Welcome, Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already started. Chelsea was pretty intent on kicking him all over the park and Hull did the same. What scares me is he is getting no love from officials. Still not sure what the yellow card was for in the Hull game and amazed more wasn't made of the "tackle" a few minutes earlier. Yeh the defender got the ball but he changed his follow throw to nail Suarez on the ankle. Of course Suarez's rep isn't helping, teams would be more than happy to trade a red card and a 6 month ban for a few teeth marks.

As for the contract. I am sure there is a buyout clause, it just doesn't make sense from his perspective. Even if he has gone through a change of heart and loves LFC again no harm in waiting until May and insuring we were in Champs Lge before re-upping. But I still don't care. The contract is nothing but good for the club, even with a clause it's for a truckload of money and I am sure protects us against selling inside the league. Not saying anything new I know.

2. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's my point, and yes, the referees seem to lose their whistle and look the other way when Señor is getting the crap kicked out of him - and then the commentators side with the referees and call Luis a diver and a cheat...He's in a no win battle, and is forced to play through with the kicking and non-call fouling...I'm not saying he is innocent in all of this...his reputation has been established, but I really think he has shown much less diving and whining this season than ever before...

My real point is that I think he will not continue scoring every game, and that should open up opportunities for others...we just need those others to step up and finish their chances...(Coutinho, Henderson, Sterling, Allen...) I see Señor putting up ten or fifteen assists in the second half of the season, but increasing his goal tally to only ten or so more...If he proves me wrong - I am fine with that...:thumbsup:

3. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As long as Danny can stay healthy - I totally agree...but I'd like to maybe see another top finisher to help out as well...or get our youngsters to shoot on target...

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ugh, it's such a crap situation. In an ideal world Luis would just ignore questions like that or be more diplomatic in his answers. As it is, he is convinced of his innocence and the British media is always going to be convinced that they are semantically right.

6. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #706 liverbird, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    It's the Daily ********ing Fail -- feel free to ignore. And if I was Suarez I would not walk across the street to piss on Evra, the asshole

AndSomeAreAngels repped this.
  7. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all experience cognitive dissonance at times. The UK media just does it on a regular basis.

8. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He really is a nice lad off the pitch

@empireofthekop: Luis Suarez spotted by fans shopping in Liverpool One's Adidas store http://t.co/N1oq9401rN via @livechonews

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I have a strong suspicion that he will be given the vice captaincy this summer.

10. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I remember the prank those Manchester kids played on him in a Manchester mall last summer. Glad he's learned that he should probably stick to Liverpool to do his shopping :p

But yeah, Suarez is living proof of how football and life are two very different things. On the pitch he's regarded as one of the world's biggest a-holes due to the alleged racism, the biting, and the Ghana fans who are still mad because Asamoah Gyan missed a penalty. But he's a family + community guy off the pitch in real life, and that's how a human being ought to be judged.

You never hear of Suarez picking up hookers (Rooney), picking up underage hookers (Benzema/Ribery), cheating on his wife (Giroud), cheating on his wife repeatedly (Giggs), sleeping around with teammates' spouses (Terry), or getting into controversial date rape allegations (Van Persie).

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Say what?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...joses-quiet-time/story-fn8uzjqx-1226843795340

12. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  13. lcstriker11

lcstriker11 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not really.

According to Tony Barret: Suarez's clause was tested by various lawyers & the PFA. John Henry has either been misquoted or not got his own wording right.

Just hope the timing of this false headline does not bite us in the ass, two weeks till our next game this will be the media's main focus when talking about us. I'd hate for Suarez and his agent to see these headlines and think we conned him into staying, as we know from the Evra case that he does not like being slighted.

Kawklee repped this.
  15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think pikas has it spot on. Misquoted by a tw@tter user and widely reported by the media and press here.

16. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that really was the case you figured Suarez or his agent would have filed something in court. Seems odd to admit it, and seems odd to have gotten away with it.

18. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this was ever posted:

LiverpoolFanatic and usscouse repped this.
  19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good Interview with Luis - better watch now before it's removed:

Damn - 3 years he's been here (granted he has been suspended about 1/2 a season of that) already...Life is flying by.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    To follow on from Poo's video in the other thread- it gets better! :D

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  24. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ordinarily I'd be thrilled - and I am - but today literally ruined my weekend and the next week for me.

(until Everton make me happy again!)