We have lost one of the good guys.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some of you, in fact many of you probably know Chico13. I'm sorry to have to share the news with you all that he passed away tonight.

Rest in peace Chico. We will miss you so much, friend.

2. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I have no words.

3. Doug Dobey

Doug Dobey New Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't come on here much anymore, but wanted to sign in to express my condolences to those of you who were closest to Chico. He was a great man and a great friend to all of the Richmond Barra. He will be sorely missed.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Mary and I showed up at our first Barra tailgate, Chico took us under his wing and took us around to meet people. The whole "nervous-and-don't-know-anyone" went away very quickly, and we came back. At the time, I was unemployed and depressed; I made friends, felt better, and a lot of things in my life turned around. So much of the last eight years of my life might have been completely, utterly different if it wasn't for the kindness and interest he showed us back then, which I have never forgotten.

Thank you. I will miss you.

This is awful.

5. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I ever met him in person, but I have enjoyed reading his posts in a wide range of forums here on bs. RIP.

Toast him well at your tailgate tomorrow night.

6. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this is terrible, I have never met him in person but he always had a kindness that would ring out with all of his posts. Someone should really get in touch with someone from DCU so he can be honored in some fashion.

7. pkhooligan

pkhooligan Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Dead. City.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP brother. A great man who loved and took care of everyone in the DC United family, including this drunk asshole. Never a day around him without a laugh, a beer, and a good time.

8. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    I can only echo what others have said -- I did not know him personally, but I felt as if I knew him well enough here and as a consequence I liked him enormously. These boards were made livelier and more entertaining and more enlightening by virtue of his participation, and he no doubt will be missed sorely. But that is nothing compared to the void he certainly leaves among his family and those who truly knew him, and I can't imagine their sadness. We are all born towards dying, as the saying goes, but when it happens (as it must) and it pains us, that is one of the surest signs of someone who was a worthwhile individual. We should all say prayers this week for his soul.

9. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Chico. I'll miss you brother.

[​IMG]

10. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Chico. I didn't know you personally, but you'll be missed by this Zappa-loving DC United fan. :(

This shot of bacon-flavored vodka is to you. Salute!

11. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a few minutes ago, I saw that Napoleon Murphy Brock's band is coming to town soon. Chico was a big fan of his and enjoyed when he was here for the first tour of Zappa Plays Zappa; and I thought of when we went to the last ZPZ show at the Warner a couple of years ago. I guess I won't be asking him if he wants to go to see the Grandmothers of Invention. Shit.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. I'm so sorry for your loss.

A few years ago we had a minor spat about something trivial on BS. I felt like an idiot later and sent him a PM to apologize. He replied with this:

"Same here bro, I apologize,too. Nothing personal and I appreciate and admire you taking the high road here. Please look me up at a Barra tailgate and it would be my pleasure to share a brewski with you."

We never met...and I regret that. He seemed like he'd be a great guy to have a beer with.

RIP.

14. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Since I don't live in D.C. anymore I don't get to RFK very often, and I won't be there tonight, so I hope I can pass along my condolences to everyone through here.

I met Chico going to United games growing up, as quite a few others did who were in high school and/or college in MLS' early years. He was a great friend and always had a huge smile.

After I moved out of town, when I came back I would make a point of coming by the Barra Brava to say hello. Even a few times when I was working at games I would sneak downstairs before kickoff or at halftime. He still remembered me even years after I had left D.C., and treated me as he would have anyone who was there every week.

Rest in peace, Chico, and here's hoping the D.C. fans knock the roof off RFK tonight as a tribute.

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only met a couple times, a couple times up in DC and once down here in charleston a couple years ago but he was a great guy and was liked and respected by many.

Rest in Peace Chico13

16. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A huge generous loving soul has left this veil of tears.

Rest in peace, Chico

dadman repped this.
  17. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow this is stunning news. I met Chico a few times at the tailgate. Really an awesome dude to talk to even if it was just for a few minutes. My biggest memory though is a couple of years ago at Finn Mac Cools (Molly Malones now). Dude bought me a couple of rounds of drinks for no reason. We just talked about that day's game.

RIP Chico. :(

18. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    ¡Descansa en paz, Chico!

19. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    I'm in shock.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Take it light on the other side Big Man.

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chico wasn't an extremely loud guy; and yet his friendliness and kindness was so big it filled a room. The world seems so much emptier this morning.

Carlos wherever you are I'm thinking of you.

21. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I had the same experience with Chico several years ago - My own schedule keeps me away from most tailgates, but Chico was ALWAYS a friend I could recognize

God bless his friends and family during this time

"He will be remembered"

22. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Never met him except "here." Always funny and sometimes mordant in his observations. This is just awful. RIP my fellow "internet nut".

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It says so much about Chico that so many stories remembering him start like this. Mine is nearly identical.

I joined here when I was 16 and had gotten season tickets as soon as my drivers license was in my hand and my parents would let me drive to DC alone for games. My seat was near the Barra but I wanted to really experience it. Chico seemed like a nice guy on here and I sent him a PM asking if I could meet up with him at the next tailgate. He of course welcomed me and told me just to ask for him in the tailgate area. When I walked down there and did that someone just laughed when I asked for him - apparently I wasn't the first one he'd indoctrinated. They led me over to him and he instantly treated me like family, because that's how he treated everyone.

This news is so hard to get. Chico was loved by everyone and I hope he passed at least with that knowledge. Rest in peace, brother.

24. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap...I haven't interacted with many of the Barra (given our distance), but Chico's one of the few with whom I had occasionally exchanged banter, both here and live. He was a totally awesome guy, and one of the reasons we joined up. You'll be missed, brother. Raise hell in what comes next.

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like many others I'd never met him, just "knew" him from BS posts.

Seemed like a stand-up guy and he will be missed. My condolences to his family. :mad: