Welcome FC Edmonton!

Discussion in 'FC Edmonton' started by CFCHawkNation, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, for limited promotion I would think that 5 k is a pretty good turn out. I think they are using these games in two ways, as kind of a low key promotional tool and also dry run for both the team on the field and off the field. You get to set up your departments and processes and actually use them. So you get to work out some of your day of game process and on the field, you get to build a base for your team. And you get to see the level of players that your going to need.

2. brandonsoccerfan

brandonsoccerfan New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Fath sounds like he is willing to sink some money into the team. Notice that they don't plan to have any big names and the Dutch coach has ties to the area so I'm hoping he gave them a discount. Overall, it looks like it's a first-class organization and if they can withstand losing some money at the beginning, they will have a very bright future.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually after reading over the roster, it sounds like the Dutch coaching staff are indeed bringing over several Dutch players to make up the team. A very good team/club/organization. Lets hope the city embraces them.

4. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Yeah, what I forgot to mention is that they have brought in some Dutch guys who will serve as palyer/assistant coaches. The head coach has said that the focus will be on local, Edmonton-based players.

5. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I know they considered bringing back the "Drillers" name, but decided against it.

7. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the "Drillers" currently owned by a different group that has the indoor team? I would imgagine that's the reason for not using that. As for Brickmen, I'm not sure if it really carries that much weight in the community. It's not like the Rowdies, Timbers or Sounders.

I think they are better trying to build a new identity rather then trying to be tied to a name that I'm guessing most potential fans in Edmonton probably aren't familar with.

8. aulu87

aulu87 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would be the guess as to what the FC Edmonton ownership group paid Portsmouth to come over? Any predictions on the scoreline? That should be a pretty decent game.

9. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well portsmouth will be pretty depleted but i expect them to win 4-0 or something.

10. aulu87

aulu87 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably in for a surprise then be cause I don't think it will be that lopsided. Not sure if you know that they have Lodweges as coach and a number of decent players as well. I'm gonna go ahead and predict a 2-1 W Portsmouth.

How much is Pompeii (that's the nickname right?) being paid to play? 500,000?

11. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, well.
    1-1 draw, pompey win on pens.
    My prediction was way off. Well done Edmonton.

8,700k or so, in attendance.

12. aulu87

aulu87 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like us Canucks have learned a thing or two about the beautiful game after all. Watch out world... : ) But in all seriousness FC Edmonton probably owe a great deal of their success to the coaching ability of Lodweges. I know this is a stereotype but, in general, Dutch coaches advise a very tactical approach to football and it would seem that it's working for Edmonton.

Where Edmonton's success really holds promise is in the realm of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship (stupid sponsorship label that seems to have stuck) - really the Voyageur's Cup. For 2011 we'll have 4 Canadian teams competing. Over the next few years the level of play for Cdn-based clubs will only get better as more teams vie for the right to represent Canada in the Champions League. With 4 quality teams competing in 2011 it will be a stern test.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am eagerly looking forward to the day when Canada gives Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, Trinidad or whoever else is the CONCACAF #3 a serious test.

14. aulu87

aulu87 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'll be awhile. I think it would be a success if Canada could just get some international recognition at the club level - that that would be a good start on which to build. For example, when we had our friendly against Argentina before the WC not a single Argie journalist was sent to interview or talk to the Canadians. It was like we didn't exist. And in all fairness we don't. We're invisible on the international stage when it comes to soccer. I think therefore that, since people seem to recognize cities more than countries, and people seem to appreciate city teams more than national teams - especially in Canada. It is more likely for example to see Italians supporting Toronto FC but then Italy on the world stage. We can't expect Canadians to buy into the Canadian MNT. We can expect them to support our clubs though.

And, if our clubs are successful in the Champions League - they can go on to the Club World Cup or take part in tours of Europe, Asia, etc. I think clubs will lead the way in the recognition of Canadian soccer in the next decade. I'm a huge football (soccer) fan but even myself, I don't know if I'm ready to support the Cdn MNT. There's so little coverage and recognition of the team. I'm almost thinking that we should just accept that, at the int'l level we are a hockey nation - and support that. Italian-Canadians, Pakistani-Canadians, Polish-Canadians, none of them have trouble supporting the Canadian Men's hockey team. We get too much hockey in Canada - on everything. It's such a part of who we are. That I think we should just almost cash in our chips at the int'l level, put all our supports, money and resources into Canadian soccer at the club level, and leave countries like the US, Mexico and Costa Rica to representing CONCACAF at the WC.

15. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I could not disagree more. All of the (fill in the blank) Canadians need to get behind our national team. It won't help immediately on the field, but if there is enough pressure we can force changes to the structure of Canadian football for the future.

Aside from that I also have an issue with people being Canadian only when it suits their best interest. You are either Canadian or you are not.

16. Bend_it

Bend_it Member

Jun 13, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    FC Edmonton - Spokane Spiders 14 - 0

That is soccer, not football my friends, fourteen nil the game ended

19. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah it's amazing what a team managed by a guy that has previously managed PSV and the Dutch U-21 can do against a glorified Metro League team.

FC Edmonton has 3 players that have played in the Eredivisie, one that has played in the Paulista, Chris Lemire played in the A-League/USL-1 and Shaun Saiko was an academy player for Middlesbrough. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to score at will against a group of 2nd-tier college players.

21. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I have no idea why the glorious FC Edmonton wanted a friendly game against these group of 2nd-tier college players, it does not make much sense to me

1 person likes this.
  22. brandonsoccerfan

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    It makes all the sense in the world. They want to get some games under their belt and gauge the interest in the area. 14-0 is an accomplishment against any club. There are D-2 teams that play against similar teams in the preseason and only win by 3-0 or 5-0. 14-0 is just insane and should be noticed!

23. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    14-0 in any competitive football match is impressive.
    See early rounds of the f.a cup where you have postmen and waiters playing against premier league players who earn £75,000 per week, and usually the score is only 4/5/6 etc.
    Hardly ever in the double digits.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The word is that Spokane is dying & dying fast. I can't find the link (I think it was on the Seattle Examiner) to an article which reportedn their players playing some regular season games in torn shirts with mismatched shorts.

The owners have - allegedly - given up. Students know/believe the team won't be back next year, so why bother? Turn up, collect the check, but just avoid injury before the college team goes into training mode.

14-0 is a sign of a completely, ruthlessly professional mindset in the coaching staff & players. That is an accomplishment for a team playing an exhibition season, but not vis a vis another team. I just hope it doesn't devalue the team's work against opposition that actually gave a ***, e.g. Colo-Colo, Portsmouth, even Victoria.

25. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i think it is great how well FC Edmonton is doing gearing up for D2. now if only they would hire a professional design firm to come up with a real badge instead of one done using MS Paint.