What can we expect from FIFA WC 2006

Discussion in 'Games' started by CCSC_STRIKER20, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for typing that out. You're obviously a WE or PE player and I see where you are coming from. I'm planning on getting the game after the WC for cheap.

2. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    hahaha..yeah i guess i'm more used to the elaborate kind of game:p

3. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops. I meant to write, I'm a WE player so I would tend to agree. However, just having all the official stuff on a relatively cheap game is always worth checking out.

4. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    3 - Blue turf; if I wanted that, I'd watch the blue football field for each year's Humanitarian Bowl in Idaho. :mad:

There is a turf pack (Frenkie in the soccergaming.tv forums has one, but I don't have a clue as to how to BigGui and FATDB it, replacing the butt-ugly turf that's in there now. I have BigGui, but when I try to import the turg stuff in Frenkie's files, it doesn't do anything.

Help...

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    PC game stuff.

3 - Blue turf; if I wanted that, I'd watch the blue football field for each year's Humanitarian Bowl in Idaho. :mad:

There is a turf pack (Frenkie in the soccergaming.tv forums has one, but I don't have a clue as to how to BigGui and FATDB it, replacing the butt-ugly turf that's in there now. I have BigGui, but when I try to import the turg stuff in Frenkie's files, it doesn't do anything.

Help...

6. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    blue turf? wow and i thought the ugly texture from the 360 version was bad

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    So for those who have it, was it worth it?

8. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes, it's well worth $30. The CPU is tougher than in FIFA 06, so there's always a challenge.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    My roommate and I got this game over the weekend and finally got into it yesterday. We always play on the same team, and the qualification process gives us a longer stretch to play over than just a single tournament, which is good.

Someone mentioned the computer not being able to play defense, this is very true. It's pretty easy to make a run through the defense and have a through ball sent to you, especially if you have a speed advantage. We have scored a ton of goals doing this, but against Mexico it didn't work as well so we'll see once we get to the WC.

Someone already mentioned the AWAY team having a ton of support at games. We noticed this as well. We were the US and at a home game we would score and the fans would not be loud at all, but we're in Mexico of all places and when we scored the place went nuts. Doesn't make sense.

I'm a WE guy, but I still enjoy the FIFA series for what they are. It's just a different type of game, less strategy and more action. I think I'll enjoy this game though, especially with the WC this summer.

10. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the game, the computer struggles with ticky-tack passes inside the 18 that go across the face of the goal - but all in all I like this game. There are more variations of play, more formations and the radomizing the group thing is great - but I like that it defaults to the actual groups.

11. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I keep hearing this about FIFA but the same is usually true in the WE games as well. it's quite easy to score in them using through balls as well.

hey, you might even go so far as to say even real life soccer has this problem, that the defense will mess up allowing a scoring opportunity. EVERY goal in EVERY soccer game in real life or virtual is based on a defensive mistake.

and maybe the reason you win online all the time is because you are good. the other people you are playing against are playing a game with all the same weaknesses as you are, but you're still beating them 5 times in a row. i think that says more about your skill as a player than the game.

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Nah, the difference though with FIFA 06 and WE 9 is the defense atleast tries to play you offsides, or tries to cut out the pass, and more often then not, they do cut the pass out. In Fifa, the defenders would just stand there, and wouldnt even get moving until the attacker had atleast three steps on you.

Then the way the ball moved accross the grass when passing was so artificial. It would move all static, and just didnt look realitic. When I first got fifa 06 i loved it until the flaws started exposing themselves one by one. The shooting looked kind of too fake to me. You would pit so much power into the ball, and I expected a rocket, but the ball moved as fast as a daisy cutting pass.

I hope this fifa has cleared some of those errors.

13. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Yes, WE has some problem with the through passes when sent to the wings, mostly because your defender won't cover the player's outside concentrating on the inside, with a lil practice and after facing most of the top players online doing that same play over and over again i finally learned to stop it.

The thing with fifa is that you can't do nothing about except hope you can catch up to him or that the goalie stops it. One defender always stays behind for some reason while the rest rush to attempt the offside play, leaving the attacker not only beating the offline line but alsot wide open to score.

I've been playing soccer games for who knows how long, and i played more than just FIFA's and WE, i have also played in real life since i was six so i know how a game should be played. You could say so much practice makes someone a good player but WE i started 3-2 when i first got online.

I could get into details again as of why i don't like FIFA games anymore but my main complain(more than a complain, something that i think describes FIFA games) it's how easy and shallow the gameplay is, it feels arcadey most of the time even if i don't compare it side to side with WE.

14. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    well sadly the ball movement looks even more unrealistic, passes, long balls, they look like the are on rails and like the players have magnets on their feet.

The shooting i think it's improved from the "i know which shot will go in" from Fifa 06, but not a big improvement, i still get the "if i'm aiming to the left why is the ball going to the right" thing sometimes

15. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I am doing a campaign as Mali and almost all of my goals have come from crosses or breakaways. I have had a few times where I stole the ball from the defense and then scored, but other than that I haven't been able to create a "real goal".

What I mean is that once I get the ball, and I'm attacking. If I don't send Bagayoko on a breakaway down the middle at midfield or get it to the wings to cross in, I'm 98% sure that I'm going to end up getting the ball stolen from me. It's pretty much impossible to beat defenders on the dribble, which makes any other type of attacks other than crosses/breakaways impossible to do which, for me, takes fun out of the game. I love playing Winning Eleven as Cote d'Ivoire and coming up with all these creative ways to score goals with Drogba, Dindane, Kalou, etc up front. I can't do any of that in FIFA.

For my Mali campaign I did a random draw for groups and got stuck with Senegal and Ghana, as well as Congo, Gabon, and Burkina Faso. My results were:

Gabon 0 - 0 Mali
    Congo 1 - 1 Mali
    Mali 2 - 0 Senegal
    Ghana 2 - 2 Mali
    Mali 2 - 0 Burkina Faso
    Mali 1 - 1 Ghana
    Burkina Faso 1 - 3 Mali
    Mali 3 - 0 Gabon
    Mali 3 - 3 Congo
    Senegal 3 - 4 Mali

I qualified for the World Cup 4 points above Senegal.

The last two games were intense, since I could have practically clinched qualification if I had beaten Congo and then I had to at least draw Senegal to qualify, so the CPU put up a fight. But the other games, aside from the 2-2 with Ghana they were all fairly easy. The CPU always won possession with like 60-70% (I NEVER got more than 45% possession in ANY game I played) but I always outshot my opponents and held them to as few shots as possible. Only Ghana and Senegal really had a lot of shots (Congo only had 8 but somehow scored on 3 of them).

Another thing I noticed is that the CPU *NEVER* fouls you. It's so stupid. I had some games where I never got any free kicks, and my average was probably 1 per game. This was especially frustrating because a lot of times I would get pushed off the ball when trying to be creative in my attack and would never get a call. In WE the CPU usually averages at least 5-6 fouls per game, I've even had some games where I was fouled 12-13 times by the CPU. My highest amount in the entire campaign was 4, which didn't come until the end when I played Senegal in the final game. And in that game two players got yellow cards and one was sent off. So 75% of the fouls were cards. That was pretty much how it was for the whole time. Either it was a card to the CPU or no foul. Apparently EA doesn't believe in normal fouls, since there were maybe 2 called on the CPU the entire campaign.

One final thing that annoyed me was that you can't have a 15 minute half. It's (some smaller units of time like 2, 4, and 8), 10 minutes, and then 45 minutes. Again, it's one extreme or the other (like the cards), with no inbetween. I like to play on 15 minute halves in WE because 10 is a little too short for me, but anything more than 15 is way too long. Well, in FIFA 10 is the most you can go, because 45 minutes is WAY too long to play this game for, and that's just one half!

I wondered how it was possible to have 45 minute halves (I don't think WE even has that) since in a 10 minute half game you normally see a good number of shots and a decent number of goals. So I set up a game between the CPU with two fairly even teams and let them duke it out. After only 25 minutes there had already been 5 goals scored... I shut it off at that point since I had to leave, but that's ridiculous. I can only imagine the final score if the game had played out completely. What was the point of putting in such a ridiculous length for a half? Why not put in realistic lengths that people will actually use, such as 15 or 20 minute halves?

Oh, that wasn't the final thing. This is. I mentioned I qualified for the World Cup. Ok so I did the random (seeded) draw and was drawn with Brazil, South Korea, and Ireland. Prior to the World Cup they have you "select your squad", which you should be able to. They have the players in 4 groups. Starting lineup, Subs, Reserves, and not on the team (no name for this group). Well, during the campaign you are only allowed to have a handful of subs, and whenever you move a player from subs to "off the team" then the player is listed alphabetically and by position at the bottom, with the order descending from keeper to defense to midfield to forward.

Apparently EA didn't bother to take this sort feature out for the World Cup squad, because it treats "reserves" and "not on team" the same as it does earlier in the campaign. So basically you cannot select any midfielders or forwards as reserves, since whenever you take them off the starting lineup or subs bench it sorts them by position and alphabetically. So I had to empty my subs bench of defenders and load that with forwards/midfielders and then had to take the top half of the alphabetically listed defenders for my squad, since there was no way not to. Now I ended up with these 2 defenders whose names start with "C" that I don't want on my squad and neither of them will see a single minute in the World Cup... but had no way to take them off the squad because they are defenders and their last name comes before everyone else on the team. So I had to leave off two other players who I would have actually used because of this stupid flaw that would have taken about 5 minutes, tops, to fix.

I honestly don't understand how EA functions as a company sometimes when they have such poor programming glares in their games.

16. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for typing this out. EA survives due to it's unbelievable marketing. Has anyone else figured out a fix for his/her problem?

17. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Like I said, I have the turf pack and BigGui, but don't have a clue as to how to even begin to change the turf to its normal color. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

18. Vinotinto10

Vinotinto10 New Member

Sep 8, 2005
    Miami,FL
    There went 30 $ + taxes i'll never see again :( My opinion,This game Sucks ! the only thing i liked was the details they had in every single country for instance Venezuela,they had the right names and players that i did not even think were gonna be in the Game !! they even added players that are already retired from the NT ! but still,so many of you guys are right,the only way i've scored so far is with the through pass and shoot,most of the time it Hits the Post first and then it bounces back to my feet with the Goal Open !! how many times does that happen in real life ? lame!. Now i know i won't Ever buy another EA/Fifa game in my life ! i played for a week and a half and gave it to my little nephew :eek: I was,am and always will be a WE fan and the only thing i hope WE'd had from Fifa was the detailing in my country's Players and Uniform.

19. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    FIFA WC 06 is yet another reason why I don't pay to play EA games anymore.
    I still play them but I'm not giving them anymore of my $$$ if they are going to do a shite job.

20. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Ha, thank God some of you guys spoke out, I was actually going to rent it today. Thanks for saving me 7 bucks.

21. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here is the full list of teams available in the game

UEFA - Europe (52 teams on 52 existing) :
    Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Eire, England, Estonia, Fareo Islands, Finland, France, FYR Macedonia, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Northern Ireland, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Scotland, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Wales.

CONMEBOL - South America (10 on 10) :
    Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.

CONCACAF - North America (13 on 35) :
    Canada, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint-Kitts and Nevis, Saint-Vincent, Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, United States.

CAF - Afrique (32 sur 51) :
    Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cap Verde Islands, Chad, Congo, DR Congo, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Malawi, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Sudan, South Africa, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.

AFC - Asia (14 on 44) :
    Bahrain, China, Hong Kong, India, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Kuwait, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, South Korea, Uzbekistan, Vietnam.

OFC - Oceania (6 on 12) :
    Australia, Fidji, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Tahiti, Vanuatu.

22. deadhead

deadhead New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ive noticed like games like WC 2006 and Euro 2004 graphics kind of suck compared to FIFA 2005. WTF??!!!

23. MLSinHD

MLSinHD Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well guys its funny most people are knocking this game. According to IGN, they gave it a 8.4. It mentions that FIFA tried to copy a bit of WE's gameplay, saying that its hard to argue its better, but that its hard to also argue its any worse.

24. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    so you compare people's complains after playing a game to a single review?

FIFA tried copying WE's controller set up not gameplay. If that's what they tried to do with this game then they did a terrible job.

Get the game, play it, then you'll see why people have so many complains. My friend came to my house last night and he's a fifa lover, he didn't like the game and just plain hated the passing-game..

25. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah I read that IGN review which made me look into the game more. Thank God I found this thread.