What Are Your Expectations for the World Cup?

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by J-Mezzy, Oct 16, 2013.

1. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was thinking about this. Some people in Colombia are just happy to be back, others expect us to contend for the whole thing. What do you expect?

I personally expect them to win their group and make it to the quarter finals. Anything ese beyond that would be incredibly awesome. We have a very talented squad, but we also have a few holes and questions to be answered. Will we have our CB and DM rotation finally figured ou by the start of the World Cup? Will our CBs be good enough to withstand the lightning strikes of teams with speedy and strong attackers? Will we find the winning formation that works against European teams?

I won't be disappointed with a second round loss to a big team, but I really think we are ready to make a decent run at it. What do you guys think?

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I expect us to win it. You don't go into this ranked as we are with the team we have, with the players we have to go to just go. We aren't Costa Rica. That being said it depends who we get in the knock out stages. If we get to the last 16 and get Germany. Then I won't complain but we should go to win it. We are never getting this type of team again. Lets not waste our shot. Paraguay last WC would have lifted it if they had Cabanas and Uruguay made it to the semis. We are more talented then either of those teams. We just need luck and to fix our weaknesses which are CBs and CMs. We have till June to figure it out.

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  3. Denisx04

Denisx04 Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Bosnia will be entering its first world cup in history, since its our first time my expectations are not as high but we are considered a threat with players like Dzeko, Pjanic and Ibisevic. Out attacking style is so attractive that its been recognized all over the world, while I expect the best I will def not be mad if we get eliminated fast because we made it. We freaking made it.

4. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think our next world cup team will be just as good. James, Quintero, Balanta, Arias, and Muriel will be in their primes. Cuadrado should still be in his prime and we should have better CBs. I would be surprised if we have a drop off from this WC to the next.

5. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah I was happy to see Bosnia make it. It is always nice to see new teams make it rather than the same old. Best of lucks to you guys and hopefully our paths won't corss.

6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i'm with crazy - it just depends who we get in the knockout rounds - the only teams that are hands down better than us are spain and germany - we would need to play mistake-free to pull off a win.

everyone else - we can beat straight up...(although Italy with Andrea Pirlo is always a danger)

7. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this might be the American in me, but i expect to win it all. Some still have that lowly attitude and conform to just making it back to the WC. but i want to see Colombia accomplish more. we have enough to compete and like our chances. i firmly believe the players and coaching staff will better prepare the team from now till Brazil.

8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Exactly only team better is Germany. We have a a huge chance of never even playing them.

Spain did badly against Chile and every other South American team they play'd so not so scared of them. Italy also worries me in knock out because of their playing style and experience.

We aren't going to play any of the 7 best teams until the 2nd round. That is helpful. It depends on luck but this team has balls and a never die attitude that has been missing for a long time

9. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Brazil Will also be dangerous Playing at home

10. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think the key to a champion is having humility. Considering Germany is the only threat is no way of being humble. It's also good to recognize your competition and not underestimate rivals. I think that was one of the key figures on why we lost to Romania in 1994, (along with our political and social problems in the Colombian world, plus the threat of the players didn't help.)

Although coming in as a cocky team didn't really help our team much after 1994. Look at 1998, it wasn't great either.

Point is, too much high expectations=bad thing
    too low expectation=bad thing.

There is always going to be a balance. This is also not just philosphy in soccer/futbol, but a philosphy in many other categories.

Back to the topic,

I'm expecting to win the world cup as well. However there is a minimum standard of expectations, and we need to pass the round of 16. Simple, there is no excuse for a mediocre group stage performance. Sorry to say this guys but the format 16 years was alot different than today's format. There is no 3rd place qualifying to the next round.

11. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree, but aspiring to win it all in no way insinuates the team or its fans disrespects or underestimates the competition. theres nothing wrong with having a positive and optimistic approach to the world cup. if anything, it shows the amount of confidence i have (or the fans that feel the same) for our NT. It has nothing to do with setting expectations too high.

that mentality has to change in the Colombian psyche. it already started from Pek and his fellow Argie staff. they changed that attitude of "well, leta see what we can do.." to "lets go out every game and win it...never say die". i applaud our players for buying into he system. all great nations, and soccer nations think that way, regardless if ppl think youre being arrogant or whatnot.

12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany, and Belgium have better odds than us. Their squads are just deeper. I love our team, but we have to resolve our CB and DM situation before saying our squad is better than everyone else.

We have to be humble, yes and not be afraid, but be humble to.

13. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on paper they look deeper anyway. but we all know as well that anything can happen in the WC. some teams make it to the finals with a stroke of luck, or others simply are in better form. other teams are not as talented but have excellent chemistry. its good to be humble yes, but it also becomes a problem when youre too humble and give other teams too much respect.

14. Alonso#13

Alonso#13 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    New York City
    Anything less than the knock out phase will be anti-climactic, our team has so much potential and has set records in order to get to the world cup ESPECIALLY AFTER 16 YEARS!!! It would be a shame to go home without getting past the first round...Once you are in the knock out phase its sort of a roulette, If Colombia can stay focused and disciplined- especially on defense then there is no reason why we cannot be serious contenders for the cup.

futbol in Miami repped this.
  15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Brazil today will not be the same team we faced in New Jersey at the end of 2012...good point

16. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Believe me I agree and I am in no way advocating to conform to a certain mentally.

However I am mostly referring to the comment that " Germany is our only threat." In my honest opinion all 32 nations are threat, so taking any team lightly is disrespectful. Downright to the Iran and Australians NTs respectively.

17. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah ok. yea well i wont go that far. crzds idea...

18. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    HOLA ...... YO SOY PELE Y DIGO QUE COLOMBIA NO VA A GANAR EL MUNDIAL :p

19. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ojala Pele escoja a Brazil :)

20. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Belgium better and deeper, tough to tell. They didnt even make the 2012 Eurocup and havent been in the WC for a while. Their WCQ group was rather accessible. Too, too similar to Colombia in many aspects.

Brazil, Spain and Germany the clear 3 favs.

One notch down I would place Arg (only with Messi around) and Italy - WC experience

then biting at their heels, Belgium, Colombia, Sweden (they are a very prolific team), Chile, France, Ghana, England, and Holland
    I would group the following tier together:
    Japan, Korea, USA, Ecuador, *Uruguay (if they make it in), Croatia, Russia, Bosnia, Switzerland

I still see the CONCACAF and CAF regions as the overall weakest.

21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Belgium is a more complete team. Position for position, they are deeper. Their CBs and DMs are much better and their attacking midfield is just as good. Our only clear advantage is Falcao.

Their only weakness is their youth, so I think we could beat them if we face them. Can't wait to play them next month

22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I guess we'll just have to wait next month and see ;) I for one think we match up perfectly. We are a complete team. Look at our stats. Look at our finish in CONMEBOL.

23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If we get our CB situation and Valencia back, yes, we are a complete team. For now, they have Berthogen, Kompany, Dambele. Fellani vs Yepes, Perea, Abel, and Sanchez. Our guys don't suck, but their guys are clearly better.

I really believe we are close to being elite. Real close. Find a solution for CB, get our DM line up settled, and get the right combination on the attack 4-4-2 vs 4-2-3-1 and we are set.

I have faith that Pekerman will figure all this out in the friendlies.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Well, Pekerman's "solution" only got us 13 Goals against VERSUS some of the best offenses on the PLANET: Uruguay, Arg and Chile alone scored 89 GOALS! We have arguably the best #9 in the planet. I get what you mean but Yepes at 27 was also one of the best in the world. It's not apples to apples. We have not an aging CB issue, they are for futbol standards, already 'old'. Abel on his best days is a great MF. Sanchez will get better by playing in Spain. They are at this point no better, no worse. Again, next friendly will be interesting :)

25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I see your point, but I think our goals allowed stats were a bit misguiding. That had a lot to do with
    a) Ospina saving our asses again and again
    b) Colombia being on great form for the entire 2012 year
    c) Colombia dominating possession through most games and hiding our defense a bit.

I think the defense that you saw on the last 3 games is closer to our reality. I am hoping Balanta can come in a provide an answer for us there and I still hope that we tweak our midfield a bit. I know you guys disagree, but I think the formatio change that I want would give us the best chance to win against European teams. Obviously, Pekerman knows what he is doing but our midfield has really not looked good recently. Maybe it was an issue of form, or maybe we do need a few tweaks. We will see. All I know is that the way we played the last few games were not very convincing when you think of the teams we could face in the WC.