We want Adu

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by BenfromUSA, May 29, 2013.

1. jlasoon

jlasoon Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Are you a SeaOtter?

2. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said it was an acceptable performance? Not me.

I'm pretty sure the question was whether or not I was surprised by the result, not whether I found it acceptable.

3. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you trying to convince me that you were actually referring to one of these?

[​IMG]

4. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not honestly?? Can't say it would hurt, he wouldn't even have to start, just as an emergency guy we can sub in to see if he can provide a spark, kind of like the role feilhaber had at one point

5. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    been waiting years for this, but after many reviews, "The Pass" (vs Panama - Gold Cup) that freddy makes was in no way intended for Donovan on the wing. He looked up and saw Demps and/or Jones breaking thru the middle, he over hit it and it lands in the path of Donovan way out wide.

There..I said it.

That should be the poll, did he mean to hit Donovan. 2:40 minute mark.

6. bornsteinforlife

Jun 21, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    It was 100% to Donovan. Freddy has great vision - he sees runs and passes that other players wouldn't even remotely think of doing. This is kinda why he's better when he plays w/ better players like Jozy, Dempsey, and Donovan, and why he is mediocre when playing w/ the likes of Pajoy and Danny Cruz.

7. bornsteinforlife

Jun 21, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    You obviously don't get sarcasm.

8. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was hoping this thread was a joke, Clearly see it isn't.

Skevin, JeremyEritrea and Berks repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ditto.

10. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Unless a player is playing consistently for their club then they shouldn't be playing for the national side. Holden was an exception solely because he was injured for nearly 2 years and Jurgen wanted Holden to be playing even during the off season. Plus Holden was a very good midfielder prior to his injury and Jurgen knows that an in form Holden can be a game changer.

Once Freddy starts playing consistently in Brazil and is putting in good performances, he deserves to be called in.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know, and I'm crossing my fingers for that to happen. Adu is necessary.

However, there is another problem: Adu is an artist, and as such, not given to follow by-the-letter discipline. He's the opposite of Teutonic "Mäßigkeit," and frankly I don't think this is the sort of universe where a guy like Klinsmann would get along with a man like Freddy.

mikeivan repped this.
  12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    JK can't even bring himself to use the way over rated Corona whom he likes, maybe he keeps him around because he knows how pathetic his Latin pandering sounds now, like many other pathetic statements he has made.
    He won't give Mix a sniff, who doesn't impress me all that much either but he clearly has offensive skills, but both these guys play ball with JK speak...well, who knows how much longer Mix will put up with his idiocy.

I said it a few mths in...no way JK calls in Freddy unless he is blowing doors off. Just like his ego won't allow him to call LD. Ain't happening.

13. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an adu echo chamber

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adu does remind me a bit of an artist. He can't hold a real job for more than a year or two at a time, and all the bosses he's ever had haven't been impressed by his alleged abilities.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    There are only a few Adu haters out there.

There is a hardcore bunch of Adu fans, one in particular, who screams like a little child when any critique of Adu is made. It made the forums unreadable for years, and he is still monopolizing, and making insane statements that cause a lot of it. U need to accept and understand that also.

Adu needs to play. I have always said it, and always will, and as long as he doesn't the WC savior talk, top five in the world talent crap, will draw it's share of scorn.

Until he plays regularly it's just a bunch of kids with their panties in a twist yelling the usual kid stuff.

Berks, wixson7 and JeremyEritrea repped this.
  16. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden, Williams, Shea, another random german, etc...

Maybe we should call up Charlie Davies as well. At least he scored goals in the MLS. Holden is the most overrated player on this board. Not because of his talent, because he is talented, it is that he doesn't play for two years and is still held to high regard while Adu has to perform at a high level in a league superior to the one Stu is in and the MLS but of course, it doesn't matter right. I could really care less. We will probably call in another random MLS stud of the month who is an international flop. We got some haters here who love to single people out and have zero soccer sense whatsoever and I could really care less about them and always looked at them like scrub posters. Not you Skevin, while we may disagree, at least we stop feuding since it is not worth it.

17. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
  18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could neg rep the quoted post. Alas, Big Soccer no longer has that feature

FlipsLikeAPancake and ImaPuppy repped this.
  19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    My name is Aduesque,
    And just like Freddy I am the best,
    Greatest of all time,
    Damn system screwin us all the time
    Oh oh mom is callin,
    Gotta go change my diapers as I'm all in!

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden was called in for a reason tho. Adu has played poorly. Holden was called in because he doesn't need an offseason right now he needs training and game experience to help him recover from his injuries and get back into the swing of things. Which is what this round (training) and gold cup (playing) are for. If he plays bad in the gold cup and then bad when back with bolton im sure he wont get called in for the world cup.

21. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true. He also plays big against the Hollands, Brasils, Spains, and Argentinas, Juventus, Celtic.

22. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ImaPuppy and Zoidberg repped this.
  23. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd call him up for the Gold Cup. I agree it's delusional to suggest that he would single handedly make our team WC contenders but he has proven to be a good spark in the past and does have good technical and creative ability. Honestly, why the hell not?

Aduesque repped this.
  24. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest, I want Adu. Who cares about his club level, hell Altidore was far more productive for the NT when his club career was stagnating, so why not? What's the worst that can happen if we bring Adu on the roster? Waste a roster spot? Half our roster does that already, one more won't hurt

Numero Dos, CTS26, Aduesque and 2 others repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No Adu fan here, but sometimes is good to think out of the box. I don't see JK ever doing it. In order to call Adu now, you'd need to have a plan pre-formed, and need a player of Adu's characteristics to make such plan work.

That is the sort of stuff a real coach, with experience, would do. Like Bob, for example. But Jürgen is not like that. He doesn't call players based on their need for a plan (I doubt he has an actual tactical plan per each game), but he just calls those that seem to be the highest ranked at a given moment.

Even if that means playing with no creative midfielders at all.

CTS26 and Zoidberg repped this.