What does the MLS/USL affiliation mean for the NASL?

Discussion in 'NASL' started by Jossed, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    http://the11.ca/2013/02/05/the-easton-report-what-it-means-for-div-3-in-canada/

"That the exisiting four Div. 1 and 2 pro teams in Canada, the three MLS teams and FC Edmonton of the NASL, should be encouraged to have their reserve/developmental squads play in a new Canadian Div. 3 set-up. This offers the biggest thorn for MLS, which just struck a deal with USL Pro to develop affiliated reserve clubs."

"Make no mistake, the CSA’s decision to protect a national Div. 3 vision, while at the same time endorsing a report which backs away from a national Div. 2 strategy, represents a major, major win for NASL over USL."

WhiteStar Warriors and ceezmad repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if NASL can just get the USSF to allow more Canadian teams in D2 that would be a great thing for NASL. There are a few markets in Canada that are too small for MLS but would be perfect for NASL.

Obviously they would need ownership groups willing to invest.

3. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    USL-Pro teams are recruiting kids younger than college age, 15 or 16, though I think the youngest to sign has been 18 as far as I know. USL-Pro is a professional league, but the tryout process will not exclude a player from NCAA soccer, and playing for a USL-Pro team won't necessarily either. My understanding is that if college players do play for a USL team, of any level, there are different rules about them getting paid - amounting to reimbursements which have been expanded very recently.

From the Black and Red United website:
    "Durbin sounded confident that academy players who appear for USL Pro sides alongside professional players will not be putting their NCAA eligibility into jeopardy. That is currently the case with MLS Reserve League matches, which can feature up to five academy players per side. The NCAA, of course, only allows amateurs to play and has recently treated as eligible those players who have played with professionals without having been paid themselves. As with everything else in this new deal, the participation of unsigned academy players will depend on the contours of each individual affiliate agreement between an MLS club and a USL Pro side."

http://www.blackandredunited.com/yo...ro-integration-expansion-todd-durbin-tim-holt

Things like this new NCAA rule: "12-4, which will permit individuals to receive actual and necessary competition-related expenses from outside sponsors, so long as the person is not an agent, booster or representative of a professional sports organization" can make a difference in whether an amateur plays for a USL-Pro team or even a MLS team.

As for salaries, I have heard that some players leave MLS to play in a USL league or NASL to get more money. That is, if they are considered a low-level player in MLS, they might be paid more as a marquee player for one of the larger better-funded NASL or USL-Pro teams. The USL-Pro teams are certainly casting a wide net to Europe and beyond, despite limits on the number of foreign players.

4. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I think the report leaves no option but to have NASL as Division 2 in Canada, especially given that there's a Canadian team there already and one coming in 2014. It would make sense for the CSA to work out a deal with the USSF to change the 75% rule. Bob Young in Hamilton has been on record in the past saying he's interested in NASL but there's no space for more teams outside the USA. With the new stadium opening there in July 2014 they could be ripe for Fall 2014 (if they're still letting teams do that) or for 2015. I wonder if there were any potential investors in Calgary, Quebec City and Winnipeg that were looking at the results of the report before looking at a team.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  5. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    That was true a number of years ago. Especially in the old A-League where you had MLS quality players on teams like Rochester. But it not true today as MLS salaries have increased, the bottom talent has gotten better, and the better D2 clubs are part of the league.

If a player is in the USL-Pro or NASL, it is because that is where he belongs at this time.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure but that is like saying MLS players are in MLS because that is where they belong at this time (exept DPs).

The real number NASL is competing against is 42-45K that is the minimum salary in MLS.

If a player is in his early 20's and is offered 45K in MLS and 45K in NASL then he will go to MLS easy, but if it is a 30+ year old player he may make a different choice (if he wants more PT).

So 45K is the number NASL is chasing IMO, can they keep up with that? that is the question/problem.

NASL average salary was talked about 2,500 to 3,500, that is about 21K average (according to a Railhawks president).

How many of those 50-60K type players can NASL afford to sign? Those are your Pablo Campos type older than may be out of favor in MLS because they wanted younger players.

But even that 11 players at 60K is 660K in salaries just for starting 11, I doubt that most NASL can afford to have wages much higher than 500K.

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you're missing the point. The Cosmos are here to save the day and start a revolution. Soon every NASL team will be out spending MLS and making a profit. The stadiums will be packed and tv will prefer to air NASL over MLS. :rolleyes::p:ROFLMAO:

8. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Oh what a beautiful future that would be!;)

ceezmad repped this.
  9. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Do you know a major reason some old A-League teams(very few though) could afford to offer more to their stars than the MLS minimum wage? Many of those players also played indoor during the off-season. The old NPSL which then became the second MISL provided additional wages. A player like Doug Miller could make a lot more playing both indoor and outdoor than he could sitting on a MLS bench back in the late 90s and early 00s.

That is much less of an option these days. Although we do see it with USL-Pro players still playing indoor.

I think the fact that he stunk in MLS is the major reason Campos never got a shot back. Certainly more than his age. If MLS teams felt he could remotely do what in MLS what he does in NASL, he'd have a job. In baseball, these guys are called AAAA players.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, he is to NASL what say Buddle is to MLS, same with the guy from Malta (I forget his name) he is probably just as good as say Salgado, but Salgado is younger so if Vancouver is going to cut a guy they will cut the old guy in favor of the young guy with potential, so the old guy goes to play in the NASL.

Those guys are the guys NASL can get, not the dilution of getting say Adu or something.

I do hear NY signed a midfielder from Spain (under 30) dude must be doing rehab or something.

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Oh, I thought you said he is going to rehab. Thought the Cosmos had some sort of cross-promotion with Dr. Drew.

12. jp917

jp917 Member

Feb 17, 2011
    nyc
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    He's 20 years old, this makes him sound old

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a trend in USL? First it was Orlando, then it was VSI Tampa, now it's Sacramento's turn:

http://sacramentopress.com/headline..._Sacramento_says_owner_of_new_pro_soccer_team

hear the latest announcement from Sacramento Professional Soccer, USL-Pro league franchise that is starting in Sacramento in 2014, with ambitions of one day joining Major League Soccer.

The eventual goal is to get into Major League Soccer...

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well it is the hope for all/most new teams 9fans), Indy and Cosmos included.

But never mind.

15. Scorpions Unofficial Army

Mar 14, 2013
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still like the fact that we got 4 or 5 good solid players from Eastern Europe this off season. Luca Vucko is a big big dude at CB. He's probably about 6'6" and 230ish. There aren't a bunch of balls that get in to the middle that he doesn't get his head on....

I'm guessing we picked these guys up because their squads in Croatia or where ever were in trouble, and MLS didn't want anything to do with them, and they thought if they go D2 in the US for a season maybe someone will give them a chance? That's all I can think.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did posting this exact same thing in three places help you, or the community, or the discussion?

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's not a farm league, sure does sound like it..

I think it’s a cool even to be hosting sometime similar to a triple-a model for soccer as we move toward this USL model.

MLS and USL partnered up to have this vision of working toward a relationship very similar to what baseball teams have, where you have your Major League team like the Mariners and then you have like the Rainiers, your Triple-A affiliate. …
    Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/socc...-tacoma-into-soccer-city-south/#storylink=cpy

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you considered maybe tweeting about it? Perhaps that will have the desired effect.

Perhaps if you wrote a book or something, USL would read it and say, "He's right. We are just going to fold."

19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No...just go to USLsoccer.com, scroll to bottom of page, hit About and.....

USL PRO is the strongest, best operated and most experienced North American men’s professional soccer league below MLS, both on and off the field.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I mean! You should TOTALLY send them a letter or a fax and let them know how wrong they are. I am sure the problem is that you just haven't made it clear to them.

You should post more, because that will get American soccer to look like the EPL, like you want.

21. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    The MLS and NASL will be rival leagues even with the NASL being the minor league at the moment but I think in the future the NASL will be equal or greater than the MLS without a division 2 status. NASL could be the other top league if they become fortunate. I am for the NASL and I can see them expanding quicker even if its riding on the coat tails of the MLS for the time being. I'm not putting down MLS but I'm not a fan of the operations and lack of participation of libertadores.
    I hope NASL expands into the Latin markets for rivalries, marketing, transfers and competition.

22. ajbirch07

ajbirch07 Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except under FIFA's rule you can only have one top division.....

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could not possibly be more wrong.

Antique repped this.
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can it possibly be good for soccer in North America to have the 2nd division gunning for the 1st division? Sure if it was like it is in Europe, going up and down are fine. But here, its just plain cannibalism. Besides, as the others have already alluded to, the NASL will kill itself if it tries to rival MLS. Ugh.

Antique and Bluesfan repped this.
  25. axxess mundi

axxess mundi Member

Feb 4, 2013
    It could possibly merge depending on growth. Look at the NFL, MLB and NBA, they all merged with minor leagues and look at them now.