News: Welcome Brek: Potter (Brek Shea at Stoke/ On loan to Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomásbernal, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Plus, I believe that 2-3 m pounds is about what Stoke pays. If Abramovitz were interested we could talk some big money. He isnt. That is the market. Is MLS saying that an MLS player is not entitled to market worth? Does the MLS have anti trust exemption like baseball?

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I said when he extended that this was the case of agent negligence, if not outright malfeasance, not to include a reasonable buy-out clause into his contract and $3.5M (10x his 2012 salary) is more than a reasonable number.

Now, whoever that agent is, he better use all his powers of persuasion to get his client into a better league.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Again, Shea is a young, left footed player and in the physical elite. There are easily twenty times as many Bradley type midfielders who have just a good a motor. Supply and demand. In any case, I think his worth is probably around $5 million. Even 3.5 million would be acceptable but it would be overstating by a lot to call it "awfully fair".

4. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I think player values are based more on soccer eliteness, than physical eliteness.

Konut repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree, but these other things count. After all, Shea is a good player. He may even become a great player. Being left footed, tall and fast just adds to that base.

6. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to drag this thread off-topic; however, I'm curious if anyone here knows whether one can negotiate a buy-out clause with an MLS team, or if such a thing would have to involve league reps as well. I would theorize that MLS would simply void such a clause if they were not consulted.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since MLS technically owns all contracts (that's still true, right?) I would guess that you have to negotiate a buyout clause with MLS.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Huh? supply and demand? If there was 5 million worth of demand for Brek he'd be gift wrapped by now, no?

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, I would think so too. It's Central Planning in its glory.

[​IMG]

(too obscure?)

Sup Bro repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hard to believe Stoke is the only club after him. No Bundesliga or Ligue 1/Eredivisie interest?

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

If by "out of England" you mean directly from Pulis, then yeah. It's certainly peculiar, though maybe not more peculiar than if they'd said he was coming for a week-long medical.

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's not hard to believe at all. He has had one good season in the MLS.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    stoke are just trying to outsmart everyone else and take a huge gamble ahead of what they think might be a comeback season for shea that will price him out of their bracket.

blacksun repped this.
  14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not surprised that's currently the way it is, but previously Fulham, Schalke, Kyiv and Everton have all scouted him and were rumored to be quite interested.

Schalke had a bid rejected. Rumors Fulham had a bid rejected a few years ago as well. I know Moyes scouted him at the USA/France game. My guess is most are waiting to see how he recovers and as luvdagame said, Stoke are trying to get in beforehand, as if Shea plays like he did in 2011, he's probably not ending up at Stoke.

15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Shea starts the season like its 2011, his price will only go up. Especially if his injury was the reason for his unproductive reason.

16. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    It annoys me like everyone else that MLS steps in after the teams accept a bid deemed ok by them. In this particular case, I think fcd gets the lions share of the $ because of Shea's homegrown status, and tenure with the org? Someone can correct if I'm wrong.

That said, I wonder if FCD is selling at the low. Shea can only improve on last season, and his value should increase with a good season. Lets not forget just how great he was 2 seasons ago. Having a healthy Ferriera alone is a serious upgrade for that team. They actually made a run at the playoffs after he came back. He might be the most important player to a team in the league. It wont surprise me if MLS and Stoke meet somewhere in the middle, maybe with some performance based incentives.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, not this month. He's just out of surgery. Which is why I think Stoke is being a little weird about this. It feels as though Stoke want a repeat of when they purchased Etherington who had a gambling addiction. They want to get a good player at a low price point and then rehab him. In Brek's case it's more of a post Olympics slump followed by a minor but persistent injury, nothing indicating prolonged suckitude, so really the smartest move is too wait for the summer. For Stoke, waiting that long may mean that they will be outbid.

18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    It doesn't annoy me. It strikes me as weird that a party that doesn't own the player's contract is saying what an acceptable price is. MLS owns the player's contract - they should be party to the negotiations up front or they should provide teams with player valuations and guidelines for negotiating. A team is stupid if they don't consult the league.

19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a gamble for both sides-- Stoke may be trying to buy a permanently broken player. MLS/FCD may be selling a League Best XI player (he has that talent) at a relatively low price. It's a gamble for MLS/FCD to not sell him- he may be broken and he clearly hates playing in Dallas (despite signing the new contract). Gambles abound.

20. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS cockblocking once again.

m vann repped this.
  22. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. If it was truly to "train / trial" then I would refuse as well. Definitely in the leagues best interest if that's the case. Per FCD, He can't even train until February anyway!!

23. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Did they issue that statement while he was on their field working out?

24. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are not disagreeing at all with it being on Shea then. He, or his management are complete idiots not to get such a clause explicitly stated in the contract he just signed.

For those who have a problem with MLS putting the kibosh on the deal, it is not their fault that Shea locked himself up for 3 more years to them, his value in a transfer fee right now is nowhere near the value for MLS as keeping him around for 3 more years and having the potential to command a much higher fee on top of that down the road.

MLS would be insane to sell him for that amount right now, which is why this is all on Shea and his management, resigning without a specific clause was absolute stupidity.

25. vponce75

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.3rddegree.net/2013/01/22/brek-watch-tuesday-update/

"Hyndman also said that Shea won’t be returning to training for at least 10 days at the
    earliest, news he had received earlier on Tuesday morning. And right after the rest of the team
    had entered the locker room following Tuesday’s morning session, here came Shea into the
    locker room to begin prepping for his afternoon rehab session.

So, at least from what we’ve seen the first two days of preseason, it doesn’t appear that
    Brek is heading out of town anytime soon. But unfortunately it also doesn’t look like he’ll be on
    the practice field for a full session any sooner than a week from now."