News: Welcome Brek: Potter (Brek Shea at Stoke/ On loan to Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomásbernal, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After his Chelsea performance I think it might be safe to say that RM is not his best position. ;)

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  2. Toon16

Toon16 Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not ready to claim it as a good or bad move yet, will be interesting at the very least. I don't think Stoke's style will be a huge hindrance. They do start passing a bit when it's in the final third, and they'll love someone who wants to cross. Definitely won't be at LB, thankfully.

3. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They just got Jermaine Pennant back from loan as well. He's a capable wide player although he doesn't seem to be part of TPs plans.

4. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Is Shea even healthy right now?

5. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had surgery the first week of November and was expected to be out 12-14 weeks which would put his return in the timeframe of early-to-mid February return.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. If last year was more due to injury, which is highly likely, having loose bone fragments on your preferred foot is something anyone would struggle with, and due to surgery he comes back fit as he was in 2011, then he's plenty good for time at Stoke.

Stoke is so short on tech ability that Brek might even stand out after having time to adapt. He's a pretty good defender at the LM/LW position as he has shown that against Euro NT's when healthy, but the question would be can he do it as an EPL LB, although that's just Twellman speculating. He'll end up playing where he can help Stoke the most.

7. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Can someone give an overview of this guy? Strengths/weaknesses, best position etc? Are we getting him for a good price?

8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but Etherington could play right mid with seamlessly no difference. I think he is coming in to compete for one wide position and I would take him over Walters tbh..

9. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Kinda Tall, crazy hair, left foot.

Couchtoast repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strengths:
    Pace
    Size for a winger
    Crossing
    Defending from a LM/LW position(when engaged mentally)

Average:
    1v1 ability against opposing RB's, RM's
    Break away speed in 1v1 situation(when healthy maybe above average)

Weaknesses:
    Combination play(although was better when healthy) struggles combining centrally in final 3rd which definitely need work
    Shooting off his right

wixson7 repped this.
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I tend to agree with this as well, but it should be pointed out that he started to really struggle even before that injury (toward the end of his Best XI season and at the beginning of the following season), so I'm not sure that the injury explains everything.

12. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very fast, strong, strictly left sided. Proved at FC Dallas he is poor on the right. He can improve though. He has a lot of upside. Gareth Bale esque winger in that like Bale he can play left back efficiently but is more useful at left wing. Ever since I saw him play in the Toulan Tournament I expected him to be great. You indeed got a bargain imho. I expected Shea to have a very good upcoming MLS season and no offence but I expected him to get sold to a better club than Stoke next winter. I'd be happy if I were a Stoke supporter. As a USMNT supporter, its fine.

13. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    This is all going really quick for a transfer, and I'm not really sure if it's the right thing to do on both sides' parts. 2012 was a bit of a low note for Shea, and from my view point of view on the NYRB side of things he's always been at least a slight bit of a head case.

If he can straighten himself out and recapture that 2011 form though, that'd be great. That's an if though. He certainly has the tools for it, but it's only really come together for a half season so far.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will say, from a business perspective, FCD screwed the pooch by not selling Shea in July, 2011. There was the rumored 5M bid from Schalke turned down as well as much other apparent interest.

Of course FCD hoped Brek would come back and repeat the performance last year, but he was injured early in Van, then his relationship with SH really went down hill. Brek is partly to blame for that but players having issues with SH is nothing new and once the relationship does turn for the worse, the player is almost always moved. Makes this rumor even easier to believe, along with rumors that FCD already have another winger lined up.

15. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    I just want to be on record saying I do not like this move.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injury aside Stoke isn't a good fit for him IMO.

17. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Given what's happened since, was it really screwing the pooch though? Don't really see the point of potentially Villareal-Jozying another young American player.

18. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Strengths:
    Pace
    Size for a winger
    Defending from a LM/LW position(when engaged mentally)
    1v1 ability against opposing RB's, RM's
    Strength

Average:
    Combination play - much of this his criticism at Dallas was unfair. it was on the lack of skill of his teammates
    Break away speed in 1v1 situation(when healthy maybe above average)

Weaknesses:
    Crossing
    Shooting off his right

Essentially he's a poor man's Gareth Bale with some room to grow into that potential.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Think of him as a tall N'Zogbia.

20. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isnt even a strong crosser at the MLS level. I definitely wouldnt say that when explaining him to an EPL supporter.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  21. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea to Stoke? hmmmmm. Not so sure about this.

22. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Cheers for the responses everyone.

Etherington looks absolutely shot. Not been the same since he got injured before the cup final a few years ago. Doubt we'd bring in anyone to play LB with Wilson about to return.

Walters wont be dropped, if hes coming in to start, its for Etherington.

Dont understand this "not a good fit" tbh. We love wingers, we are one of the few Premier League teams who play with 2 proper wingers regularly. We dont go for the long ball itself as often as people think, but we attack down the wings and put in a steady succession of crosses.

23. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I just don't think Shea is very good - but opinions of him vary greatly. Of course I'd root for him to succeed. :)

24. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

I haven't agreed with you on a lot of things... but I do agee with what you've said here... I actually think this could potentially be a great fit for Shea. Stoke are starved for wingers in the system they play and Ether/Kightly really haven't done the job. Should be interesting to see what TP does with Brek when he's fully fit again.

25. Sergei_Shtaniuk

Sergei_Shtaniuk Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Just looked him up. He's an odd looking chap, isnt he?

Dirt McGirt and Tom Collingsworth repped this.