Week 11 results (10/29-11-4)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Harmonize

Harmonize New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    34 RPI and a win vs Michigan St this weekend puts them at .500. Are they in the same conversation with Rutgers?

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    *Playing Michigan State will cause their RPI to drop, win or lose.

*They'd still have to win at least one game in the Big Ten tournament so that they'd be over .500 with a loss there.

My hunch is if they come out of the Big Ten tourney with a winning record - not .500, but over it - that they'd get in. That means making the finals.

I don't think a .500 record and an RPI in the mid-30's gets them in. The Cleveland State and Bowling Green losses really hurt the Wolverines.

3. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    The shut outs continue as Akron beats MSU 1-0

4. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do the shout outs - Vamos mis Zippos !

bisbee repped this.
  5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Cal Poly (10-6-1) beats UC Davis (8-6-4) by a score of 1-0 on a Mackenzie Pridham goal.

Meanwhile, Sacramento State (8-7-2) lost to UC Santa Barbara (10-5-3) 2-1 behind goals from Cesar Castillo and Charlie Miller.

All four teams have one conference game left and Davis is still in first place with 18 points (6-3) and Poly and Sac State (both 5-3-1) have 16 points, tied for 2nd in the BW North. UCSB (4-4-1) has 13 points and could tie both Poly and Sac State for 2nd but are barred for post-season.

Sac State finishes @UC Davis and Poly finishes hosting UCSB. Only the top two teams in the division make the BW Tournament so I'm not sure what the tie-breaker is if Sac State and Poly finish with the same amount of points.

BTW, UCSB fans will note, with irony, that Davis got a bench red card at the end of the game, presumably for bitching at the ref.

6. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    What?! This is HORRIBLE!!! Where were the cops?! Ban them!!! This is not the way soccer should be played!!! :rolleyes:

jays_soccer_fan and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memphis with a HUGE 3-1 result against UAB.

8. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    To The Gauchos... Thanks for getting the win today :)

Love (for today only and probably never again),
    A CP fan

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Soph. Kelmend Islami with a goal and an assist as Marquette beats Cincinnati 3-0 in the 1st round of the Big East Tourney. R-Fr. centerback Axel Sjoberg's 7th goal of the season was the game-winner and Sr. Andy Huftalin, who began the season with 3 career goals, added his 10th of the season.

Incidentally, if you like contrasts, Islami is listed at 5-5; Sjoberg is listed at 6-7.

10. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    On a side note, Cal Poly had 25 fouls. That is very, very rare for them to get that many in 90 minutes. They also had 4 YC's. I'm a bit stunned they played so physical it seems.

Sandon, I think you asked about Canadian Mackenzie Pridham a year ago, wondering why he wasn't playing very much? Well, he has turned it on with 11 goals this season. It's not just the number but how he plays in front of goal. He is very good at dealing with big, physical centerbacks and he is also very good at turning and finishing. The best forward we have had at CP since I started following them maybe 6-7 years ago.

11. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCF beats Kentucky 1 nil.

FLaves repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mackenzie Pridham may be Canadian but he pretty much grew up in Cupertino Ca and went to Bellarmine College Prep (HS) in San Jose, Calif. He played for former NASL forward Chris Dangerfield at the DeAnza Force youth team......

CCSoccerFan repped this.
  13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    But Pridham's coach never got any respect! :D

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With UCSB's self-ban from postseason play, tiebreaking and postseason scenarios pretty much go down like this:

The Winner of the Sac State-UC Davis game gets the #1 seed in the BW north.

Sac State has the advantage in any tiebreaker scenario with Cal Poly. They tied and defeated Cal Poly in their two meetings this year.

Cal Poly has the tiebreaker over UC Davis. They swept Davis this year.

A UC Davis tie clinches a spot in the BW tournament. A loss and a Cal Poly win knocks Davis out of the conference tourney, and probably the NCAAs as well.

Cal Poly earns the #1 seed with a win over UCSB and a Davis tie. UCD then becomes the #2 seed and Sac State is eliminated.

15. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Cal State Northridge clinched the top spot in the Big West and improved their overall record to 13-5-0 in a 1-0 win over visiting Cal State Fullerton. Beto Velasquez scored the game's only goal. The junior transfer from Virginia Tech hooked a free kick into the corner of the net in the 36th minute.

Then Northridge for some reason decided to sit back and say to the Titans, "take your best shot." And that's what the Titans did... 17 shots. Six of made it on goal but were all stopped by senior goalkeeper Michael Abalos.

It was a somewhat physical game, with 33 total fouls called by former USSR Premier League referee Alex Gorin. 17 of the fouls were called on Fullerton but there was only one yellow card given to each team.

Cal State Northridge closes out the regular season against UC Irvine, which has not won a road game since August 24th and are 1-14-1 since their 3-0-0 start. Even if they lose on Senior Night, CSUN is guaranteed the top spot in the Big West Tournament, but a win could help their tournament seeding.

Hararea repped this.
  16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Beto Velasquez, a transfer from Virginia Tech (one of many), scored his 8th of the season and Cal State Northridge improves to 12-5-0 with a 1-0 win over Cal State Fullerton (7-11-1).

Meanwhile, UC Riverside (10-7-0) won a wild-one over UC Irvine (4-14-1) in OT 4-3. Richie Osborne scored the tying and winning goals.

Northridge had already clinched the BW South and now has 21 points (7-2-0). Fullerton has 10 points (3-5-1), just ahead of Riverside (3-6-0) with 9. Riverside travels to Fullerton Saturday with 2nd place and a spot in the BW Tournament on the line.

17. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now! Since we will miss the Big West and NCAAs, we might as well take you with us :cool:

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In a battle between the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the West Coast Conference, Santa Clara (9-6-1) and St. Mary's (9-3-4) trudged to a 0-0 tie that saw a grand total of 4 shots on goal, 3 by SCU.

The result gets each team closer to first place San Diego (9-6-0, overall), which was idle. San Diego is in 1st place with 21 points (7-1), followed by Santa Clara at 19 (6-2-1) and St. Mary's at 17 (5-2-2).

Both St. Mary's and Santa Clara still have a game left with San Diego, so they each have a good chance to win the league if they win out, though obviously if both win out, Santa Clara would finish ahead of St. Mary's.

19. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    Wow. So I guess I will take it back. I used to root for you all sometimes. Never again. Rude.

20. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamesmanship never hurts anyone. besides, the Locos would be much worse.

I will say this though - I was rooting for CP against Wisconsin a few years back, and Ramses Barden makes us proud repping the Big West in the NFL.

21. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Some random thoughts regarding Torre

One could argue Torre was UCLA's top recruit of the 2012 class after Mario Rodriguez and Pelosi didn't materialize and thus far hasn't performed well enough to be a consistent starter. (Fender actually has received more minutes). To his credit, Torre did play well against the Husky's on Monday and perhaps the recent trip with the 20's bolstered his confidence some. What is bothersome to me is in watching him in the UCSB game and Husky match, he seems to be a bit of a hot head, fouling recklessly and shoving guys. As Bruin fan, I hope that doesn't cost them with a stupid red card in what is the most important part of the season.

Also - Munoz's suspension left a gap at left wing which I would of thought Cummings would of slotted into with Torre back filling in at LB. (Curiously Cummings didn't play vs. Washington). Consider also that Wiet and Cummings will both graduate after this year and it may serve UCLA well if Torre gets some minutes this season as he may be earmarked to be the left sided centerback (where he played at the club level)/ or LB (where he played at w/ the US 20's) next season.

Not sure this is a recent phenomenon w/Salcedo as the Bruins have consistently used the long throw in from Bruin centerback Sofia also. He may have fallen in love with that play when the Bruins converted on a Sofia throw vs. Dartmouth a couple of season's ago at the end of OT that put the Bruins in the Elite 8.

Hararea repped this.
  22. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    In BE Tournament Villanova over Seton Hall 3-1

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  24. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    indiana 1 northwestern 0 at half time. game is live on big ten network right now. zavaleta with the only goal so far.

25. raiderD15

raiderD15 Member

Sep 9, 2011
    UNC gets a 4-0 win against Boston College, its largest scoring output since the season opener. Wake Forest defeats Maryland 4-2. UNC and Maryland both finish 6-1-1 in the conference.
    Edit: ACC Tournament: Maryland gets #1 seed, will play winner of NC State vs. Virginia Tech. UNC gets #2 seed. Wake Forest gets #3 seed. Still figuring out the rest with Virginia still playing NC State