Werder Bremen - General News Thread

Discussion in 'SV Werder Bremen' started by v2j20284, Aug 26, 2010.

1. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    They had team crisis meeting every two weeks and it did not help. IMHO the only ones who realized how serious the situation is, are Wiese and Schaaf. The rest of the team is dreaming of making a positive run in the second half and live in an own world, especially Allofs. Every week he says the same sh*t, that the team has quality and it is a question of time until it works. And the most shocking statement was after the Hoffenheim match that he sees a potential playmaker in Hunt. :eek: He totally lost contact to reality. :(

2. WinniWerder

WinniWerder Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I meant "we" as in "us at big soccer" should call one too :).

Its good you say it though because I didn't know the meeting situation was bad. I agree about Hunt...Allofs has to be crazy to think his progress even suggests he's any kind of playmaker. IMO - bench. Boro, Pasanen, Wagner - traded. I'm not a big Hugomongo fan, but they needed him and the timing of the trade was to soon. The youth system didn't pan out so good, they failed to sign key players is another mistake and probably their undoing. Can the board vote Allofs out?

I have never watched a Werder game without Schaaf or Allofs involved and generally they have been successful if not lucky. Looking at the quality of player that they have had in the last 12 yrs. it is no surprise. Now that I think over the last decade maybe KA is comfortable with success and can afford to be stupid. As far as turning lemons to lemonade - big FAIL!

3. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys,

maybe its alright to have an off year?

1 really bad year in 12 ain't bad.

4. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hey, hey, the players didn't come out of nowhere. Werder have to thank KATS, personal contacts of Born and the scouting eye of Fazlic to get them.

In 1999 Werder stood with one leg in the 2nd Bundesliga. Magath got fired and Schaaf saved the club at the last 3 matchdays and built the club from a mid table club into a permanent Champions League contender.

When Schaaf took over there was no Micoud, no Diego, no Özil, no Pizarro. There was an unhappy Ailton and Magath wanted to sell him, because in his eyes he didn't had what it takes to become a good footballer (he became one despite his lack of social competence). There was Thorsten Frings, an unlucky striker, that got educated by Schaaf to become a world-class defensive midfielder in 2006.

So it is not like they were just lucky. What currently sucks is that in the last few years a lot of unlucky/bad decisions had been made, especially by Allofs and Schaaf could not handle some problems within the team, e.g. the defense behavior. Due to the benefits mentioned above the people around the club will not simply kick them, but I am also very pissed of the some decisions especially from Allofs (IMO he works too much (and so does not have the needed time to relax and get good ideas or to think about some things) and Baumann does not seem ready to really assist him) and I agree with you that it needs new impulses to bring the club back on track.

5. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Werder signed Pedrag Mijatovic from Schalke. The 19 years old offensive midfielder got a contract until 2014. He will at first play at the U23. And left defender Samuel Firmino de Jesus (without contract, played at last for Sao Paulo) is on a trial at Werder.

6. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I also read that we were intestested in Niko Kranjcer, but unfortunately Tottenham wouldn´t let him go because of CL / EPL. Now that would have been a good addition! Don´t know how the rate these two players though. Remind me a lot of Husejinovic, Testroet etc. who never really managed to make the next step...

7. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Werder could only try to loan Kranjcer. They try the same with Hoffenheims Simunic.

The problem is that Werder spend most of the money from the big sells for salaries and the stadium extension. There is no money left to sign established players. And as Winni suggested it is also not so easy to kick some players butt, although they deserve it, because they have running contracts. Allofs plan seems to buy young talents for small wages and searching for players that he can get for good conditions. I don't expect wonders from any of these players in the short term, the key will be that the well-payed underperformers like Mertesacker, Hunt, Marin, Frings, Arnautovic, ... (lots more) get their *** together and show why they once deserved such fat contracts.

8. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But this is stupid, isn´t it? I mean you can´t sell your best players year in year out in ordner to pay salaries and a stadium extension. We reached the CL last season and therefore should have generated enough money. The salaries and the stadium extension should be covered by running income and not by transfer-fees. This is weak economic activity.
    I honestly don´t believe that there was not enough money available prior to the season to pay salaries and the stadium. I don´t believe that it was a necessity for KA to put all the Özil-money into salaries and the stadium. If that really was the case though, then KA made much more mistakes than he is willing to acknowledge.

9. WinniWerder

WinniWerder Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This website has been a great experience for me. You see the difference between me being a fanboy for ten years, and you being there and paying attention to the bigger picture. It fills in a lot of blanks. Thank-you!

Ultimately it is up to the lads to provide the wins...or at least an effort. Have the German media any line-ups yet? It should be an interesting game tommorow and I wonder if an English broadcast is in the offing? Maybe I should go to the German Club tommorow morning!!! Anyhow, there is 2 feet of snow that needs clearing now. Night folks.

10. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Werder confirmed the signing of „Samuel" Firmino de Jesus. The 24 years old defender comes as a free transfer as his old contract at Sao Paulo ended past December. I hope that he used his free month well to adopt fast as us (not as Silvestre or Avdic, who were not fit). Well, good luck in Bremen.

P.S.: Good to have Jesus in the relegation fight: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-IterwA_-E"]Big Lebowski - Jesus Quintana[/ame] ;)

11. bullethead

bullethead Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Divine intervention may be our only hope.

On the bright side...could we possibly be any worse with him?

12. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Otto Rehagel was seen in Bremen *dreaming

13. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would not surprise me if they brought him back in some form of adviser capacity.

If there is one thing Rehhagel's team's have all known how to do, its defend.

14. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    And it really must be improved. With the absence of Naldo a big problem occured, the speed at defense midfield (Frings) and the central (Mertesacker, Prödl) and left defense (Silvestre). All these player are relative slow and our opponents used this weakness so far very good. Schaaf tries to react on it by playing with 2 DMs. Against top teams it worked at times well (against Bayern and BVB we were unlucky), there we did not loose due to tactical mistakes, but individual mistakes or bad referee decision (that is no excuse indeed). But against smaller opponents our players are stubborn and think that they can play football, give the opponent space and he could create situations to use our speed weakness. And in the offense the combinations do not really work. Hunt, Marin and Arnautovic can not let the ball run well, loose it too often too easily, the opponent can counter and use the weakness once more. So there is a defense and an (maybe even bigger) offense problem. We score too less goals.

It is not easy to fix these problems. But the start must be, that all of our players notice the danger of the current situation and fight also away from home and vs. other botton team. There too many points got wasted and if this does not change quickly, we see our club in real trouble. So, come on, players, start fighting. :mad:

15. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rangnick was also seen in Bremen. I have no written source for both appearances, but as I was born and raised in Bremen in "know" lots of people there.

Rehagel would be a dream coming true. Unfortunately I am too young to have experienced a Bremen side under his command. And Rangnick wouldn´t be that bad either. The reason he left Hoffenheim is obvoiusly the Gustavo-transfer and additionally because he had greater ambitions than Hopp.
    Botch good coaches who would definitely prevent us from relegation.

16. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys think they are in Bremen being interviewed as replacements for Schaaf?

17. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn´t go this far. Although it would be a very strange coinsidence that they suddenly appear in Bremen.
    Anyway, I don´t think the management will not sack Schaaf until we´ll be relegated. So there is no point in discussing this, just wanted to let you guys know and hear your opinions about them.

18. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Rehagel is a Werder legend, but IMHO his football philosophy does not fit in modern football. Don't get me wrong, he is still a good coach, but I don't think he would fit now as a coach into a BL team. On the other hand as an advisor he could be bring impulses, because of his experiences.

And Rangnick is a coach with great tactical knowledge, but no easy human.

19. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It seems likely that Dominik Schmidt will departure from Werder at the end of the season. There were contract extension talks with Schmidt, his manager and Allofs and it is said that the difference between what Schmidt wants to earns and what Werder wants to pay him is quite high. :(

I can understand it if it is true that Schmidt wants much money in comparison to what he showed so far. Allofs should not repeat mistakes from the past with giving average players too much money. But Werder must also manage to not sell their future, otherwise we end in a situation like 1860 Munich or Kaiserslautern some years ago.

20. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rangnick would be good, but I think either Hamburg or Wolfsburg will scoop him first, given that Veh and McClaren are still in danger of being sacked at anytime.

Not sure about Rehhagel, I haven't seen his teams before his Greece tenure so can't say much, but then again Greece were quite bad in the last two tournaments and unimaginably boring. Reading his past achievements he is no doubt a good coach, but then again Trapattoni was also seen as a good coach when he came to Stuttgart but he didn't survive after just half a season.

Somehow I dream of Benitez or Klinsmann coming over :p:p

21. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sport1.de today stated that there were talks between a board member of Bremen and Rangnick. They also said that this came from a very reliable source.
    Couple of hours later Allofs told the journalists that all of that simply was not true. :confused:

I would love to see Klinsmann as well. But I honestly don´t care who takes over from Schaaf in a short-term. I believe we simply need a change in coaching. For the long-term I´d consider both Rangnick or Klinsmann as very appropriate.

22. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    According to the Weserkurier the whole "Rangnick seen in Bremen story" is an internet hoax. Someone twittered it, someone read it, posted it at facebook, journalist found it, published it ...

Weserkurier

23. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The Guardian quotes Harry Redknapp that Werder made a 7 or 8 million pound bid for Niko Kranjcar this winter, but the player did not want to leave Tottenham.

link

The whole interest sounds very strange, 7 or 8 million. Well, it propably makes no difference for this sugardaddy Premier League clubs. :rolleyes:

24. WinniWerder

WinniWerder Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No Friday-nighter this week? What gives, is it a banker's holiday?

25. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    It propably had to do with the midweek national team matches. Some teams with national players from non-European countries would have a dissadvantage, because of the partwise long travel times. But that is only a thought.