Whack-jobs and Birth certificates

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HerthaBerwyn, Oct 25, 2008.

1. dogface

dogface Let's Just Pretend

Jun 22, 2002
    St. Peter, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's the eclipse of reason; that's why it's so frighting.

2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These people are insane.

4. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
  5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are these people trying to accomplish exactly?

What is their dream scenario?

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obama out of the White House.

7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They realize that means that Joe Biden would then take over, right?

How is that any better?

8. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, but then what? McCain as president because the Democratic ticket was invalid? A new election where Hillary would win? Or, horrors of horrors, Biden as president? I mean, are they guided by the simple philosophy of "anyone except a black man", or do they have a further agenda?

9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Do I really need to spell this out in black and white? <cough>

10. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you honestly think these people have thought that far? They have absolutely no idea what they are trying to accomplish. Same thing with the tea parties. They are completely incapable of thinking rationally.

11. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least with the tea parties, there's some kind of goal, a smaller federal government. That's a reasonable goal with an understandable outcome.

Something would get accomplished.

As opposed to this, where the goal is to replace Barack Obama with... someone he hand picked to be his partner in governing?

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really think these idiots are able to understand the concept of the presidential line of succession when they don't even realize that Hawaii is actually a US state?

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no goal of a "smaller federal government" because none of the teabaggers have the ability to define what that term means.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Roland Martin realize that one of the jobs of the President is NOT to "run the country"?

I'm not sure if he was saying that's what the woman thinks or if that was Martin's opinion.

15. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Birth certificates

Really? I recall a lot of hype about dangling chads in Florida, among other things.
    While I believe that Obama was born in Hawaii, the displayed document is not his actual birth certificate. It is a document issued by the State of Hawaii confirming the information in their records. The form itself appears to have been revised in November 2001 (noted in parentheses in the lower left corner), and you can see a date stamp from 2007 bleeding through from the other side, about one inch above the bottom, which is most likely the date the document was issued. It even states "This copy" at the bottom.
    Anyone could go to their state registry today and obtain a similar document attesting to their birth, which obviously happened years earlier.
    Or, you could type over this image, which ironically contains the same birth time: http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m35/opendna/HI_birthcert.jpg?t=1213561049

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Birth certificates

So what? I have no idea where my original birth certificate is. If I ever need a copy, I'd contact the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, where I was born, and find out the steps I'd need to follow to get such a copy.

A birth certificate doesn't have to be an original to be legitimate.

17. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the alleged "leader of the Republican party" displays traits of delusion and other mental instabilities, I'm not surprised at the prominence of these sorts of people.

Not that it'll stop any of them, but once again it took Jon Stewart to destroy Taitz, that crazy lady in the YouTube video, and most of all Lou Dobbs. A simple and mocking, "Lou, don't you watch your own ********ing show?!" took care of any possible credibility the guy had left among anyone with a shred of logical thought.

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

That is rubbish:
    The data is the same as on the long form. You can't just go in and get it drawn up with whatever data you want.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/born_in_the_usa.html

19. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Birth certificates

Exactly. If someone asked to see your original birth certificate, you would honestly answer, "I have no idea where it is, but here's a certified COPY with a raised seal issued by the state of my birth".
    You're wrong, and you're missing the point! Your own link states "the Hawaii State Department of Health has Sen. Obama’s original birth certificate on record"! What his office has is a copy. That does not mean that it is fake, forged or inaccurate! The certification on the back states "I certify this is a true copy of the record on file ...".

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which is what Obama did. The only people who believe he wasn't born in America are a bunch of lunatic conspiracy theorists.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

OK... so you honestly believe that all someone has to do to shut up these conspiracy theory nutjobs is to produce the original birth certificate upon which the short form is based even though this was not required at any point during the process of becoming a candidate?

How will this satisfy a person with a disconnect from reality? Do you really not see the parallels between their behavior and 9/11 conspiracy theorists' behaviors?

You are either being dishonest or insanely thickheaded. Not one of these people should be on TV or indulged by the press. They are as bad as or worse than honest-to-goodness creationists (those that believe creation is a scientific alternative). This is not a two-sides-to-a-story issue where one side will win by providing evidence, it's a wacky conspiracy theory with elements of racism underlying it for many of its proponents, elements of anti-communist paranoia for others (like Taitz). There is no way in which making an exception for these people is a good idea.

22. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Birth certificates

Well, I've often said, "Americans love conspiracy theories"! Remember, a significant portion of any poll will indicate belief that the federal government has secreted alien bodies.
    Perhaps Obama's campaign should have said, "Here's what we got when we wrote to Hawaii", instead of arguing that what is obviously a certified copy is an original document. Perhaps Mr. Miller of factcheck.org should have flown to Hawaii instead of Chicago (even if only for the weather) to view the original on file there.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Why? Are you suggesting there was some forgery along the way and that it's reasonable to go check the file in Hawaii?

It's not and you probably know that. The idea that any of this is feeding the conspiracy theories is naive at best, ignorant at worst.

24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Birth certificates

You attack me for posting an accurate observation? Well, phuc you!
    I don't agree with those questioning Obama's birth. If you don't agree with my observation, fine. But, to call me dishonest or insane? You're an asshole! (my honest opinion!)
    Perhaps if the media and press had not made minor celebrities of Florida election-fixing or 9/11 theorists, few would be hearing about the birthers currently.