What 24 U.S. players will the USSF pay for in the new league?

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Nov 24, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't figure how to link to a specific post in BS, but in the "Lindsey Horan signs with PSG" thread, there is this post from guignol:

It's post #118.
    She's making good money, but the "six figures" appears to be a total contract number as is the American tradition.

Katreus repped this.
  2. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Last relay report aboiut it had that it was a 3.yers deal for for 120k Euros, so 40k Euro/year which is about 60k $/year. And that is much more in line with was other good players are paid in Europe (apart from the top handfull, and some of the Russian deals).

Katreus repped this.
  3. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh okay. Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification, BostonRed and JanBalk!

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I must agree, I think it's crazy these NT players are questioning how "professional" the league is going to be.

Is it about pay? It shouldn't be, USSF is covering them, not to mention the sponsorships the top players (which seem to be the only ones really questioning the league) will be getting.
    Is it about how the teams are run? It shouldn't be that either; whatever perceived blunders WPS had as a whole, the individual teams (save maybe magicJack) always comported themselves professionally, both on-field and in the community (even Atlanta, though it payed peanuts).
    Is it fear that the league will be gone quickly? Then answer me these: do you honestly expect to stay with the same team for more than two years anywhere else in the world? Why is longevity an issue if you're getting paid and getting good competition? And if you "want" the league to do well, why the hell are you speaking out against it??

Leroux is in. Hints are Kreiger is in. Rapinoe sounded like she was in. Wambach, Morgan, and Solo should be too.
    That said, does the league need all of them? Definitely not. If Solo wants to go pout with the Sounders, the league would be fine without her. But if none of the top stars are in, then the "new" teams will likely be in much deeper trouble. The teams with history will be fine, as they have been whether they were playing in WPS or not. (Heck, why don't the NTers commit to one of those teams if they're so worried about professionalism or longevity??)

[/rant]

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds to me like Solo won the fight, but the husband won the argument. (So Florida).

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not I agree, if Solo or Morgan can get more money or if they want to experience soccer in Europe I would not blame them.

Now I doubt this will happen.

1. USSF could say that if they want to be part of the National team pool (get paid by the USSF) then they need to play in the NWSL.

2. I imagine Solo and Morgan can make more sponsor money here in the USA than they would playing in Europe.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ceezmad, I understand your point. And in normal circumstances that would be fine.
    But this isn't a normal circumstance. Not now. This is about getting a foothold, growing the league for the future.

Some day, maybe not next year or the year after, or 5 years from now, but some day, the professional women playing soccer can proudly chose between playing in Europe or the US and have teams fighting to throw money at them.
    But NOW, there is something MORE important and that is the GROWTH of the pro league and game in the US.
    And without the most popular and visible players, it will be tougher and slower.

I'm sure Hope Solo and Alex Morgan aren't scrapping for cash. Their USWNT salary + endorsements, I'm sure provide them a nice living.

Arnim Whisler doesn't have to lose money ever year funding the Chicago Red Stars. He could easily save his money and take his family on a couple nice vacations, but the guy has a passion for the game of soccer and he is trying to keep the brand of Chicago Red Stars going as well as grow the women's game in the US.

My point is that there are people (owners) that are spending their hard earned money, fans willing to spend their hard earned money to see a women's pro league succeed in American and IMO, I believe the players should be invested as well.

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The expired or soon to expire WNT contract had the clause that players had to play in a domestic league. (Krieger was the exception, for whatever reason). Will the players agree to a similar clause with the new contract? Sunil seemed to imply not all 24 players paid may play in the new league but he may have been thinking cases like Krieger or Press.

I have to agree with that.

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trouble with the Solo and Morgan comments is that the average casual fan/parent reads them, they ask to themselves "is this league real?, is it pro or just semi-pro ?, will there be amateurs playing ?, who are running the teams and are they operating hand to mouth or shoestring operations? Will the big names play? If the players are not buying into this, why should I when my daughter asks about buying tickers or the her club coach brings up the idea of the team going to a game?".
    The response by the parent to themselves and others may be "lets see if this gets off the ground first before spending money", which could cause a team to be still born.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again, it is my belief that at this time it shouldn't be about the money for the players. There will be a day when it will be about the money and on that day we will say women's pro soccer has made it.

But for now it's about playing and sustainability and keep trying.

Otherwise let's just have the USWNT do tours around the country twice a year and that's it.

11. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They own homes in both Florida and Seattle.

12. IMAL11

IMAL11 New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It should be stated that the entire national team is currently is in contract negotiations since their current one expires at the end of this year. Add to this that some of these players will receive a league salary on top of the national team salary and it compounds a messy situation when it comes to money. I'm willing to bet that some of the hang ups about the new league come down to these negotiations. And that's why a lot of these them have not said a word. Leroux is the only one who has committed since she's a newcomer and really has no say in the process.

Beau Dure and Katreus repped this.
  13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I still see this talk as union rhetoric. Can AM and HS make more money in Europe or maybe Japan? Undoubtably. Is it a good long term decision, prolly not.

Right now decisions r being made on player compensation offers. Do u think the players have more leverage to get the best package if they say "I'm playing here no matter what" or if they seem concerned about the new league? The NWSL doesnt want to start up without two of it's most popular players and it's in the stars interest to help the USWNT. Why? Because most of their money is from endorsements and no matter how great Alex Morgan plays, a large part of that popularity comes from the team winning on the big stage. How popular was Abby Wambach before the Brazil goal? She wasnt any worse a player. Take the US out of the medal rounds at WWC and Olympics and their bancability goes way down. For better or worse their fates r linked to the success of USWNT and Im sure whoever reps them is well aware of that.

Beau Dure and Katreus repped this.
  14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Bingo. Just chatted about this with someone today.