News: Welcome Brek: Potter (Brek Shea at Stoke/ On loan to Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomásbernal, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would a Belgian club drop that kind of money on a player that so many people here think sucks? Shea at least has the marketability of being a US player and former MLS star coming to this country. To a prospective Belgian club he's just another player.

HopperKowalski and Chance repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I think the reason why the rumor is Toronto, like Edu, Brek would have to go through the allocation process. Toronto currently holds the top spot in the allocation order, then it's Columbus and Dallas.

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't know much about MLS but it seems kind of jacked up that they can sign a MB and a Defoe and yet they are at the head of the line? Is MLS trying to make the east coast more relevant to go with its new franchise?

4. areathrasher

areathrasher Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada58 mins So that Brek Shea thing. It might actually have legs...

Hmm. Another angle which I don't think has been disscused is that Mark Hughes is Sheas boss at Stoke. The same Mark Hughes that managed Nelsen at Blackburn and signed him for QPR. Smells like a favour!

5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Why return back? Maybe he should try to stick it out at Stoke for more than one season? It takes most players at least a season to get adjusted to the league. Don't give up so easily.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be entirely up to him, though.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So far Shea has been a letdown from a PR perspective. His cause of his loan being terminated, posting pics of the pig incident. Not that it mattered to them and just his own life outside the game, but the pics of the guns probably ruffled feathers at the club or its critics.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That's very true, but I doubt Stoke is in the business of buying players then selling them off for less immediately. There are countless of examples of players who struggle their first season in England. Plus Shea is still relatively young. It would be foolish to leave only after one season in my opinion.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is not sent packing, he should stick it out and work harder to show he belongs. But he needs to take care of business, both on and off the field.

10. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I think a loan for summer to get into form for a possible fall recall to Stoke makes a lot of sense.

11. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A summer loan to MLS or maybe one of the Scandawegian countries? (unless the Scandawegian countries are taking a WC break)

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Shea would be playing in MLS while most of the other USMNT regulars are in Brazil.

Hmm, interesting I guess.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Those players did not have to go through the allocation process. Toronto was 3rd in the allocation order (based on the previous season standings), and Maurice Edu and Marco Pappa have already gone through allocation (teams can trade their allocation spot), so Toronto is up next since they had the 3rd worst record last season.

14. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Isn't there a FIFA rule against playing (or being eligible to play for) more than 3 teams in a set period of time?

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumors are about a loan to TFC, not a sale.

What makes you think Stoke is selling?

David Rowaan ‏@soccercanada 7h
    @BRUBromley him coming on loan back to MLS and TFC in specific.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Think that's an FA rule within England.

17. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brek was eligible for another loan to the Championship after his first went down in flames.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    This is in fact a FIFA rule:

Players may be registered with a maximum of three clubs during one season. During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. As an exception to this rule, a player moving between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (i.e. start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring) may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season, provided he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs. Equally, the provisions relating to the registration periods (article 6) as well as to the minimum length of a contract (article 18 paragraph 2) must be respected.
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/aff...e_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

Frankball and ielag repped this.
  19. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010

Thanks, so this potential loan would be Brek's max 3rd club.​

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    so what will Brek (MENSA) Shea do in Toronto? Pose with a chainsaw after cutting down some old maples in the city square?

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Well, I’ll say they’re just rumors,” Nelsen told reporters at Tuesday’s training session. “I’m lucky enough to have a pretty good relationship with his boss. I’d say that before even Brek knows what he’s doing, [Stoke City manager Mark Hughes and I] will probably have that conversation, so we’ll see what we can do.”

Toronto FC general manager Tim Bezbatchenko also weighed in on Shea, and he was more assertive, saying, "Yeah, 100 percent [we'd be interested]," Bezbatchenko told the Toronto Sun. "I mean, Brek Shea is a dynamic US international. I think you'd take any of these guys seriously."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/10/brek-shea-toronto-fc-remains-just-rumor

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  22. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto is this season's pet team. Watch out Seattle, it's 2007 again.

23. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What's there not to like about a team with temperate summer temperature for home games and real grass on the field? Do Montreal and Vancouver have grass on their fields too?

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Latest on the Brek Shea rumour, Toronto had been in touch with Stoke over taking Shea, a few weeks back, once the UK loan market closed. They made a move asking to take Brek on loan for the rest of the uk season, but they would only take Brek, if Stoke would allow Shea to leave permanently, at the end of the loan, if he impressed enough.
    As i gather Stoke, don't want to sell Brek, and even though the story is only just hitting the media, this is old news, in respect of Stoke City "

StokeLoud&Proud https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-Loud-Proud/180190115388888

Tom Collingsworth, Winoman and bungadiri repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess that it's positive that Stoke still sees a future for him there.