Welcome Head Coach Cassar

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SN14, Dec 18, 2013.

1. CameraMonkey

CameraMonkey Member

Real Salt Lake
    Aug 1, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's to say Fraser won't be coming anyway?

Kreis leaves = head coach position open.
    Brown leaves = asst. coach position open.
    Cassar takes the HC spot = HC position filled, asst. coach position open.

There's two (2) asst. coach positions open, both are defensive positions which, last I checked, Fraser has done/is doing. Sooooo... ???

2. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does Fraser get all of the credit for getting NY the SS? For all we know it was Petke's ideas on how the defense should be run, not Fraser. I don't understand the love affair we have with Fraser. Was he here when RSL had the strongest defense? Yes. But so was Cassar. We don't know all of the inner workings of the coaching staff, but for some reason we've attributed everything to Fraser. Fraser gets a pass for the mess at Chivas, does that mean Preki does as well? Preki outperformed Fraser while at Chivas (38.32 win % vs 22.06 win %), yet he's not considered head coaching material anymore.

I'm excited for the Cassar hire. He seems to have the same fire and passion that Kreis had.

wyomango repped this.
  3. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I thought that as well but if you they don't pick you for the head coaching spot why would you feel excited to return for sloppy seconds?

I would like to see Fraser back working with Cassar but don't think that has a chance of coming true.

4. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The move has been made....so, let's be positive while we wait to see. One thing I liked about Fraser is that he has been a HC in a situation that didn't work out. It's the type of "school of hard knocks" experience that you just cannot buy. My first executive job turned out much the same way and I've benefitted greatly from the lessons I came away with. Hiring an inexperienced HC is always a gamble. You never know if its going to work out or not. It takes a special personality to be a successful HC. Whoever our coach is, he's got to be able to put butts in the seats. We don't have many income streams, and the gate is a cornerstone for RSL. Maybe that's another reason Garth and company want to keep the same system in place. Its attractive soccer and people come out to see it.

5. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB is sending their coaching staff to Europe to watch training sessions and learn from other managers. I think Fraser will stick with that opportunity.

6. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Why are some assuming it came down to money?

Ivensor repped this.
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I agree. That was my point. Everyone gives Fraser the benefit of the doubt when maybe Cassar is just a better candidate. I hope he is and proves it on the pitch.

He has my support.

8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatdayamean no amazing group of available coaches? Sexy AVB became available just a couple of days ago!

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because it's quantifiable and people want to bitch about DLH being tight fisted.
    It could be a whole host of things. If we're honest, it is a whole host of things.

Maybe Garth and Fraser didn't have as good of a connection as Garth has with Cassar.
    Maybe Fraser hated being in SLC like Eddie Pope did
    Maybe we're all just in a dream like a Lost episdoe and we'll wake up to find out we've won a couple trophies the last few seasons.

Maybe I'm tired of work and just want to go to bed

RoyalNonesuch, Lizzie Bee and BalanceUT repped this.
  10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we have Cassar for 4.5 years, that means we are having great success with him and paying him appropriately. I can live with that scenario.

Allez RSL, ShaggyReAL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, Lost wasn't a dream. It was something entirely different.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seriously
    worrying about how Kreis might become USMNT head coach and possibly could take away our brand spanking new head coach in 4.5 ********ing years!!??

Come on, man

You're like that guy on twitter I was getting pissed off at the other night. Kreis gets announced as new head coach and this guy is flipping out about the expansion draft in 2015. Not that we have a vacancy at the head coaching position. Not that we could be losing players in the next year. Not Garth Lagerway's contract. His biggest fear was "Kreis will take one of our players in the expansion draft in 2015!" You know that Jackie Chan meme? I was all that

Allez RSL and BalanceUT repped this.
  13. ShaggyReAL

ShaggyReAL Awesome is my middle name

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Cassar is still coaching RSL in 4.5 years I'll take that as a good sign though.

pcny and BalanceUT repped this.
  14. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, Kreis is taking one of our players in the expansion draft in 2015? Crap. Well, I don't see the need to watch the 2014 season now...

Regarding Kreis as USMNT coach: I don't see it happening. I think Gulati goes for another high profile guy after Klinnsman is done. Pep Guardiola has expressed interest, and I'm sure others will throw their hat in the ring depending on how WC '14 and '18 go. Coach Sweats could've been the last US born coach for a while.

BalanceUT repped this.
  15. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I felt this way a little bit, too. But then I realized that just a few days ago I was hoping that Kreis would miraculously stick around. If he can't stick around, seems like Cassar might be the next closest thing. Given that we're keeping our core together for a couple more years, I'm happy to keep the system in place that we've already got going. Cassar knows the RSL system better than anyone but Kreis. The big unknown is whether Cassar has the personality to be THE guy. For that we'll have to wait and see...

Allez RSL and Black Prince repped this.
  16. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Certainly not, but can we get a spell check?

;)

15 to 32 repped this.
  17. I'm very excited for Jeff. Looking forward to another winning season.

Boz repped this.
  18. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jesus Christ, it was A JOKE you guys, settle the ******** down.

Just goes to show you how wound up this place is, maybe we all need to take a step back/away from the RSL trough these days. A few weeks of misery has sure wound everyone up.

And my reply to thoughts regarding attributing/not attributing success and failure for certain clubs with certain coaches: Obviously these coaches don't exist in a vacuum where everything is and is not their fault, every situation is different. Fraser was an outright failure at Chivas, it wasn't all his fault, but a lot of it was. He made a lot of mistakes and there is something to be said about experiencing failure and mistakes like he did, I think he's the type of guy that learns from them and grows in his profession. At the same time obviously it wasn't entirely him that lead to NY being the SS winner this year or RSL winning the Cup in 09 plus having the best defense in MLS history in '10. At the same time I'm much more comfortable with attributing more success to him, at least during his time at RSL, than I am to Cassar. Cassar has remained with the club and we've experience a precipitous decline in the defense since Fraser has left. Again, this isn't a vacuum situation and it's not entirely Cassar's and/or CJ Brown's fault for that decline, but I think it lends credence to the idea that Fraser had a huge hand in those amazing defensive years we had.

At the same time this franchise has experience with hiring guys with no head coaching experience and building something special. Cassar will certainly get his chance to put his own stamp on this team and I will support him/RSL every step of the way. I just think a better choice could have been made, IN MY OPINION.

19. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It's been over 2 years since you've posted! Welcome back, Poqui!

BalanceUT repped this.
  20. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure......we ;);) believe ya...

21. Thanks, I've never left, I just don't post as much. I've had to "bridle my tongue" a bit.

Allez RSL and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you believe then just stand up on your feet...

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's hard to say if Frasier or Cassar would've been the better choice, so hopefully this does pan out. I think what will be telling is who winds up filling the two assistant positions. Hopefully we get someone that can shore up the defense, and someone who can help out with the offense.

While I hope we can keep a similar style, I'm really hoping that Cassar loosens the reigns a bit on the offense. I want to see our creative guys have the freedom to create.

23. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I have no idea about the success in NY, but Fraser has always received (and deservedly so) the credit for the RSL defense in 2008-2010. Cassar was the goalkeeper coach at the time and deserves credit for that. But Fraser was the author (at least in large part) for the defensive scheme that the team employed at the time. Kreis gave him that credit on several occasions. I heard it with my own ears. He was also key to the change in the team culture to a winning one. Kreis also gave him credit for that back then. In addition, Fraser had a very large role in running the training sessions back then. Since he left, Kreis has taken on a much larger role in that capacity.

I understand wanting to defend Cassar, but there's no need to tear down Fraser in the process. In 2008-2010, Fraser was miles ahead of Cassar as a coach. Cassar has come a long way since that point, and taken on a lot more responsibility. Now he'll have a chance to show how far he's come. I'm very interested in seeing how the players respond to him, and how he deals with his first bit of adversity as a coach. Can we all just move forward now?

24. ShaggyReAL

Dec 9, 2009
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cassar doesn't get to pick his own staff? WTF?

Edit: Whew! Manning answered the question wrong. nevermind

25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to tear down or defend anyone. I'm just trying to understand the thought process of why everyone wants Fraser over Cassar. There isn't really any evidence to say one would be a better head coach than the other. It could very well be that they are both better assistant coaches than they are head coaches.

15 to 32 repped this.