Review: Weekly MLS Power Rankings.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Mar 14, 2012.

1. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Jough I love what your are doing here with these graphs and all, but for those of us who are color blind they are impossible to read.

2. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be honest even those with color perfection are not much better off.

I have encountered wed services the host interactive graphs, that highlight a line as the mouse hovers over it. anyone know of any offhand? It would be very helpful for this type of thing.

3. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any one knows of any good graphing tools or services I'd be happy to look into it. Excel is just easiest for me, but I'm always up for a new adventure.

Speaking of a new adventure, let's check the numbers for this week, shall we?
    week24.jpg
    I actually found that the calculations were missing a cell, so it's possible that the weekly delta doesn't match up with what was posted earlier, but after double checking everything, these rankigns look right.

DC just barely holding on to that second spot but they're probably trending down enough that they'll need some big wins to hold on to it. San Jose shows that they're mortal...

Montreal starting to get the love they deserve, as is Seattle and Chicago. Salt Lake City probably falling into line with how they're playing as well.

I've got a crazy travel schedule coming up the next couple of weeks but I'm gonna try to stay on top of this as best I can.

4. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hell, why not. Updated SHFR graph. If you want the ranking graph, let me know.

shfr-week24.jpg

5. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hooooookay, some new numbers this week. DC continues to slide, Montreal and Vancouver are about to switch places, Seattle is rocketing up the charts and Toronto is... well... Toronto.​

week25.jpg

The ever handy SHFR trend chart...

shfrweek25.jpg

Annnd, as a special treat, I also tried to put together a flavor of the week chart, which is basically the same ranking system except it's only looking back over the last five games, instead of the entire season. So while say Montreal may look a bit low and DC a bit high, you can get a better sense of how they've played over the last month or so.

fotwweek25.jpg

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering if their goal dif was better or what?

11. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, apologies for dodging a week... wound up going to Las Vegas and... well, we all know the saying.

The good news was the international break meant only the need to update one weekends worth of games (I'll do a combined ranking after next weekend), so really not that much more work. Just had to be careful I didn't miss any matches or double count everything, but I think I'm good.

Here's the numbers for all games through September 2nd. Hard to think back a week (well, for some of us anyway), but if anything looks wrong let me know and I'll check it out. DC still dropping and Seattle still climbing. Chivas are gonna be hurting soon too... well, more so, anyway.

week26.jpg

The usual pretty-and-increasingly-dificult-to-read graph

shfrweek26.jpg

And the new and not-at-all-improved Flavor of the Week info (the same rating system as the season long rankings, except only over the last five matches).

fotw26.jpg

12. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, kind of sort of on time this week... I give myself an A++ for that.

Anyway, every time I feel like DC is ready to fully correct themselves they pull something off... soooo... DC still ranked a bit high this week. Outside of that, things look pretty good. Of course I'm gonna say SKC is a bit high as well, but it's more their future schedule that worries me than anything.

Speaking of which, premeptive apology for being late next week, I'm going to New York for the SKC match and won't be back until late in the week. Which would actually give me enough time to do everything except that I'm pretty lazy...

That said, here's the numbers...

week27.jpg

Flavor of the week...

week27fotw.jpg

Annnnd of course the ever-increasingly-hard-to-read chart...

week27shfr.jpg

13. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So first an apology. I actually thought I was doing great by finishing these up this morning, but then IR ealied there was a mistake in my last ratings. Had the wrong cell selected for one match for almost every team. So the good news is that since it was applied uniformly to every team it didn't make a huge difference upon correction, but there were a few correction. RSL down one instead of down two, columbus down one instead of no chance, chivas down two instead of down one and philadelphia no change instead of up one.

I'm not gonna repost those ratings (unless some one really wants them), but the corrected values are incorporated into this weeks ratings, which should be "accurate", whatever "accurate power rating" means...

Also this is gonna start getting easier to manage as the season winds down so I'm gonna start compiling some stats for teams. If any one has any requests for info they'd like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can grab.

Anyway, at Week 28 not a lot of surprises. New York starting to look like they're rated too high (though their fans seem to be their harshest critics, I still think they're a very solid team), DC starting to look like maybe they belong in the top five after all, and no surprises in the bottom. LA probably has time to climb a bit higher as well, but ratings are starting to level out across the board.

First off, the ratings.

week28.jpeg

Flavor of the week numbers are unsurprising, Chicago and LA playing dominantly as of late along with San Jose.

week28fotw.jpeg

And, last and least, the season long graph. I may need to truncate this in coming weeks, but we'll see... I sort of like the big version myself, to be honest, but it is getting pretty unwiedly to look at.

week28shfrgraph.jpeg

15. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season's coming to an end and while rankings are starting to solidify, there was a little movement in the middle this week. Gonna be an interesting mad scramble into the playoffs for a bunch of teams, so this October should be a lot of fun.

I also learned that an excel function can only hold 30 arguments. Easy enough to work around but I'm now in new Excel territory for myself. So that's exciting.

DC manges to crawl over Chicago and reclaim their #4 slot, and NY stays third after ripping apart TFC. Dallas is up a spot, mostly on the continued slide of Vancouver. San Jose still looks to be untouchable.

Toronto drops below 60,000, which is impressive.

Here's the full table.

week29.jpeg

The graph is next. RSL turning a corner?

shfrgraphweek29.jpeg

And, lastly though not leastly, the flavor of the week rankings. LA finally claims the #1 spot, even with a draw, and Chicago still sitting at #3 despite the loss. Chivas overtakes Toronto as the biggest pushover recently. So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

week29fotw.jpeg

Who knows what these numbers will really mean come playoffs. Well, actually, we all probably know they'll be meaningless. I will note though that I did keep track of the Euro teams going into Euro2012 with a very similar system and it panned out okay. It actually totally called the Dutch collapse which I thought was neat, so while the actual rankings are going to end once the season does, I'll keep an eye on how teams perform relative to each other. Should be fun!

Sachsen and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  16. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .gif files this week for some reason, because why the hell not? Only two weeks left and I can't imagine a scenario where San Jose doesn't end up #1 in the rankings on the season. At least nothing that doesn't involve fire and brimstone.

DC is playing like they mean it and New York is slumping at the wrong time. Chicago trying to challenge as well. Everything else more or less stays the same, except for Philly finally hoping Colorado.

week30shfr.gif

San Jose dominating both charts this week as they become the flavor of the week. LA drops to #3 and Chicago back up to #4. Kansas City seemingly comfortable at the #4 slot, and Chivas is just terrible.

week30fotw.gif

And now the charty-chartchart. San Jose about to break through the top again, and RSL starting to look pretty good on the upswing.

week30shfrgraph.gif

DC06 repped this.
  18. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprised to see our jump from 7th to 3rd. I'd rate us in between at roughly 5th best side in the league. Of course, that matters little in playoffs as history has shown.

21. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually take this as a little vindication of the maths I've been playing around with :cool:

I mean, not really, but I do think the MLS talking heads are too quick to heap praise on teams they think should be good after two good performances, while happily writing off quality teams they think should be "poor" after a few bad weeks. I think almost everyone forgets just how long the MLS season really is...

DC06 repped this.
  22. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooooo another week late. I think I might be pregnant...

Anyway, I just slopped together last weeks numbers. Let's go to the board.

Barely worth showing rankings this week, the only change was New York and Chicago switch positions. Everyone else is elbowing, but I don't think much will change next week.

week31.jpg

DC is certainly making their case that they're a force even without DeRo. I personally feel claims of their death were greatly exagerated, and as an SKC fan, they're the team I least want to face in the playoffs.

Here's the chart.

week31shfrgraph.jpg

And, finally, our weekly flavor of the week! San Jose gets the double this week and really have to be a favorite for the MLS Cup. I really thought somewhere along the line their offense would slow down... but who knows. Team of destiny???

week31fotw.jpg