldinho was close, if you got him in 2010 from Milan after the World Cup, then you could have maybe got the nation's media talking about MLS and Ronaldinho.

At this point I think MLS needs a great team not a great signing. One that the soccer world shows respect to for their accomplishments. This is how you are going to get the hard core fan, not by just signing a 34 year old Euro star. But of course that is going to be harder and take longer to do.

12. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Yeah maybe David Beckham hasn't been an ideal teammate in the past but you need to understand Bruce Arenas is his coach now and he doesn't take crap from stars like Beckham.

Maybe?

13. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Well - maybe it proves my point - the Royals couldn't see Albert for the trees even though he was in their backyard. I am going to keep looking on my first assertion I know I read it somewhere.

Berbatov is the same kind of player - I just couldn't think of someone else. It is disappointing with as many MLS fans on this board and the extent of their knowledge only Hope Solo, Michael Owen and Park Ji Sung have been mentioned. As bright of minds that I am sure read this thread - I would have thought other names would have been mentioned.

If you pay them enough money - they will come.

As I said - there are a lot of people in America of Mexican descent - which means Lots of potential customers. In the 2010 census there were 19 million people of male origin that were of Mexican American descent - in America.
    Not counting wharvyou could possibly sell in Mexico. Beckham sold 600,000 shirts by I believe November 2011.

I think he could give David a run for his money. Just my opinion.

14. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

So the answer after fourteen pages is no one?

15. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one that will come here. I think the next step is to create a team that causes buzz not just a player. It certainly won't happen overnight, but if MLS wants to attract casual/hard core fans, they need to put out a team that can go and hang with any club in the world. We need a club version of what happened to the USNT after the 02' WC and 09' Confederations Cup. Everyone knew we weren't Brazil, but there was a sense that we actually made a step forward and now we can play with the big boys. It gave casual fans a reason to start watching USNT games because they knew we might actually beat someone. Winning against Mexico and the Gold Cups also caused a real shift in Concacaf and made Mexicans take our NT seriously. We need a club now to do that. Its going to be hard and its going to take an investor to really spend a lot of money on quality and not just 'names'. It probably can't even happen right now due to salary restrictions, but I really think if we are going to reach the next level with this league, it won't be a superstar that does it, it will be a team.

16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Well it was entertaining.

17. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not to be snarky but how do you put 'NEVER/It won't happen' and 'at least not right now' in the same paragraph.

18. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    I am disappointed that Hope Solo is the only real viable option anyone came up with (I know Michael Owen was floated - sure, that will happen).

I heard some young South American and Central American players, but have seen no names yet.

19. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus ********ing christ. How many times do people have to say that Hope Solo wasn't a real or viable option? Do you just like posting that so you can feel good about yourself for saying that MLS should have put the league in financial risk to sign Özil or Chicharito (who wouldn't join the league anyway)?

I don't know exactly what South or Central American players the league should be signing. I'm not a scout or an expert in that region. My point was I'd rather have the league scout for young players in that region that throw tens of millions at players that aren't even interested in playing here. Hell, I think Houston did a good job in signing Boniek Garcia and New England did a good job with Jerry Bengtson.

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cavenaghi, now shut the ******** up.

21. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was the one who brought up Solo, I also brought up Neymar. I don't think either of those players will come to MLS or should come to MLS. The conversation began about what player would create buzz, meaning would be on sportscenter and would get people talking, even people who don't like or know about MLS. But these are not realistic signings, this is only a conversation about who would get casual/hard core fans talking.

Now as far as young South/Central Americans...well none of the guys we could get are going to create buzz. But if you want to know some players that could make good signings.

22. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Classy.

23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

I was just throwing out names. To me - there was more talk about who they couln't sign - as opposed to those that they could sign.

Didn't think there were that many suggestions.

24. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: cry me a river. I tried, I really did, to keep it civil with you. However, you did what everyone else does around here and thus I have changed my approach accordingly.

Yet you've held people to specifics about everything in this entire discussion and you're honestly surprised at the responses you get.

25. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever I point out specifics to you, you just ignore them and say its my opinion. Chicharito hasn't touched on anything Blanco or Marquez has done and they didn't/haven't given Beckham a run for his money on jersey sales.

As for Pujols nobody saw him, he was drafted in the 13th freaking round. He wasn't supposed to do anything basically after AA.

Yeah so you neglected to read the first three to four pages where people were actually having sensible conversations about players the MLS could get.

Preach :ROFLMAO: