Welcome, Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great.

Then perhaps we should just fold up our tents and go home from this quaint little forum. Who cares if he cheats then? It's just a game then after all.... ;)

(re: I get it. Perhaps it was a little bit of hyperbole, but there was something more at stake for the Uruguayans.)

2. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

3. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's much more than that at an international level. International sports are so political it's insane.

Example: Didier Drogba held a press conference to ask Ivorians to stop fighting and that led to the country eventually pausing it's civil war during the World Cup - That's f*cking nuts.

We in first world nations may just see it as a game but for those in poorer nations, sports may be the only thing that will ever unite the people.

4. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Felt bad for him today. He had no one to play with.

5. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he was our one lone bright spot (well, Kelly looked good before he hobbled off and Lucas was his usual steady self). Green robbed him of a goal with a very good save and he still managed to make one for Johnson, despite looking like the only player on the field.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sound familiar? :D

7. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eerily so. Too many passengers, today, though, and it's not even in the skill department that I'm talking about, but utter indolence and lethargy.

8. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    On the contrary, you'd of had a swarm of Uruguayans pointing out that Suarez's handball came about from a freekick that wasn't a foul, and the subsequent scramble in the box had two clear offsides the linesman should have flagged but shockingly didn't.

Frankly, Uruguay were being robbed. Thankfully, Gyan's such a gentleman that he missed the penalty intentionally so we could see which team really deserved to advance. :rolleyes:

What Suarez did has been done before and will again, I'm surprised it continues to be brought up again and again. It's a tactical foul that happens all the time at club level and is nothing new at the World Cup. Hell, Uruguay themselves suffered it in Italy 90 against Spain (an almost exact copy of Suarez's handball, Villarroya stopped an on goal effort by Herrera, Ruben Sosa went on to miss the penalty) and in England 66 against Germany (Jim Finney didn't even award a penalty on Schnellinger's blatant handball), and back then the player that committed the tactical foul wasn't penalized with a sending off.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    1966...I demand a FIFA investigation
    [​IMG]

Time to move on folks. Nothing more to get out of this.....it's so yesterday!

10. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There's only 1 saint in football. The rest cheat. So let's not get hung up on the fact that Suarez chose the right time to cheat.

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Jesus Christ...that is your name isn't it? Go away......

12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You go away. Or better yet, find me a player who doesn't cheat.

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I wasn't too keen on his signing but today he proved me wrong and now I will happily eat humble pie. :)

'That said, someone on here said that he had just as much technique as Kuyt: I think today he proved that he def. has at least a little bit more. ;)

14. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The run down the byline for the first was pure freakin' genius

15. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Even Messi would have been impressed with that run.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was totally pissed off when he did Evra and Brown, leaving them for dead, but then fired wide. We have not had this type of flair for a 'coon's age (see I even know a bit of American English).

17. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only his flair, but his intense competitiveness. The guy runs and runs and runs some more, then gets pissed off when he misfires, despite his team being up 3-0. Suarez has as much fire in his belly as any player I can think of.

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Workrate, passion, skill, technique. What more could you ask for? He is headed down the path of cult hero ala Kuyt.

19. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say that, but I said he has sloppy technique. Technique and skill are different things. He isn't the "cleanest" of ball masters, but he does seem to get the job done.

20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's fair to say that he is persistent and adventurous and that is often rewarded when combined.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I like it when he scrambles to keep on his feet and keeps after the ball, instead of doing a Nani.

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeh, Kuyt really didn't need to touch it, it was on it's way but I just couldn't imagine him standing back to watch though. Stuff it in the net then we'll talk about it.

23. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    B.S.

24. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    at first, i was pissed at kuyt for touching it in because that would have been the goal of the season, but i'd rather kuyt have it than it be an evra own goal... looking at the replay, it was a straight cross to kuyt and it took a touch off of evra sending it goal-ward...

dirty as hell, though... this guy is the real deal...

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Bachelor of Surgery?

British Standards?

Blocked Shot?