What do scouts look for in a player

Discussion in 'Player' started by Roite, Jun 16, 2004.

1. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I don't think anyone here understands what you're referring to. What separates professionals from semi-pro/amateurs is their speed of thought, and actual speed on the pitch. A good amateur's technique is pretty much the same as a pros. Tons of amateurs can do Zatlan's or CRonaldo's dribbles and stepovers in a Sunday league, but very, very few people can do them sprinting at top speed, and even fewer can do them against Serie A/EPL level defenders.

I would also add professional match fitness to the list, which most non-pros don't have.

2. footballmad234

footballmad234 New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    im referring to exactly what you said but in different context if you read what i said. pro clubs want big players and very fast what they haven't got is teqnique ability for example watford, thats why watford will always be a club will go no further than the championship cause they have no players with born actual football ability, ( their just fast and thats all they got)

3. hooligan girl 23

hooligan girl 23 New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    ball-tee-moore
    really? i love my classic pumas. but when people have that NEON LIME crap on their feet, i go after them especially because their feet annoy the heck out of me.:)

4. broomtree

broomtree New Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    and you ain't a scout are you

5. Djtron75

Djtron75 New Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Two days ago my high school varsity team and I were in our district playoff final. The other team had a kid named Casey Townsend, who is on the U18 National team and was Mr. Soccer his junior year. All he had was speed and pretty good control. He didn't even talk too much (beside complain to the ref about everything) during the game. But he was insanely fast.

I think this is more evidence that scouts look for speed.

6. Lurko

Lurko Member

Aug 31, 1999
    DC area
    I'm not a scout, but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

What scouts look for is good hair. And cute knees. And bribes.

7. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    It probably depends on the country. In the US and England speed definately is first. A high work ethic may come in as a close second. In a country like Italy they may look more at technique and vision.

8. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    There are lots of types of "speed." High tactical speed requires excellent skill and vision, as well as fast decision making. In soccer effectiveness is more important than the ability to sprint 100 yards very fast in a straight line. First step quickness is more important than the next 99 yards. As for fitness, speed in the first minute of the game doesn't mean as much as speed lasting 90 minutes. Same for work ethnic, speed unused is no better than no speed. So that is why you can say it all boils down to speed, speed, speed. Its just an oversimplification.

9. soccerman20

soccerman20 New Member

Feb 16, 2008
    where do the scouts go to pick up players do you hace to play college or can you be part of a club team at that university what are the statistics on that

10. Italia56

Italia56 Member

Aug 10, 2007
    r 3rd and 4th division teams in Europe(coca cola championship, Serie c2/d) considered pro or semi pro
    and do u need to be good to make one of those teams?

11. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Up to Serie C2 your considered professionista....serie D no..i guess you can say semi pro? And I don't know about England but im guessing Coca Cola league is still considered pro, even maybe a division down from that as well.

And of course you have to be good lol.

i was offered a contract with a serie D youth team, but i decided not to stay. It wasn't worth it. Im gonna try for a better, or maybe a scholarship in the states.

12. Italia56

Italia56 Member

Aug 10, 2007
    i know u need to be good but do u need to be outstanding like were u the best on all of ur teams?

and y didnt u not stay

13. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
  14. mirha494

mirha494 New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Sweden
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The answer on this question is that you have to really play well and be better than your teammates. if you are just an average soccer player then becoming professional will be a hard thing.

15. crossy

crossy New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    honestly you guys talking about flashy boots are talking out of your ass because i have been at two academys now (plymouth argyle and exeter city) and you are only aloud to wear black boots:mad::mad::mad:

16. daharryone

daharryone New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Played with a couple of players that were on the US junior national team in high school. One played for our high school team, he had good ball control and he was FAST FAST FAST.

How fast? He was a little faster dribbling the ball than I was without and I was sprinting. I'm not slow, I captained our track team as a sprinter and did compete in state. That's how fast he was.

17. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Does Serie D pay, and does Serie C2 pay enough so that you don´t need a second job:confused:

18. snolly g

snolly g Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    i think it depends on where you live/play.

if you live in the u.s., they look for attractive (semi-metrosexual) players with names like trevor, lance, brandon, etc. if you're not one of the above, then you have to be really, really good.

if you live in europe, it's different. they really do look for talent. they don't care how you look. you can be fugly like ribery or gattuso, but if you're good, they'll give you a chance.

19. guyioptre

guyioptre New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    firstly i would like to say that young aspiring players should not be tooo worried about being scouted at an early age as theyere will be plenty of chances as you get older.look at IAn WRIGHT who was spotted in his 20s playing sunday league

to be honest it is unlikely to be scouted unless you fit certain criteria.
    certain aspects of your game must also be up to scratch.it can also help to be well prepared on the day of a trial. here are some tips to help be scouted: 1 arrive on time 2 dress smartly and cleanly, you would be amazed what scouts look for. 3 have clean boots 4 make sure nothing distracts you during your trial e.g shingaurds stay in place, laces are tied properly.

as for the actual football side of it play smartly,play to your strenghts for example : dont try things you dont usually do e.g trying to hit a 40 yard pass when passings not one of your strong points.KEEP TALKING AND COMMUNICATING WITH YOUR TEAMMATES.this is cruical and is somthing all scouts look for.Play IT SIMPLE , get stuck in in your tackles and if nessecary foul some one to show you have a bit of bottle.ENCOURAGE PEOPLE IF THEy MAke A MISTAKE, and dont let your head go down if you make one

show you have a good touch-this is crucial. speed obviously helps both phisically and mentally, make smart decissions, be strong on the ball and try not to lose possesion.

HOWEVER BE WILLING TO TAKE CHANCES. take a shot,try to go past some one as THIS MAY BE YOUR ONLY OPPORTUNITY TO GO PRO

yours kieran

20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A player spends relatively few minutes during a match with the ball so all scouts will be looking to see what a player does without the ball. Is he supporting, tracking back, getting forward, communicating, making himself available for the ball, shaping his body properly to defend or receive, etc., etc. Barcelona scouts will look for the same thing.

21. Kevin8833

Kevin8833 Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Estero, FL
    I realize this but without enough technical ability none of that matters.

22. Natsoccer

Natsoccer Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Valencia, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard Work.
    Besides having the skill, you have to show you really want it. Nobody wants a player with all the talent in the world who never shows it.

23. jasoncronkhite

jasoncronkhite New Member

Sep 22, 2008
  24. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1) talent