Week 11 results (10/29-11-4)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UCLA beats a plucky Stanford team 2-1 in OT. Fernando Monge withe game winner.

The Bruins are now 12-2-2, 7-1 in the Pac-12. That vaults them past Washington (11-4-3, 6-1-2 in the conference) for 1st place.

UCLA finises with Cal and San Diego State. Yoo-Dub plays Oregon State. UCLA is in the driver's seat, needing only a win in one of their final games or or a Washington loss to guarantee the Pac-12 championship and automatic bid.

2. should be working

Apr 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both/and?

3. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    But Akron is not in the Big Ten as they are crap institution in a crap league... So no. And keep riding this high horse, pretty sure the days are numbered.

4. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Someone's a little bitter.

I guess you never heard of polymers

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No not at all. SDST just won their first game in conference play but I believe from what I heard CAL dominated play. Supposedly Kyle Lunt hit the post and from what I heard, 2-3 (valid) goals were called back for offside. I don't really know the criteria for the selections but I seriously doubt though Cal will have been elected to the NCAA's though as a 3rd place team behind UW & UCLA anyway. No way they could have as they really are all that talented.....

7. torwart

torwart Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hey, I haven't seen it on here yet but Maryland lost 4-2 at Wake last night. I didn't get to see the game due to work but from what I hear Wake was the better team (I would love to hear what everyone thought? People are going to say Sasho has to be worried with how Maryland has been playing but let's cut that nonsense out. Maryland is a great team- Wake just had a better night and sorted out the game from what I've read and heard.

8. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a general question, so don't tar and feather me for it. But, if WVU doesn't make the tournament, will the WVU HC be on the hot seat? This seemed like the year they would break through in a big way, but its turned out to be similar to the last 3 years. But, I don't know what the expectations are for his program.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    head to head is the tie-breaker. penn state would get the bye.

10. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I watched the second half. I'm a UNC fan, and even I'll say that the red card for Woodberry looked harsh--it was difficult to see what exactly happened. Wake looked like the better team, but then again, Maryland played with 10 men for the last 25 minutes and pushed everyone up, so there was more space for Wake to work with.
    The good news for Maryland is that the ACC tournament for whatever reason includes every team. So NC State and Virginia Tech will play at Ludwig on Monday afternoon, with the winner getting Maryland Tuesday night. Although there have been some upsets for an 8 vs. 1, it's usually nothing more than a glorified exhibition where the #1 seed can just sub often and run down the 8/9 team. Maybe that game will help Maryland get back on track?

11. PlayForKeeps

PlayForKeeps Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Middle America
    Just sick of you all turning everything into Akron thread. Go sit in your crap league forum and talk about your time at the top that is quickly passing. Karma is a mofo, and it's not gonna be pretty moving forward

12. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want it to be one way. You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.

AkronsBobert repped this.
  13. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    WTF is your problem

14. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    God forbid the #2 (and possible #1) college soccer team would be talked about in a college soccer forum.

Also love the "Karma is a mofo" comment. All us Akron fans terrorizing the country by talking about our team definitely deserve something bad to happen to us.

jays_soccer_fan and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    I caught about 60 minutes of the game and a couple things spoke out to me. This is the first game I've seen Maryland play, but I thought Dakota Edwards as a whole had an atrocious game, especially defensively. There were three times he tried to screen a ball out in his box and the Wake player easily cut underneath him, one of which lead to a goal. Woodberry was a beast back there and Maryland will be dying to get him back after he serves his suspension from the red card. At least in the second half, Wake was able to force several giveaways in the midfield and this kept Maryland on their heels the entire half. I assume this was just an off-night for Maryland, because they just had a lot of trouble connecting passes, and had so many unforced turnovers. As for Wake they got beat with the long time twice with their centerbacks being so slow to react. One lead to Maryland's second goal, the other lead to a one-on-one with the keeper that Maryland should have put away. Overall Wake was the better team.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The few times I've seen Maryland, I haven't been impressed with their passing. What seemed to make them arguably the best team in the country is that they're very dangerous individually.

17. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    They have a lot of weapons and transition VERY quickly. If you win the ball you had better have an idea about what to do next as MD attacks the ball in a flash.

Hararea repped this.
  18. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The MAC went 7-3-1 against the Big10 this year

8/29/12 Bowling Green vs Michigan State 1 - 2
    9/6/12 West Virginia at Penn State 0 - 0
    9/7/12 Akron vs Indiana 1 - 0
    9/21/12 Western Michigan at Michigan State 1 - 2
    10/10/12 Bowling Green at Ohio State 0 - 2
    10/10/12 Akron at Penn State 2 - 0
    10/16/12 Akron vs Michigan 1 - 0
    10/23/12 Bowling Green at Michigan 2 - 0
    10/23/12 Akron at Ohio State 1 - 0
    10/24/12 Northern Illinois at Northwestern 1 - 0
    10/31/12 Akron at Michigan State 1 - 0

Akron 5-0-0
    Bowling Green 1-2-0
    Northern Illinois 1-0-0
    Western Michigan 0-1-0
    West Virginia 0-0-1

Indiana 0-1-0
    Michigan 0-2-0
    Michigan State 2-1-0
    Northwestern 0-1-0
    Ohio State 1-1-0
    Penn State 0-1-1

19. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This,IMHO, is the difference between coaching and recruiting styles between Porter and Sasho...Sasho looks for and tries to sign the best players...Caleb looks for and signs players that best fit his system....At some point..

Not looking for a debate....but...I also think you can mold pkayers to a system faster than you can mold a system to the players

Hararea repped this.
  20. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  21. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    this comes down to how malleable the players and coaches are....

some players play one way

some coaches coach one way

from what I have seen coaches tend to work toward one style ....and recruit solely to fit that style

there is the interesting wrinkle where a program ventures off in a new direction with the rise of a skilled assistant coach and then goes adrift with the departure of this same assistant (and his skill set)

22. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Wholeheartedly agree with both of these statements. UMD as a team hasn't impressed me, UMD as a collection of players has blown me away.

23. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not so sure about the one style.....Ive been around UMD soccer for 3 years....the system and formations I see withthis set of players barely resembles the style of pkay from 3 years ago....As the players are getting more sophisticated....so is the system...UMD played much more direct a few years ago compared to now....which is still heavy attack...but not as direct

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

It's not a bad style of play, just one that wouldn't be possible without unlimited substutions.

25. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah....maybe not....I often think they win by attrition....I consider them a second half team....mostly for that reason...Still....fun to watch and been succesful...on many leveks...for a long time