Week 1 Pre/In/Post-game discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Also interesting that Boston is going with the 3-5-2. Would have expected that formation from Seattle actually

2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I doubt that tweet is in order because there's no way Fletch is playing LB and Cox is CB. I would expect Leroux is in the middle, Rapinoe and Goebel on the flanks and Little in the hole. Winters and Fishlock will be DMs

3. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Why would you put Nairn on your line up against Western New York Flash?? How would you know she would have a good match? So confused.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is. And yay for getting Tom Glasgow back to do PBP.

5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Every time she touched the ball there were two players hanging on her...thats why they switched her side of the field

6. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Are you serious? Haha someone had Losada in their line up. I want to cry. That is some deep thinking. Too good for me.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [SEA-BOS]
    02' 0-0 Seattle pass down wide right deflects outward to Leroux behind the LB. Down right touch to 5m, but her high cross sails over endline left. Is this field rubber pellets?

8. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    That crowd looks good in Seattle.

9. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Seattle is shredding the Breaker's back line.

10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #335 Gilmoy, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    10' 0-0 Seattle surges up centerline. Fishlock passes up centerline to box arc top slightly behind Leroux, good one-touch left outstep flick sends Rapinoe through box top mid-left. Whitehill recovers, pokes ball over endline left. Awesome: there's no backstop behind that end of the field, the grass just becomes asphalt and the parking lot. Not even some endboards with local eats ads (hint, hint).

The other endzone is a building. No hill for spectators to sit on beach blankets.

11. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #336 Gilmoy, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    14' 0-0 Boston RB backpasses to Whitehill at 14m (her own) mid-right-- and she dummies over the ball for Naeher :p :thumbsup: Can we teach that at U-10?

21' 0-0 Solo blasts a punt up right touch, Goebels sprints down box right. Cross slightly behind Leroux at 8m 1/3 right, she pushes clear and turns back to gather ball, back heel fools nobody -- Naeher kick-saves out to box top center. Little gathers, jukes left, shoots low 1/4 left, Naeher dives and blocks ball wide, trickles just over endline before she can stop it.

24' 0-0 Little settles at box top mid-right, pulls back and goes centerward. Left instep pass to box top arc left, Rapinoe one-touch drives a curling shot through traffic to the right post -- Naeher dives and blocks ball off the post and wide.

26' 0-0 "... and the flag is up for offsides", boo --

12. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    And this is why I wonder about leroux. All she had to do was turn and she would of scored but she decided on a back heel shot on goal? Turn and that would of been an easy put away.

13. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Little and Rapinoe. What chemistry they have together, they are looking for each other on the pitch trying to always be open for each other.

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like that kid Raheem Sterling vs. Man City. Kid, you can't do two cutbacks in the box -- oh I see carry on then

29' 0-0 O'Reilly walks in through 6m box left vs. light pressure. Simple head-high cross finds 2 teammates bizarrely open at 8m, Lohman lunges into a header behind Solo's lean -- off crossbar 1/5 left and down hard just outside goalline, Seattle CB heads the rebound over endline left. Not a Lampard, but a lampout. NWSL clamors for, um, goalline replays --

15. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    That kinda looked like a dive by Fishlock. Avant has to be a little peeved by that yellow.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    So that was a quick 45 minute. Held my breathe the entire time.
    For the second half, I'm hoping we get more bodies in the middle. And by that I mean, sub out Leroux (must be tired) on put on Kawasumi and push Goebel further up top. Other than that, I think the team looks great. Passing is crisp and they and connecting very well. It looks promising

17. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Have to say Seattle looks damn scary. Scary good. Their transitions from defense to offense is impressive. Its what I wanted to see FCKC play but they had problems sustaining like Seattle is doing. Kim Little comes as advertised, she is very good, great and playing the ball with either foot, can drag a ball between either foot to get a player to over commit and then Little is free to move forward and create and distribute. Little and Rapinoe were switching from forward to midfielder throughout the first half. If Rapinoe collects the ball deep, Little pushes up, same with Little if she is deep. They both already have great chemistry together. Beverley Goebel looked good, she should stay as center forward. Can hold up play, great dribbler, able to distribute like that near attempt on goal by Leroux when a long ball from the back line got to Goebel and she headed the ball to Leroux who was offside but wide open for a shot on goal..

Leroux is a bit disappointing. She cannot play side to side or even diagonally when the Reign are passing to each other and building up and creating space. Leroux looks lead footed. She doesn't have good foot work. When Leroux gets played over the top, she looks very dangerous. Very North South player. I think she has to be a wing forward, Goebel has to be the center forward that can get her the ball.

Boston has to be frustrated that they were not up one goal with Lohman's near goal that hit the crossbar. Tough on the Breakers. They just soaked up the attacks by the Reign and were able to mount several counter attacks. Heather O'Reilly really looks good moving forward on the right side and Naeher had a really outstanding first half. Had to be very alert and saved a sure goal from Rapinoe when she would tip it to the goal post.

18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    real nice play from both teams

19. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    That Reign theme music...so hypnotically addicting.

20. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I want to see Kawasumi. She looked so clinical and precise in the highlights I've seen. Cross it into the box and somebody can put it in the goal. Naeher is a good goalie though. I was impressed with her last year.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Can't say I agree with that call but as a Reign fan, I'll take it. maybe this will open the flood gates

22. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Wow hand ball... seriously that is sloppy defending. Kim Little with the first goal and Little better be in people's teams I think, she is such a good attacking talent.

23. Forgedias

Forgedias Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Seattle pressure, pressure pressure. This is looking ugly for the Breakers now.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    48' 0-0 O'Reilly takes the RB down to box left foot, dances along the endline tightrope, keeps ball in. Backpass to Sanderson at 12m center, she can't control it -- spins to backshield, backpass above arc top, all that work wasted. Kyle tries to control, Little robs her -- counters up centerline to 27m, taps left, 2nd tap to Rapinoe at 9m wide left. Soft ground cross to nobody -- but Jones, facing back to her own box right foot, clears ball straight up into her flapping arm. PK ...

49' 1-0 Little pk, right instep hard rising into back left edge 1/2 high, Naeher couldn't get there.

52' 1-0 Leroux squares to Little at box top center. She jukes right to clear a huge seam, blasts right instep rising to 1/4 left crossbar -- Naeher stretches and blocks it over.

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Can I adopt Kim Little???