Weird News Thread Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Nov 20, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Eh, I'll save the death penalty for murderers. Mom is one effed-up bitch though.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Welch {waitress} also isn't buying Bell's {"minister"} embarrassment. “If this person wrote the note, obviously they wanted it seen by someone," she said. “I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the Big Man used as reasoning."​

I'd boycott Applebees. If there was ever a way in hell I would go to one again.

ElasticNorseman repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As your note suggests, the food alone is generally enough to do the trick.

Boloni86, guignol and NER_MCFC repped this.
  5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i think we all see the moral paradox of someone who considers himself a christian being so uncharitable. but i want to take a minute to point out a flaw in pastor bell's logic that is indicative of the way Christians™ "think".

when he says he gives god 10%, he means 10% of his total income. whereas the 18% is only calculated on his applebee's check.

Christians™ normally should consider their souls more important than their bodies. now who among us would trust their body to a doctor with such limited powers of reasoning?

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and NER_MCFC repped this.
  6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "minister" presides over one of those strip mall churches, and is a chick.

Those two strikes had her out even before she showed how greedy she really is.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Are females cheaper tippers than males, overall? I think so ...

8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, in my hometown in downstate IL, there were a couple of restaurants where my mom was treated like a queen. I think it was because she tipped 20% whenever service was competent. She was living off social security and a state pension.

WARNING: ANECDOTE AHEAD! When my brother managed a restaurant in the French Quarter, he learned that it was a dead heat in the race to be the worst tippers. One year NOLA hosted (at different times) both the GOP convention and that of the AMA. It was so hard to get the staff to come in by the last nights of both conventions that he and the owners considered closing for the night.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The best tippers I would guess are former waiters. I briefly drove a taxi, so I treat cabbies great.

No Tippin' Pippen belongs on your list.

guignol repped this.
  10. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The check was autograted because it was a party of 8+. That the autograt percentage still only was going to get the waitress less than 7 bucks means the group was especially cheap with their orders too.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    IIRC, it was a $35 check for 5 adults & 5 children! I asked earlier in this thread, did they order water & fries?
    It also bears repeating, that the fired employee, was not the waitress who actually served the table. She took it upon herself, to copy the check & post it on Reddit. There was a claim by the pastor, that she paid the tip in cash, becuase she didn't want the 3% credit card fee deducted from the tip. I'll believe that, as soon as she reveals her tax returns, showing 10% of her income as charitable contributions ...

12. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I'm guessing she'll have to withstand some pretty robust trolling over the next several months.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A glass of water with 10 straws, please!!!

14. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "10 glasses of water, please"
    "You want fries with that?"
    "OK, but I'm not tipping 18%."

dapip repped this.
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My mom did actually work at at drive in diner back in the day.

Several times when my wife and I would be at the Modern Language Association conference, we'd have a waitperson ask us what convention this was. They would talk about how good the tips were (I can recall that happening in Chicago, DC and San Diego) .I think your theory probably applies there, as well. Not to see we didn't have our cheapskates and wankers, but in general, most places didn't mind getting slammed by us.

A drawback to an MLA conventkion of course is the local Hooters is going to struggle for four days.

soccernutter repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When it comes to vice, Republicans beat English professors every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. OK vice that costs money.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    even in the old handwritten days some restaurants i worked in added 15% to big parties because the anonymity of who's paying what almost guaranteed getting stiffed. no complaints either, in fcat i think a lot of customers appreciated the practice... because most people don't mind tipping, they just feel like fools to tip their share and have their skiving friends/colleagues get them pinned as cheapskates anyway.

i used to work in a restaurant in a hotel in monterey in which roughly half the business was bus tours, mostly foreign tourists who mostly don't have the custom of tipping american style in their countries and although some tourists take the trouble to familiarize themselves with local customs and act accordingly, a custom like tipping is easy to "overlook". the problem had been solved before i started there by having the tour companies pay for everything, including gratuities and give the folks chits to pay with.

just to voice an old gripe though, many of the tourists came from another hemisphere, one where they have xmas in summer, and they were so horrible that the hotel ended up making a separate dining room for the bus tours to protect the other customers from serious disturbance and even injury, and work in that dining room received a different hourly payrate. it was the only way the place could keep staff.

18. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

I used to have that issue traveling internationally a lot. When I remembered I would go back and apologize*. If you can't tip properly there are plenty of places to go where you are not required to tip.

NSFW

*I was a former waiter.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The only time I am a bad tipper is with the hotel bellhops who march up and grab your bags without asking if that is what you wish. They are the costumed equivalent of the guy at the stoplight who squeegees windshields.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exact conversation I had with Mrs. Soccernutter.

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they also need the tips. Have you ever spoken to a bellhop? Those guys make the same as the cashiers at McD's, yet see us come in and pay $200+/room/night. Personally, I frequent those places so little that I have no clue as the tip etiquitte.

What do you tip a bellhop?

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't know if the same applies but for the bag carriers at the airport or the port is $1 per bag. I think I've never paid $200 per night although I've stayed at some fancy hotels (thanks Hotwire.com!!!)

23. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    a knotty question that has been much on my mind. the only time i stayed at a hotel with bellhops i gave the guy $1 a bag (that was 10 years ago) and he nearly threw it at me.

at airports i tell the skycaps not to touch the bags, that i'm not giving anything. those are the squeegee guys in my book.

24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    It is nice to check in at the curb and not haul baggage to the line, then inch it along. the skycaps can do your boarding pass at the same time, so thats worth a ten spot to me.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I gladly tip $5 or $10 to get my bags checked quickly and not wait in a line behind someone hauling multiple bags and trying to get his multi-stop ticket changed.

Also, I don't mind tipping bellboys.