News: Welcome Brek: Potter (Brek Shea at Stoke/ On loan to Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomásbernal, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

my favorite Brek Shea goal. He's got better control than people realize - it's all about confidence with this kid. It wasn't there in 2012, but a lot of that could have been the injuries and the missed games. He'll hit his stride again - he's just got too many good years in front of him.

Also, I don't believe he can progress much more at Dallas. For those who don't think he's a great fit for Stoke, have you seen him play for SH? Shea's best attribute is his ability to make penetrating runs from the midfield - he could be extremely effective for Stoke.

2. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Would feel more confident about this move if he was going to Stoke off the back of a successful MLS season.

3. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As many have said before me, if Shea's injured foot problem is behind him or close to being behind him, stoke could very well get the 2011 Shea. If that is the case I wouldn't be too worried about this move.

freisland repped this.
  4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Shea would be much better in a more structured league like Germany(or a tea like Fulham that plays possession). At There his bursting runs from the midfield would be mastered.

On Shea's ability; he's not in Bale's area code when it comes to dribbling and 1v1 situations. He's more like a Valencia , meaning he just has a that one good feint and then a cross. Unfortunately he lacks Valencia's soccer IQ.

Again, the big thing about him is his bursting runs out of midfield(not really dribbling, though)

I actually don't think Shea isn't a great defender or even a guy that runs hard for 90 minutes.

I think he'll do fine with Stoke because he won't have to improve that much honestly, which kind of sucks for a USMNT fan. I wanted him to go to a side like Fulham because he would have to learn how to be a better footballer or sink.

If he's really is recovered form his injury/surgery he should have no problems at Stoke.

5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Don't get the anti-Stoke bias. For a US player with more potential than proven ability, making the roster of an established mid-table EPL team is never a bad thing for us USMNT fans. Look at the possible outcomes:
    1) They quickly become the next Bale, and big clubs come shopping the following season, and we develop a world class player.
    2) They prove to be a premier level player and earn a regular starting role at Stoke playing week in and out against strong competition, and continue developing quickly. (Cameron, Holden, Dempsey, etc..)
    3) They can't make it off the bench. Either they get loaned out or sold to lower division teams, or they bide their time until injuries give them a chance. Worst case is they sit, but that usually doesn't last long (Edu= half a season).
    4) They are exposed as no where near top tier material (Rogers). This case is bad for the player, but not for the NT.

6. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    He's here for a medical for 2 days I think. Our medical team wont let the deal go through unless they are 100% sure he is over the worst. We turned down Demba Ba due to medical reasons :(

FirstStar repped this.
  7. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Stoke are a better team than Fulham

8. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke's LMs are not much better than Shea. They looked horrible on that side today.:thumbsdown:

9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, but the style they play would improve one of his weak spots.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I think the medical team just does height and weight to make sure the player meets the Stoke minimum size requirements :D

11. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    But a winger in Fulham's system will play the same way in Stoke's. Beat your man, get in a cross or a shot. Its much the same the world over for a winger

Deeneaus, Pl@ymaker and stonejh127 repped this.
  12. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except at stoke he'll be require to track back to defend much more right? All 11 men behind the ball to defend! :) But on a serious note, IMO that is one of Shea's better attributes.

13. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought FCD refused the transfer fee? Does it still seem like a deal is going to go through?

14. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Well, an MLS "no" these days transfer-wise is a code word for "Give us an extra few hundred thousand and we'll seal the deal.", so presumably that's being done.

Pl@ymaker and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  15. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Media over here are reporting that we've agreed terms with MLS for £3 million, and Shea will arrive next week for a medical

Pl@ymaker and Mario Balotelli repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may also have to change his hair style & color so that he is indistinguishable from his teammates on any crappy stream.

Pl@ymaker, jclampit and stonejh127 repped this.
  17. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I saw that, quite the increase if true. Also worry that this puts a bit of pressure on Shea, since now he'd be a ~5 million dollar signing.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As has been said, Shea, if he can get back to the promise he showed two seasons ago, could be a good season and a good bit of business. He has enough tools to hang out in the EPL and make good retirement money for sure. Whether he can impact the teams fortunes is much more of a crap shoot.

Going on nothing but gut, I have a bit of a good feel here. If the foot is good, I'm thinking the new challenge might get him to find another gear. I feel like he's got more upside than he has consistently shown.

19. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't expect him to go the window with his surgery. Hope he's recovering well

20. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I'd hope so, someone apparently just splashed out 4.8 million bucks for him! :sneaky:

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From red hoops to red stripes Shea will be looking to get into the blue with some positive play. I think he can do it. I like this move. Pullis has a way to get the best out his players and Shea should be able to benefit. Change could do Shea wonders. Aside Ffom injury he looked bored (or rather tapped out) in MLS.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reports yet that Brek has touched down in England? As soon as there is, the statement from FCD not being interested in selling is proven false. Brek doesn't get on that plane if there's not considerable dialogue between the two clubs and a likely transfer.

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    if/when deal goes through I wouldn't be surprised if Shea rarely sees the field until late in the season. Had surgery in November and just recently got cleared to practice. If Stoke gets him, I think they will (should) take it slow with him. Maybe even send him on a short term loan to a lower division (1 month) to get his feet under him

25. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... Sky Sports seems to believe it is done.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ational-Brek-Shea-is-on-his-way-to-Stoke-City

I think this is them inferring that the deal is done because he is getting a physical but because of his recovery off of his November surgery, this deal is being done differently. It kind of seems like theyre doing a physical before everything because of his injury. Either way, I am pretty sure he will move to Stoke this month.