We will not survive the hex with Jurgen as our manager

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EXALIFTIN, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I would hope you don't survive anyway. Mods can you move this to Big Politics please.

RevPOWA repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on all the way.

Everyone was bagging on Klinsmann for picking Eddie Johnson and Alan Gordon for this match. And say what you want about the rest of the game, and maybe it shouldn't have been that close, whatever whatever whatever, but... in the end, it was Gordon with the assist and Johnson with the game-winner. JK's two "controversial" selections were the ones who saved our collective asses. JK should be extending a big fat "f*** you" to a lot of people right now.

I'm not JK's biggest fan either (or really a fan at all at this point). But let's not forget the results here. In this round, we've only lost one match, and that was on the road, against a decent opponent, in a match where we had the lead and saw the other team hit two free kicks, which is a huge anomaly. We've won a road match on a terrible field under tough conditions, and drew on the road against the second-best team in the group. And we've won both our home games.

In other words, we've pretty much done exactly what you need to do in qualifying to this point. Hold serve at home, and pick off points away.

Do we look good in the process? Not really. Do we have issues? Hell yes. We're still in a position where one bad result could foul up everything. But let's not lose our minds just yet.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  3. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    There's two big differences between the two.

First off, we were robbed of a goal against Slovenia which would have put us on 4 points heading into the last game. And then we were robbed of an early goal against Algeria.

Also, under Bradley, this team played determined, gritty, never say die soccer.

Under Klinsmann we look listless, toothless and disinterested pretty much every time out.

Say what you want about field conditions, poor weather, etc. Those are things we can't control. One thing we can control is our effort. And that has been pure shit under Klinsmann. And that reflects directly on the coach.

4. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its all about imposing your style on the opposition, including finishing chances. We have rarely been on a roll, historically, where we dictate play, take our chances and make the games that ought to be easy, on paper, come out that way on the field.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How convenient. It made sense because we have no choice, as you say, and we have no choice because Klinsi lined it up that way with his personnel choices.

"because he played at LCB" - Did he not make the same kind of play on the other side in his first game at CB? I vaguely remember something like that and critics saying he was trying to play like a mid instead of a cb.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We're down something like 5 players and we're now officially out of LBs (USSF just announced that Fabian Johnson is still ill and isn't returning to camp). And, they also announced that no replacements are being called.

Could the point be any more clear?

Erlking repped this.
  7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Yep.
    Against Scotland?

8. Bookmesir

Bookmesir Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Aarau
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Klinnsi's best decision in A & B was to sub Jones in knowing his chances of picking up a yellow were nearly automatic, thus leaving him ineligible to play in the home match that will (hopefully) secure passage to the Hex.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Not sure, not worth looking up

Boca should be fine against Guat at LB, or Parkhurst.

10. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    If true, the problem will surface again.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    That is not an acceptable answer from our manager in a critical qualifier, though I'm sure he would answer the same as you have just done. Which is why I no longer trust him one iota.

12. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bocanegra would get scorched against Guatamala at left back, if he does not replace Goodson in the middle, we are in trouble. I fault Klinsmann is not calling in replacements given the LB situation, in my opinion mind-boggling.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so guatamala will send enormous numbers forward and risk losing away and missing out on the world cup?

seriously? guatemala is going to bunker.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they watched us play Jamaica at home they might think twice, Jamaica played much better once they came out from the bunker and took the game to us

15. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shouldn't count on that, and we shouldn't discount their speed on the counter if they do play conservatively.

In either case, this is no excuse for playing a left back (Bocanegra) out of position where he is off the pace, and including a center back (Goodson) who is not in the best form for his club.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most people in here never did.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. Maybe we play edu and cameron instead.

18. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure what the solution is at left back (again, I do not understand why we do not call in replacements, but that is on the coach), but I would contend that Bocanegra and Cameron are our best pairing in the center.

19. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man talk about an abrupt end to a honeymoon period!!:D We will qualify for the Hex and World cup:p

Let's be honest, JK did a lot sweet talking to earn his job so, this was bound to happen if things were not going perfectLY!! I believe we will come through when it counts and will qualify.

20. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interesting to correlate political party affiliation with positions on Big Soccer hot button topics like: Klinsmann, Freddie, the Bradleys, etc.

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guatemala is gonna play with 5 dmids and 5 defenders.

22. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first impression this question did not strike me as particularly interesting [and the list of potential confounding variables kinda enormous], but on reflection I realized that I would be interested in hearing as to why you believe it is interesting. So, Erlking, can you fill us in?

23. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz is going to do his damndest to score the goal that kills us off..... that is one wild card to keep an eye on.

24. Detcelfer

Detcelfer Member

Jun 30, 2011
    WA - USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mlssoccer.com interview with EJ:
    “I know there’s got to be a lot of people saying that it wasn’t our best performance. But people fail to realize how difficult these World Cup qualifiers are, especially the away [games], when you have to play under these tough conditions,” he said.
    “It’s been raining here a lot and the pitches don’t hold water really well, so it was a very heavy pitch, a muddy pitch and a tight pitch. It didn’t allow us to play to our strengths and they made it difficult for us. But we grinded out the result"
    “But one cool thing is that coach just said, ‘Play to your strengths. I know we’re asking you to play a different role, but you’ll be fine, and you’ll do well.’ So I just tried to feed off that positivity and go out there and play the way I’m capable of playing.”

Bolivianfuego, Ganapper and gmonn repped this.
  25. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LostU...just a hunch, and I might be all wet, and just wondering if the conservative mindset favored a certain approach to our national team vs the progressive mind set.