We will not survive the hex with Jurgen as our manager

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EXALIFTIN, Oct 12, 2012.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Manager? Or their FA looking to put them over the edge and qualify for the WC?

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This one was DEFINITELY my personal favorite. I have to admit that I was a bit worried myself, but I held myself in check because it was early (and our first loss was still a road game). I figured as long as we could squeak a win vs Costa Rica, we were still in it. Luckily that ended up happening.

Statman repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    And has the jigglies to come back and post. That's what separates the Mr. Warmths from the boys.

4. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He does make the occassional blunder and when he does it is often really big, but he has learned from each and every one and seldom repeats the same mistakes. It was not always a smooth ride, but we are changing our entire mentality about how we approach a game and for such a major change the results have far and exceeded the expectation of even his most ardent supporters.

5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's where I was, too. Mexico's implosion is the biggest shock of 2013 in CONCACAF. We just "won" the home-away qualification series against Mexico for the first time ever, and Mexico is an unbelievable 0W-3T-1L at home in the Hex. I doubt anyone on the planet expected that.

I expected the US to finish 2nd behind Mexico, although I also thought 3d was possible if the muddled/drab US performances of the prior round continued through the Hexagonal. Through the prior round, roughly JK's first 12-14 months in charge, he was only getting a pedestrian "C" grade in my book. But even a C performance, an average US performance, should be good enough to qualify out of the Hex.

But JK switched to younger CBs and that was my #1 complaint back in 2011 and 2012, so that made me very happy. Then JK started playing 4 attackers more often, rather than continuing BB's post-WC experiments with 3 central mids and 3 attackers, and I was also happy. Finally, Jozy and Donovan returned to the XI and I was thrilled. All my major lineup complaints are gone and the squad is coming together well now.

I'm still puzzled that JK hasn't called in Lichaj for even a training look for any friendlies or the B-team Gold Cup, and I think he's missed a couple of opportunities to use Guzan in friendlies rather than over-work Howard, but those are relatively minor issues that I suspect will be corrected soon, too. And on the unexpected positive side, he's gotten better performances than I expected from Evans, EJ, Beasley (at LB; I always wanted him called in for LM), and Beckerman, so that a nice bonus.

Since the end of the prior qualifying round, JK gets a B+/A- in my book. On to the World Cup!

6. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bringing in English League players worked for them 16 years ago, so you can't really blame them for trying it again.

7. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    True, but this should be instructive. Much of the region is benefiting from MLS. It's a trend.

8. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is a true story. a very. true. story. no way in hell will we get out of the hex if klinsmann is in charge

TX Bill and beerslinger23 repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe histrionic the first time, and I never got on board there. But I'm starting to truly believe it this time around with the lack of ideas this guy has to turn over the roster and properly utilize players. This was a meaningless friendly competitively which should just be setting us up for the future, yet he starts Jermaine Jones, Tim Howard, MOF, and Brad Evans. Are you kidding me? Jozy and Cameron are kind of bad enough because we know what to expect out of them. And we know what to expect out of Shea as a LW starter. He's a bench guy. No CAM to start. One CAM on the roster we knew what to expect out of, the other will be 31-32 next WC. Defensive fb's with limited speed. Little width supplied there. Such conservatism considering the situation, location, and opponent. Klinsmann is anti-development. He's playing for his job every game, and it's ironically going to cost him it eventually. Let's rip that band-aid off finally.

11. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama is playing much better against Mexico than we did on Saturday

12. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd be scared about making the hex at all if we'd gotten Costa Rica's draw

13. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Member

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 17, 2014
    NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they did beat them with only 10 men 3 months ago.

PhillyandBCEagles repped this.
  14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I was willing to give it a shot and we did look pretty good against Nigeria, then it all kind of fell apart.

Two rotations is too many. Need a new coach for this cycle.

15. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would laugh if we kept Klinsmann and took a draw with SV&G followed by a loss at T&T. Right now, I'm not worried about getting out of the Hex, I'm worried about getting to the Hex in the first place.

Elninho and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  16. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is Inconceivable we don't get to the Hex.... but, then, that's what the Sicilian said...;)

brewcity77 repped this.
  17. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely inconceivable. Just as inconceivable as us losing four straight on home soil to CONCACAF teams.

I actually think we have a better chance of getting eliminated during this round than we do in the Hex. Last time around, we were 1-1-1 after the first batch of games and in third place in our group. If not for second half goals by Gomez against Jamaica (Bachelor party reward for me in Columbus) and Eddie Johnson (in the 90th) in Antigua, we would have been knocked out at that stage.

Everyone says this group looks like a breeze, but the first three games include road trips to T&T and Guatemala. We've done okay at T&T historically (5W/2D/3L) but it's no guarantee we get anything out of that game, and we've only ever won once at Guatemala (1W/5D/3L). It's all hypothetical, but given our current form against CONCACAF teams, we could be in a lot of trouble in a hurry, and with only 6 games in this round, there's very little margin for error. We didn't wrap up the Hex until the final day of qualifying at this stage the last time. I'm not at all confident we'll do better this time around.

18. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    [​IMG]

19. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is very conceivable that the US could not even make the Hex at all. :eek:

20. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Conceivable - "capable of being imagined or grasped mentally."

22. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

23. silverllama

silverllama Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Still play in Concacaf. The concern in the hex will only depend on who makes it. Also a let down from other teams will benefit the US a lot.

24. brewcity77

brewcity77 Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're about as good at getting pop culture references as this guy...

[​IMG]

25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The previous image (not this one) was from that movie with the Inigo Montoya quote that everyone likes, right?