Welcome Mesut Ozil! The Gunners nation salute you!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by charlie15, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In terms of sports training, the US learned everything they know from Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and to a certain extent the Eastern bloc. There are great universities in these countries doing legit research on kinesiology and training and all manner of athletic practice and theory. The US lags well behind because the "studies" done in America are all funded by either drug or supplement companies.

Having said that, US pro and college teams have adapted and adopted this knowledge far faster than anyone else.

The major problem in the British football is that there is no coaching culture. It's bizarre but it has a lot to do with the amateur grassroots--parents are seen as adequate for coaching their kid's teams. And this is also true for trainers and physios.

It isn't true for all sports in Britain though. GB runs train in sports like cycling and rowing because they have the best coaching and physio talent in the world working in these fields.

DutchCane repped this.
  2. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I buy any of that. Arsenal employs what has to be close to a dozen people just for the first team to handle medicine and health. We also spent quite a bit of money not too long ago to build world class medical facilities. Those don't seem like the actions of a club thats moto is "just get out there and play through it." A few years ago they even invited a bunch of Arsenal writers to come tour the facilities and talk to the staff to try to get rid of the "Arsenal has prehistoric medic practices" meme that had caught on. Obviously didn't do so well. :p

I do think Arsene is horrible at keeping a squad with enough depth. We played a champions league game with no striker on the bench, multiple games with no backup cb, and that's just this year. All of the weird injuries problems we've gotten into the pass few years is just amazing. So yeah, Arsene doesn't rotate well, and a lot of times just doesn't have the players to rotate. As to training, I have no earthly idea.

Some of the blame has to go to the players too. Ozil hurt it in the 2nd minute, and played an entire half? The medical staff can only help you if you let them. Same with Jack. Playing on with an injury doesn't make you a tough man; it makes you an injured, useless liability.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    All the medical facilities in the world don't help after the player is already injured - thats the point!

Wenger was already miles out of date years ago when Rafa and Fergus first started on heavy rotation. That's why Fergus like to have 4 quality strikers and loads of CBs

The other thing is that you will get loads of injuries regardless and you have to plan for that.

You can see the benefit that Arsenal has from having a decent pool of central midfielders for the first time.

Even with Rambo AND Wilshere AND Ozil out, Wenger can still field a high quality midfield 3

Shame about the front line.

4. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to hear him say he'll take a penalty correctly next time. Everything else can go out the window.

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't get some people. :shrugs:

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    take a penalty correctly? should he also run correctly? Pass the ball correctly?

mental

Tonerl repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he should run correctly. That's my exact point. Not his stupid-stop-start walk up thing he does. It irritates me like no other. I just hate that style of taking penalties..its dumb to me and after watching 2-3 of Benfica's players mess up in the same way in the EL final, just reinforces the idea. I don't have any other gripes with him

9. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stutter shot works if you can get the keeper to commit. Otherwise you are giving up too much power. Keepers don't fall for it too much either. Me personally love the Carlos Tevez 20 step lightning strike PKs.

10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ozil to score 3 goals in today's final, start the path towards an Arsenal legend.

11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Wayne Vecsey, Arsenal taken 20-man squad to Wembley. Barring late change, sounds like Ox-Chamberlain & Jenkinson omitted from matchday 18. Diaby injured.

12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAHAHA. Of course he is. But next year he'll be like a new signing.

13. tulorox17

tulorox17 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll just leave this here.

[​IMG]

bigredfutbol, Tonerl, Romfordray and 3 others repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  15. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also posted this in the match thread around a discussion of Özil, but I figure its more appropriate here:

Centers, Catchers, and Chileans: The Trouble With Mesut Özil’s Unquantifiable Excellence (Grantland article by Mike Goodman)

footykid, DaPrince84, charlie15 and 2 others repped this.
  16. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ozil to have a masterclass tomorrow

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ozil had a pretty good game against Manure. I do wonder if Arsene instructs him to pull away from attacking action into space so that he has more time on the ball? It seems like he purposely drifts away from attacks when he is not on the ball and bids his time in space for the ball to come. Very interesting strategy from Arsene if it is true.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never followed Ozil before, on his other teams, but I got the impression he just did this naturally. It's not like he's a lethal striker or anything.

That said, it looked like his work rate was up yesterday, along with his defensive duties. All good.

19. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was begging for Ozil to shoot just before the De Gea save on the Alexis shot. It was on his strong foot and he had an angle to curl it far post.

jamezyjamez repped this.
  20. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really should have shot there, had a much better angle.

charlie15 repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mesut does it naturally, Arsene does not need to tell him that. He floats into empty space, moves away from the ball and offers options and angles. It is a joy to see and is is not easy to discern right away. Just rewatch any Arsenal game and pay attention to his movement. Pure genius.

Read this comment about Ozil on the Dailycannon, loved it!
    "Ozil gives the impression of floating through games as if he were Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption"

Romfordray and BigEffingGooner repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ozil vs MU.

jamezyjamez and InTheSun repped this.
  23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006

I have been looking for an opportunity to post this link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ing-to-the-side-so-why-is-he-called-lazy.html

BigEffingGooner repped this.
  24. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the replay then contrast that to what Fellaini did when Manu had the ball. If I was coaching this year, I'd tell any kid wanting to play midfield to watch him at all times. It's how you affect the game when you don't have the ball.

Anyone who doesn't like Ozil's play is biased, only enjoys route 1, or doesn't understand the game.

goonsquad, elessar78, Fifty and 5 others repped this.
  25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Or doesn't watch anything off the ball.