Week 3 Attendance Predictions (and week 2 results)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Apr 10, 2005.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    The MLS people just got lazy after the Salt Lake game.

"Oh, just put 12,000 and change for everything else." :p

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

They fired Peter Wilt. Who knows what's going on in Manhattan. :D

Seriously though, did you see the second tier? Full.

Unless there wasn't anyone on the camera side, I stand by my doubts.

3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Well, they should have a sellout next week.

Of course, that game is technically a Galaxy home game.

Actually, that's probably what'll account for most of the sellout.

4. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Stand wherever you like.

Ask yourself what's more likely:

A club that just made a very controversial management change is going to under-report attendance at its first home game after said management change; or

You can't estimate the size of a crowd from watching it on TV.

Hmmmmmmmm. That's a poser.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I'll go with vast anti-Soccer conspiracy.

MLS is trying to keep itself down! :D

6. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My stupid comments:
    Chivas - Goats indeed!
    RSL - Nice start, sent them home happy, let's see next week.
    Crew - looked like more. They've reported 15K w/ no one in the upper tank before!
    Metro - ...... :rolleyes:
    Fire - Was at the game, figure seems accurate.

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

*sharp elbow in the ribs*

Shutuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

8. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the finally attendance tally for Week 3 is...

DCU @ CLB - 12,449
    COL @ RSL - 25,278
    KC @ Metro - 12,548
    SJ @ CHI - 12,907
    FCD @ CUSA - 12,697

Avg. - 15,176

9. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There wasn't more than a hundred or so on the camera side except for the far corners, Although I was a little surprised I thought they would announce at least 14,000.When you look at crowds in Ny and columbus and see so many empty seats at least in chicago there are people in the seats closer to amounts announced.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Just call the one Bad Guppy and the other ... uh ... Slow Guppy.

11. smcg

smcg New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Minnesota
    I'm not going to give up on Chivas after two games completely but they've been very very disapointing. They've had media attention,hype, and a good stadium right?? they really really need to get it together

If this experiment dosen't work out I'm convinced we won't be able to draw masses of hispanics for another 20 years
    If they really loved the game they'd come and watch, If I lived in Germany I'd go watch their hockey even if it is inferior

12. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    No, I am petrified. I know it's only 3 weeks in, but I'm about to hit the panic button. It seems to me Chicago, New England, Metro, KC, Colorado and Columbus are all going to drop this year attendance-wise. DC and LA will prolly stay strong, but I can't see them improving a lot. RSL may do well, but Chivas isn't looking like a monster draw...

I seriously am starting to think we'll be lucky to average over 13k this season, and will a league with dropping attendance really be appealing to new owners for expansion? Will that encourage Phil to keep spending money? I'm nervous as hell... I keep trying to dismiss each week's poor numbers as a fluke but 3 weeks in and still nothing other than RSL to put a smile on my face. (I expected strong showings early for DC and LA Galaxy).

I see at this point absolutely no reason to believe numbers will improve back towards last year's mean. As you point out, the trend is an attendance dip in the summer. We've already seen enough games under 10k this year and they were home openers....

13. mr.acorn

mr.acorn New Member

Jul 22, 2001
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    My thoughts on Week 3...

DC@C-bus....Even though the numbers were disappointing, I thought the atmosphere was pretty good...certainly played well on TV

Col@RSL....About what I expected....interesting to see what they'll get on their next home date

KC@Metro.....Do they have any doubleheaders coming up?

SJ@Chi.....Probably the bummer of the week....I thought they'd at least break the 14K mark

Dall@Chivas....They may actually have more of an impact on the road...especially in Colorado,Dallas and Chicago.

Well, anyone pissing about this week's numbers better break out the Jack and Coke now.......Next week we have Metro on friday night on the deuce as well as games in Dallas,Colorado and San Jose.

It could get ugly......

14. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL - Good crowd. Looked good on TV.

Chicago - Looked like a good-sized crowd on TV. But cut them a break - they have a big doubleheader next week.

Goats - May want to re-think ticket pricing strategy. General admission?

Metros - Lack of buzz going on ten years now.

Columbus - Why did they play on a Friday night? Was this a TV decision? IMO, C-bus is the league leader in attendance padding. Last night - no exception.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Chivas needs a better team. They suck. They obviously have a good number of hardcore fans, and potential fans who I bet would be there for a good team.

I'm not ready to start worrying yet. As long as MLS averages 14,000-15,000 for the year, it's fine. If you draw the same numbers in your own stadium, it's a lot better than leasing out an NFL stadium. Building stadiums is more important than getting a few thousand more fans right now.

Oh, BTW: Move MLS :p

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    If the west (TV) side was that empty, then 12,907 is just about what I'd expect for a figure.

Looking at it on TV, and basing my judgement on the 13 times I've seen the Fire play at the new Soldier Field, I was going to say 15,500 for an attendance. But that was before I knew the West side was that E-M-P-T-Y.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your worried about Colorado after one match on a night where 18 inches of snow was dumped on the Denver area?

18. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    If it makes you feel any better, he's worried about Chicago, after 1 game of attendance.

19. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  20. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the panic button do? Hopefully something useful, like call up the Metros (or whoever your team is) and order extra season tickets.

Seriously, though, what is there to panic about? Trying to make any sort of judgement about a 32 game season after just 3 games is foolish, whether you're judging on-field performance or off-field performance.

Please keep in mind that Columbus, LA, and soon Dallas will all have soccer stadiums. MLS won't fold, they're too close to making money. There's no need to panic.

21. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly does this mean? You think they're just making up numbers for some magical reason? You do realize that Columbus led the league in season ticket sales for years, right? (until HDC came along, I think)

Attendance is tickets sold, not butts in the seats. I'm sure I was just 1 (2 actually) of many season ticket holders that couldn't make it to the game on Friday night. So we were all counted as part of the attendance, even though we weren't there, because we all paid our money to the Crew this past winter. But I guess a SJ fan wouldn't know much about season tickets. Hope I enlightened you.

22. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    So was this the lowest attended MLS regular/post season game ever at the HDC?

23. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. The previous low was 13,867 on Wed, 6/18/03.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Chicago will pick up.

I've never understood when Columbus fans decide to show up and when they don't, but they generally turn out OK despite some puzzlers.

The head-scratcher is Chivas. I still think they'll lead the league in road attendance unless the Freddy Factor continues for D.C. But where are all the supposed Chivas die-hards in L.A.? Can't tell too much after two games, but if this keeps up, I wonder if the Pumas and America rumors will die down a bit.

25. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    yeah-- Chicago probably concentrated their selling on the doubleheader-- so fair enough. That's one that we should wait until they've had at least 4 or so games before giving up on the season entirely...