We have lost one of the good guys.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I have fond memories of hanging out with a fellow "internet nut".

My condolences to Chico's family.

RIP Brother.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    lot of stuff to sill do today and few hours left so I'll just repost from facebook

Earlier tonight DC supporters lost a man who I think is the most influential person to ever walk our stands. Many of you knew Chico but for those who didn't have the privilege allow me to share a few of my experiences.

In 2004 Chico was the first person who approached me at United game (tidbit that I apparently share ridiculous amount of DC supporters). If it wasn't for him I might not have come back. Later that year, when I was broke (from making banners, heh) and had no money to go to LA for the cup he offered to pay for my plane, then let me stay with him whole weekend. He knew me for less than 4 months at the time.

During mid 2000s trips to Columbus it was Chico who drove vans, there and back, so rest of us monkeys could drink during the trip. He just wanted us to have fun. People say that someone would give you a shirt of their back, but he literally did. I have more jerseys of The Strongest than Dinamo, more from Bolivia than Croatia.

In 2010, when he couldn't make it to RFK regularly due to health, and we were a tiny struggling group, Chico bought a ticket from us for every game then let us resell it. I think half of DU tifo that year was financed by his tickets.

He was the kindest, most generous person I have ever known. He lived without regret and fear and truly was the biggest inspiration and greatest friend one could ask for. On Wednesday game (and every other, but especially this one), please honor his memory by giving your 100% for 90 minutes. That's all he ever asked for.

3. carolinab

carolinab Member+

Aug 21, 2000
    D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bermuda
    I don't think I knew that about the Cup trip. That is so Chico.

Like everyone else, he really made me feel so welcome at games. "Hey darlin'!" and a big hug and a pass of the rum bottle.

4. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chico was one of the first guys I met in the Barra as well. I think the last time we really hung out was last Summer when Pops was back from Afghanistan for his birthday, which is also my birthday. We all had steaks at Outback with Mark and it cheered me up from what was otherwise a totally craptastic birthday.

RIP Chico. It hasn't been the same without you around at RFK in a while and it won't be the same without you from now on.

5. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    wow, such sad news. Never knew him but from the stories I now do. Quite a guy. Sorry to never have met him.

R.I.P

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So very sorry for your loss. I met him very briefly whe you guys hosted MLS Cup 2007. Stand up guy.

Fair winds and following seas.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Never knew him much more than a tailgate acquaintance, but he definitely stood out as one of the nice guys. He always took the time to welcome a newbie, even if that newbie wasn't particularly a DC United fan.

You could tell he was proud to be part of the DC supporter family, and that's how he thought of all of us ... as his extended family even if he didn't know your name.

RIP

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I posted this on Facebook...

I've just learned that we lost one of the great people around. I'm going to miss Javier Chico Solares, the most generous person one could hope to know. That my story is so similar to hundreds of other folks that knew him from DC United matches says it all really.

That last sentence was the best way I could sum up what a massive character he was in the culture of DC United.

dadman repped this.
  9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Damn.

I know he's been sick for a while. Is that what finally got him?

10. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to him?

11. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Sad news.

This has devestated my morning. One of things I always look forward to every DCU game I go to is running into Chico.

We'd often share some ribbing over Strongest/Bolivar, Drunk conversations over the game, or just syaing hello to each other over me bumming a cig' off of him lol.

I'll miss ya buddy, I'll pray for a safe route home to the big man upstairs!

One of the greatest human beings I have ever met. He'd take the shirt off his back and give it to you if you needed it.

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd had heart issues in the past. Recently, he'd had some more problems diagnosed. He had heart surgery coming up; but the sense I (and, I think, other people) had was that while he needed to have the surgery, he didn't need to have it right away. Things seemed stable. I was mainly worried about the surgery itself -- which he was worried about, but took comfort in the fact that he had very good docs handling the surgery. This was really unexpected.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I only knew him through BigSoccer but I came to really like his input as he seemed reasonable and well-thought, willing to criticize and seek change but able to keep things in perspective as well. Passionate but not over-zealous.

Reading everyone's stories here makes me wish I had met him in person and reminds me that life is precious.

To all his many friends and family, I offer my most heart-felt condolences. He will be missed.

14. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I literally can't remember ever hearing anyone say anything bad about Chico.

I can't figure out how to embed stuff, so just click the link and listen:

http://youtu.be/MxlzX52-Ajw

15. Razmatazz05

Razmatazz05 New Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    hadnt been on here in so long i had to create a new login. but Chico was the most welcoming person i had ever met. some gringo yinzer from pittsburgh emails him and wants to join the party in cbus. just bring IC Light mang! he embodied all that was Barra Brava and DC United. Watch over 136 from the big press box in the sky!

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Condolences from Columbus. Guys like that you can't ever replace--so honor them while they are here.

17. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Very, very sad news.

Like so many others here have posted, Chico was one of the elders who made me feel most welcome when I came to a few Barra tailgates in 2004 and wound up joining the following year. Whether it was at a tailgate, hanging out behind 135 at halftime or watching a game at Kilroy's - Chico was always a warm friend to have a drink with and shoot the breeze - about United's performance, stadiums, Bolivian politics or Airtight Grannies (he never did get around to lending me the DVD).

Thoughts and prayers go out to Carlos and all the Solares family.

Vaya con Dios, amigo!

18. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cant believe this... the one thing that is for sure is that his legacy will live on forever.

just look at how many of us (myself included) would not be part of DC United if not for chico!

19. beardybluedcu

beardybluedcu New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    I didn't know Chico beyond some friendly hellos in Lot 8 and some friendly exchanged messages on Facebook, but the hole left in the collective hearts of the United fan community speaks volume for the type of guy he was. I'm truly sad not only that he's gone but that I didn't get to know him better.

RIP, brother. You will be missed.

20. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't know Chico well, but here on BS and IRL he was a good dude the times I got to talk to him. We vibed once on our love for Michigan Football at a tailgate the first year I moved to DC and started attending United matches. True class act and very welcoming and friendly...like others, I'm shocked at the news. Rest well, Chico.

21. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Via Fred Matthes, the team is aware of the supporters groups minute of silence in the 12th minute
    (11:00-11:59), will participate and also has made the broadcast team aware.

Well done DCU.

22. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP. My condolences to the DCU family.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never met Chico personally. I just interacted with him here on BigSoccer, but in my conversations with him here over the years, I could tell that he was good people -- warm, humble, genuine, and witty -- and I could tell that he was someone that I would've liked to meet in person one day.

And judging from some of the epitaphs in this thread for him, I think that my impression of him was pretty close to accurate, and I am sorry that I will not have the chance to meet him in person.

Rest in peace, Chico.

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As I got to know Chico on the boards over the years, I came to realize that he was a real mensch. And that's about the best any man can hope to be.

25. ElCaBrOnCeLeStE

Jan 6, 2009
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Couldn't have said it better, if there was one thing I could count on at the DCU games, it was seeing a scruffy smile with a pair of black sunglasses and a scrappy baseball cap. Talking smack about our bolivian teams, drinking a brew and cheering on DCU. You'll def be missed CHICO. Q.E.P.D.