News: Welcome Brek: Potter (Brek Shea at Stoke/ On loan to Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomásbernal, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was just posted in YA Winter Transfers thread. Unsubstantial clearly, but interesting no less considering where it's coming from. Being looked at as a left back? What do folks think about this.

Pl@ymaker and HartwickFan repped this.
  2. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    The Geoff Cameron effect?

Pl@ymaker and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  3. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I read the LB comment as entirely speculation on Twellman's part.

Fulham is the one team I remember being linked strongly with Shea in the past. Don't know how interested they still are, if that was indeed real.

4. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I'll just throw my random hat in the ring and say Aston Villa...god knows they are in terrible need of attacking gumption from all outside positions

5. HopperKowalski

Aug 16, 2012
  6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Twellman someone that is usually in the know?

Well I assume some club is betting they could get him at a cut rate price due to his slump. Fulham would be nice.

I don't know how MLS/FC Dallas would respond to an offer though.

7. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've decided to believe that FCD responds to all transfer offers by saying, "Look, you're 20% under reasonable value. But remember that we're throwing in a year of free Pizza Hut. And that includes delivery."

INKRO and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Susaeta? that user always claimed Shea was a LB.

I think he is one of those players who has to attack. Just how he is wired. Don't think he is capable as anything but out and out attacker. In fact I would play him the way Spurs play Ade where he is a hold up man who can go right/left wing as well.

at any rate, I would want Shea attacking the goal rather than defending it.

9. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    This is the first time I can recall him kicking off a rumor, which probably lends to his credibility. He's not an idle chatterer.

Left back? I don't know. He's kind of a poor man's Gareth Bale and Bale started at LB. Obviously Brek is behind his developmental curve, but it wouldn't be terrible. Fab plays LM at Hoffenheim, so if Brek pans out there, he could slot in behind Fab. I concur w/Sam in that I'd keep him in the attack.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well it is true that FCD allowed their best centerback at the time, George John, go on trial at Blackburn in the middle of their season a while ago. Basically putting a big hole in their backline. Then he came back, and they allowed him to go on loan to West Ham.

FCD just so rarely has any players worthy of an interesting Euro transfer rumor that we dont' know what to do with ourselves!!!!

If the price is right, I think they'd sell Brek Shea. I mean, his production last year was significantly less impactful than it was the previous season (when he finished in the top 3 in MVP voting). Yes, people blame his foot problems. But it just didn't seem like he had the same fire as well.

I can tell you that FCD is hard up against the salary cap (there's reportedly another forward coming from Mexico too). If the transfer is coming from a premier league club, then we at least need to entertain the notion of selling him. It's not like the Brek Shea of 2012 is irreplaceable.

As far as defense goes, we've talked about it ad naseum. Brek does have a defender's body. He's 6'3", meaning he's taller than a guy like Gareth Bale by a couple of inches. He has the necessary pace and trickeration to play on the wing in MLS, but I don't have a problem if people want to doubt whether he does at a higher level like the premier league. Remember that FCD and Schellas even experimented with Brek at centerback for a short period. And Brek did play some left back a few years ago while the club was still looking for an ideal position for him.

INKRO repped this.
  11. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    He's got a CB's body, but I don't know too many fullbacks with his height.

neems repped this.
  12. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Off the top of my head, the only clubs I can think who need a LB are Villa, Fulham (Riise is off), Wigan or Stoke perhaps

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Plus, he and Shellas aren't exactly the best of buds.

In fairness, left fullback in the EPL is a different position than in MLS - some top EPL wide men spend 2/3rd of their time in the opponent's half.

14. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    :)

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Perhaps some clubs are taking notice of a certain really successful, tall fullback at Stoke and want to replicate that feat? ;)

neems and HartwickFan repped this.
  16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What I think has really perked up EPL attention is that Cameron went straight into the lineup. Typically, MLS field players have needed about a year before they were deemed ready. Also, they saw an above average MLS player with a few caps to his name slot immediately into the EPL. In addition, his development is 100% typical MLS background. No ex-pro dad. No European background. No U-20 or U-23 youth team experience. In essence, Cameron is nearly exclusively an MLS product. I'd have to say that we may see much more attention from EPL.

Dirt McGirt, m vann and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    TaylorTwellman
    Stoke and FC Dallas have come to terms for the sale of Brek Shea. Pending on 2 days of physical testing he will be sold to EPL. $3.5m range

18. mogollon

mogollon Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Lol, yep. And that club was...Stoke.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey substitute college for MLS experience and you described me. So you are giving me, at 30 yrs. old, hope of latching on and starting for an EPL side. Can you be my agent??? ;) :D

soccersubjectively repped this.
  20. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's ready, Stoke is a bad move IMO. This will not help his passing. A lot of people will jump for joy because it's EPL and they get to watch him.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  21. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Etherington play the position that Shea would play? I hope this doesn't end with him rotting on the bench for a year.

22. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not sure if good move or not. He would be moving to a club where he could get minutes and hopefully improve.

23. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to be proven wrong, but so far on twitter people are calling this a great move solely due to it's the EPL. Not a good fit for his development at this time IMO.

24. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stoke currently goes with something like this:​
    Begovic​
    Cameron - Shawcross - Huth - Wilkinson​
    Walters - Whelan - N'Zonzi - Adam - Etherington​
    Jones​

Maybe he could slot in at Walters' slot in an inverted role since Walters is essentially playing out of position in the midfield. Walters is a TP favorite if I recall correctly though.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he went to the trouble to get that Norwegian passport he is supposed to be qualified for.