West Ham vs. Liverpool FC - EPL - April 6 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Wingtips1, Apr 1, 2014.

1. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely you jest. Bergkamp's first and second touches with a defender bearing down on him were exquisite. To then finish the chance was sublime. I remember watching that in Harrogate and not believing what I'd seen.

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry but i can't agree. Gerrard makes passes that are certainly equal to DeBoer's, no doubt, but i'd have to see an example of what Bergkamp did with the ball from someone like Suarez or Torres to say you are correct in your assessment.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Not taking anything away from Bergkamp's goal, note that Suarez was simultaneously dealing with two opponents, not one at a time.

Wingtips1, idreamofpikas and usscouse repped this.
  4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the main difference is that Suarez has half a step on the Newcastle defender and he takes the ball on his upper body, letting the ball drop to his feet. not saying that's easy, just saying that he doesn't need to time his stride so that he can deaden the ball with his foot.

also, the goalie doesn't make Suarez's job that difficult. he overcommits and that makes the tap-in a cinch.

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be fair, so did Bergkamp have time and space (more so as partly facing the ball) to kill the ball and do the defender. Still a good skill because not many successfully do that.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Trying to defend your 43 post love fest over Bergkamp's fortunate goal by denigrating "one of many" by Suarez is embarrassing. :)
    "The goalie doesn't make it difficult???" He didn't get a chance to! Suarez's touch took him out.
    Tap in a cinch!!!....:rolleyes:

AwayKit and idreamofpikas repped this.
  7. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have no idea what you're watching, mate. the Argie goalie maintains the best possible angle, doesn't commit and makes Bergkamp curl the ball around him with the outside of his right foot. that's one. two is that the Argie goalie isn't out at the edge of the 6 yard box. he's just coming off his line as Bergkamp approaches him. he stays big, legs spread, arms up and out. the Maggies' goalie looks like he's hoping he can make the save before Suarez can control the ball, but he's way over-committed, flails around and flops on his back.

i said before that it's different skill sets. it's Bergkamp's second touch that's the dagger, plus the shot curled inside the far post. maybe Suarez could do what Bergkamp did. Bergkamp probably couldn't score the goal Suarez scored.

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast

:) :) :) :) Guess I didn't use enough smilies.

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, this is the DAgger

[​IMG]

el-capitano repped this.
  10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The goal against newcastle where he brought it down on his chest was immense and very similar.

13. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that clip was posted in #178. the differences between the B'kamp goal and the Suarez goal have been discussed already.

look. i'm not trying to take anything away from Suarez. it's un gol fabuloso. but Suarez has the last defender beaten by half a step and the goalie plays the ball completely differently from the goal that B'kamp scored, so the main similarity is the two diagonal balls. Bergkamp takes the ball with his foot and Suarez with his chest.

this has been flogged to death, but in the final analysis, both goals are stunning examples of each player doing a remarkable job.

i'm more impressed with Bergkamp's goal, but there have been many goals Suarez scored where i thought, "How is that even possible???"