What DP signinig would create buzz for the casual & hard core fan

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by wantmlsphilly, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    If MLS had gotten to him with an offer before - Manchester United. Maybe. You are probably right after Manchester United is in the picture.

Still think he could have rivaled Beckham - how many people of Mexican descent are in the United States!

Kaka is over 30 - so he fits in with the rest I would think.

Ozil - you are right - probably a stretch - however what is the title of the thread - What DP signing would create buzz amongst hard core and casual fans. Carroll, Ozil, Chicharito would have a chance to do that.

No Central and South American up and coming star can do that.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

In my opinion - which is not to be taken for fact - you are saying RVP's best days may be behind them (which they may). But he is closer to his best days than the other five I would think (again, opinion).

3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, the fact would remain that his best days were behind him when he left Arsenal ... and "x" bought him after that instead of that one 21 year old awesome guy in Brazil.

Which, by the way, was the point you were making about the MLS guys.

4. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh no. Not maybe or anything that could be mistaken to resemble a yes.

Kaka turned 30 in April.

He's still very coveted and has plenty of years left.

not a stretch, an absolute falsity.

There are a few Brazilians that could.

5. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    As I said earlier - RVP' will command a higher transfer fee (even though his best days are behind him) - than any of the five could now. So The Five (not to be confused with the show on Fox News) wouldn't get a fee similar to RVP'S can now. Which - I will say is not fact and only my opinion. In no way should it ever be taken as a fact either.

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy ******** man.

The transfer fee they can get has dick all to do with the point you were making about the MLS only getting these guys after their best days were behind them. What the blue perfect hell does that have to do with a transfer fee ?

Or did you jump topic mid stream again and are now talking about whether or not players are more valuable before or after they come to the MLS ?

7. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    All I was trying to say is RVP'S is better than The Five at this point in time. RVP's best days may be behind him. But - he is a lot closer to his best days than they are.

See what I mean. Every one says they understand MLS can't sign players in their prime to come - when you compare said players to MLS DP's and say said player is better. Everything goes nuts.

I still haven't seen any specific names that would fit the thread title - or, maybe the better question is - are they even out there?

Now - don't everybody get mad at me. I am not saying there aren't any. I would Hope - Hope Solo is not the best name we can come up with.

8. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

Would you say a transfer fee goes to their current worth as a player as opposed to RVP'? You are the one (I think, not sure) that brought RVP' into the situation. Not me. If I brought up RVP - then accept my apology.

Now if I am wrong - please by all means tell me I am off base.

9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    But if we get Berbatov, it means he had no options, which would be bad.
    I mean, he would have no decent options.
    I mean, he might have options like Tottenham and West Ham, but not the bestest teams like Porto and Benfica.
    I mean, he might have options from the bestest teams too, but they would not be offering outrageous offerings that MLS can't afford to offer.
    Either that, or he does not like Benfica.
    But either way, it would be bad.

HailtotheKing and CCSUltra repped this.
  10. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Berbatov has already been dismissed (not by me - he was my idea). He was dismissed I am paraphrasing Berbatov was an over 30 big dollar EURO star. Those are not my words.

As I said earlier, I am disappointed by the lack of suggestions.[/quote]

11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Make fun of Porto and Benfica? Let's see, Tottenham and West Ham - were they in the Champions League last year?
    Don't remember seeing them.
    Porto and Benfica were there![/quote]

12. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    i think the most important thing is options.
    if a player is a star and over 30, you have to look at options.
    if he doesn't want to come to MLS, it means that he has options, and therefore MLS should get him.
    but if he decides to come to MLS, it means that he has no options, and therefore MLS shouldn't get him.
    Unless his agent says that he had options on the internet. In which case the player may be good, but only as long as that option is Benfica. The player should not say that himself, however, because that would mean he's a liar.

And then he has to get his MLS team to the World Club championship by himself, because otherwise he wasn't good. Which means his agent probably lied about his options all along, and MLS fked up.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  13. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Just me. You might be taken to task.[/quote]

14. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    why are you arguing with me, I'm agreeing with your position 100%.

15. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, Chicharito is beloved in Mexico for going to Man United and being successful, if he went to MLS and skipped Europe he would not be as beloved. It would be like Dempsey deciding to leave the US but instead of going to England he went to Australia. If Dempsey tore up the A-League last year do you think he would be as beloved by US fans as he is now?

But lets put this in a bit of perspective, lets say YOU were a top player who was in your early 20s. You get an offer to go play at Barcelona/Real Madrid/Man United....or FC Seoul. Would you go to K-League and forget about playing in the biggest clubs in the world for the biggest trophies on the biggest stage? Now also remember you have been dreaming and training for the day you can play for those euro clubs practically since you could walk. They are going to pay you millions to live out your dream. Explain to me why you would go to Korea and you would understand why someone like Chicharito or Ozil would think about coming here in their early 20s.

16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    No, I would not skip Europe. I am not saying Chicharito should either.

Let's go under this scenario - mLS offers a contract to Chicharito before Manchester United. Negotiates a two year deal for 7-8 million per year for two years. Then MLS sells him to Europe for a profit.

17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    How much of a profit though? The idea you are proposing (buying young players from places like Brazil, not Chicharito specifically) is very similar to what Russia and Ukraine do. Neither one of those leagues have sold their players on for a profit though. Yes, some players do get sold for a profit; but the net overall transfer market is a loss for those two leagues, and has been for years. The only league that really has a buy young and sell later policy that makes a profit would be the Dutch Eredivisie, and even that is questionable because a lot (if not all) of that profit comes from selling domestic players. So far this year only one team, PSV, has spent more money than they made in the transfer market.

The simple fact is that if you are looking for a return on investment, then players like Beckham, Henry, Keane, etc. are going to be who you go after. There are very few young players that are going to get you any sort of ROI. Even Chicharito wouldn't have an ROI like Beckham or Henry in MLS. Just because people buy his jersey now because he is at ManU doesn't mean that they are going to go crazy for his Chicago Fire jersey. In order for him to be worth it you would need a big profit on his transfer, and you aren't going to see it. Trust me, I would like to see more teams invest in young talent, and they have been. Thing is that you are not going to see it from places like Brazil, Argentina, or Mexico because it just doesn't make sense financially.

18. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your first sentence explains exactly the problem. If YOU wouldn't come here, why would Chicharito?

United went after him during his break out year, you are talking about when the guy was just a prospect scoring 4 league goals in a season? You think MLS should sign 20 year olds in Mexico who score 4 league goals to 7-8M a year contracts? OK so Chicharito works out but there are endless guys who don't work out. Hindsight is always 20/20. Its like suggesting MLS should have went after Messi in 2000 from Old Boys instead of signing Luis Hernandez.

So the 'next Chicharito' is probably Pulido at Tigres. Do you think we should sign him to a 7-8M (double Beckham's contract) a year contract and pay a transfer fee to a 20 year old who scored 3 league goals? Do you think he'll sell more jersey's than Beckham? How many of these prospects could MLS sign for 8M a year before we go bankrupt? Our entire league including DPs spends about 85M a year and we only have a few clubs making a profit right now. Do you still think paying transfer fees and rolling the dice on 8M a year prospects is a good idea?

19. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    Would it not have been possible for MLS to go after him during his breakout year. Or, surely he had to be on the radar with 4 goals. Somebody had to see him play sometime during the year prior and thought he had promise. Maybe - prior to his breakout year - he would have come to MLS for 150,000?

Or, if they had beat Manchester United to making him an offer - obviously somebody at MLS could tell he had talent during that year.

I am saying if MLS would have the foresight - they could have scooped Manchester United - Chicharito comes to play for a couple of years. MLS sells him at a profit.
    But, enough of Chicarito - who is MLS going to sign as a DP that will create buzz?

Obviously they should have signed Messi instead of Luis Hernandez.

Look at Albert Pujols - he begged the Royals to sign him (along with the rest of MLB) - there is a certain amount of luck too!

I want to get back to the name of the thread. What DP's are going to be signed to create a buzz? Obviously I don't know what I am talking about - so all of you more versed in what kind of player MLS is looking for shouldn't be a problem at all!

20. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Schapes I don't hate you personally but since you refuse to research shit on your own I'm kind of getting a little po'ed and plus since you haven't responded to things that I have said which is all factual based then we have a little problem. DON'T EXPECT TO THROW SHIT OUT THERE AND THEN SEE WHAT STICKS, RESEARCH WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BUT HERE IT IS FOR BECKHAM. AC Milan offered 3 million USD for Beckham but the MLS wanted 10+ (this came from The Beckham Experiment).

Man Utd are reported to want 5 million pounds for him, but he's over 30 so you think that he's crap according to your previous posts.

So just because you buy a player he automatically sells as many shirts as the highest jersey seller in 07?! You need to learn about marketing a little bit before you just start sputtering out utter crap.

Okay let me break down your argument here, 4 goals isn't anything. Why wouldn't MLS teams go after an MLS player for scoring 4 goals rather than a kid from another league scoring four goals? If I was an MLS scout I'd go after the player who has scored in my own league.

Albert Pujols for your information was drafted by the Cardinals and was raised in their farm system. He never begged the Royals to sign him wtf are you talking about? I'm assuming that you're talking about Carlos Beltran who used to play for the Royals his rookie year and the GM of the Royals wanted to dismantle the team so he traded Beltran to the Astros. See how research will help you in the long run?

21. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    here's what i don't get.
    if we are going to spend 10%+ of MLS total payroll to steal a foreign youngster from Man U in 2010...
    why are we going after Chicarito, not Bebe?
    Bebe was the one with more value, the next Drogba.
    A great get for only $10 mil. Well, maybe 20 mil including salary and bonus to go to MLS.
    If only we had the same foresight as United.

22. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the same Bebe that has only played 6 games (including the loan to Besiktas) since he was bought? The same Bebe that Sir Alex Ferguson admits he's never seen until the day he signed his contract for Manchester United? The same Bebe that got suspended by Besiktas for breaking curfew? That Bebe is a joke and isn't worth any money until he proves that he can actually play at a decent level.

23. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Nonsense. Man U does not fail. And if Man U does not fail, then MLS should copy Man U. Get some youngsters on 8 digit deals. It's a bulletproof strategy.

24. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
  25. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    So everyone on this thread has researched everything they have said. You must be having a laugh.

It was my idea to sign him (Berbatov), your fellow posters are the ones who said he was a big dollar aging Euro star.

By the way - you haven't thrown out any ideas (specific names) of people you would sign?

Had they signed him prior to Manchester United during his breakout season think of the opportunity. A player of Mexican descent - with that magnitude - with all of the people of Mexican descent in this country. I think he could have given him a run for David's money in terms of selling jerseys.